Sign in to follow this  
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

Why is it usually better to turn into torpedoes when dodging?

8 comments in this topic

Question

Players
2,182 posts
20,314 battles

Hi,

I have poor geometrical and spatial imagination. Can anyone explain the geometry behind the fact it is usually more effective to dodge a torp spread by turning into the torpedoes, rather than turning away from them? Or better yet, are there maybe animation videos to visualize it?

In the same vein, I'd appreciate simple animation videos about torpedo aiming, especially with respect to shooting predictive torps based on anticipated evasive manoeuvres, if anybody should happen to know such resources.

7 answers to this question

Players
123 posts
9,715 battles

Simple diagram I once made to explain this. Above, moving towards the torps; below, moving away from them:

torps.thumb.jpg.f9088a1579b268df1c94a906aac3f6a5.jpg

There are more factors involved (like your ship turns stern first so it's easier to dodge the torps as they pass you). For an example, see a few of these torpedobeats

See how when turning into the torps, the stern moves away from them? This also helps. (sorry, English not main language, so I'm not explaining myself very well)

Regarding the torpedo aiming tips, I recommend this guide, no videos, it uses simple diagrams but it's very useful. https://imgur.com/a/SJpbq Credit to Reddit user /u/sBcNikita.

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
27 posts
3,408 battles
8 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Hi,

I have poor geometrical and spatial imagination. Can anyone explain the geometry behind the fact it is usually more effective to dodge a torp spread by turning into the torpedoes, rather than turning away from them? Or better yet, are there maybe animation videos to visualize it?

In the same vein, I'd appreciate simple animation videos about torpedo aiming, especially with respect to shooting predictive torps based on anticipated evasive manoeuvres, if anybody should happen to know such resources.

You can get out much faster from their trajectory. You go in one direction the torps are going in a different one.

[CATS]
Players
26,154 posts
14,106 battles

When you turn into them, you can aim the bow between the torps.

When you turn away, you have to guess more where the torpedos will be. The danger of turning to much and getting your aft section in front of the torps is greater.

[DUDES]
WoWs Wiki Team, WoWs Wiki Team
1,795 posts
16,573 battles

On a more abstract level the act of turning in rather than out of the torpedo fan minimises the coss section (for example a straight cut through a cylinder, but this is an example without any movement though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cylindric_section.svg ) in terms of space and time.

This means you will show the smallest area towards the torps for - simultaneously - the shortest amount of time because the ship moves in the opposite direction. If you turn out this extends the time the line of torps cross you ship's path because the ship moves in the same direction of the torps.

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Torps usually come from somewhere your front sector and by turning into them you can minimize your size as target lot faster.

(of course if torps come from behind beam then you should turn away)

Also let's imagine situation in which you're directly in torpedo's path.

And in first scenario you're facing torpedo.

When you try to avoid torpedo turn takes fast closest part of ship (bow) away from torp's path and while torpedo reaches your bow, you still have time to get stern out of its way.

Again let's analyze it when running away from torpedo:

Trying to move ship aside from torp's path again turns bow away from it's path, but that same turn also moves closest part of the ship, stern, even more into its path.

Also if you're moving in oblique angle just to front of torpedo, you can wait for bow to get out of torp's path and then try to swing stern away from torps path.

That work's because ship turns around certain "mid" point with tail actually moving sideways during turn.

Now let's do it again with torpedo coming from say rear and little right:

If you turn towards right stern swings left and is even more in torp's path.

If you turn left getting out of torps path takes even more time, because first part of turn puts you directly in front of torps.

Then continuing turn swings stern to right even more into torpedo's path.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
933 posts

But if u find yourself in a situation were u a cought stern on With Torps inbound.....decelerate if u can. Torps pass u more quickly then, and u can accelerate and change heading sooner. 

Players
930 posts
8,866 battles

Another thing you have to realise is that torps travel rather slowly. When you turn away you your bow moves away from the torps but you stay in their trajectory, in fact, you give them more time to hit you and that way you collect more than if you turn in and your bow turns into space where the torps will have passed already by the time you get there. (heck I cant remember the last time i used future perfect)

Sign in to follow this