Sign in to follow this  
TomBombardil

Worried CV Rework

119 comments in this topic

Players
1,413 posts
8,238 battles
27 minutes ago, megaducky said:

In essence, the skill gap was what motivated me to play.

I agree on this. When I play tier 5 - 7 carriers I feel useful to my team. I can do much more than playing with the other clases. Also it's a responsability. Having to protect the team, sinking enemy ships, helping your team to win (Usually when I see an enemy dd near one of our battleships I see him in troubles and I do an anvil/scissors attack on that dd. Usually sinking it, for instance).

Also sometimes it's funny to see my own team surprised that a carrier actually goes to the frontline instead of going to the edge of the map like everybody else does.
I'm glad carriers aren't just one more class.

• Cool 2

[-SOG-]
Players
385 posts
7,659 battles

The sad part is that CVs have been reworked so much, I got bored when they removed the manual drop for low tiers since I feel like it is more luck than skill to land hits, the only part I feel like I can contribute with is the scouting part as per today, leading me to play my T5 in CO-OP just to get past the ridiculous auto-drop that is to easy to avoid. My problem when learning was to land the manual drops, going to close and land hits before the steelfishes had activated but I liked the point of having an RTS-mini-game inside a larger arcade game. But then they dumbed it down with autodrops and I do not enjoy it right now. What would have helped me was more information around the manual dropping part, maybe some predictor like on DDs or a line showing minimum distance for activation of torpedoes or something like that, not to remove the manual part totally. 

I have hopes for this rework and looking forward to see what they come up with, hopefully this can five us more CVs to play around with and not the rock/paper/scissor that it felt like when meeting a Bouge and fins out if he had air or strike, nothing in between. 

[-GBF-]
Players
765 posts
3,380 battles

Personally I think this "rework" could be a good thing. Could mean that we dont get a CV master on one team and a window licker CV on the other.

Players
76 posts
5,639 battles

I sometime watch streams of good CV players and I noticed one thing which is kinda of double standard..basicly he/she plays average do lets say 70 k of damage and after the game  he/she get commend by at least 5 people (and this is not happening once). If others unknown player performs the same or better he/she usually gets at least 1 report :)...it is good to be famous no ;)?

Considering CV rework no one know what it will be but more and more news are confirming that they will be like WOP....and I do not like that....but then again this is arcade and not rts game  so....maybe more people will play cvs then. 

Edited by Bainsmit_steel

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,233 posts
11,362 battles

Any news/leaks about the rework?

[POP]
Players
512 posts
10,477 battles

In this video you can hear someone shouting "pull up! pull up!" in the background.

DCS wows confirmed.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
12,671 posts
18,124 battles

Well, we already know how the current prototype works thanks to an official dev video, making this one kinda moot especially considering you see no actual gameplay, thus no new information.

[GURKA]
Players
4,217 posts
9,302 battles
17 hours ago, Altsak said:

In this video you can hear someone shouting "pull up! pull up!" in the background.

DCS wows confirmed.

Kamikaze confirmed :D

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,987 posts
4,135 battles
On 18-5-2018 at 11:17 PM, GhostRider_24 said:

Personally I think this "rework" could be a good thing. Could mean that we dont get a CV master on one team and a window licker CV on the other.

Lets be real: this is WoWs and if there is one thing in abundance here it is mouth breathing windowlickers.

There is going to be a skillgap, as otherwise you might as well have all CVs be bot controlled. (Also AFKers will probably perform worse than a CV that actually does stuff)

Also if they are going for this supposed style of gameplay where you directly control 1 squad current AA mechanics need a serious rework as well. Instant death/giant no-fly- zones of automatic RNG based AA checks are not going to work with this.

Players
76 posts
5,639 battles

A lot would change if they change CV play on that way. I think that it will be much like WOWP...which is kinda of meh for me but at the end we might be surprised (hope dies last:) ). I think that it will not be easy to rework CVs on such way and not to balance the rest of the game...also a bit off topic...in those few days I lost 30+ games and won only 5 no matter how I play good or bad (I got 220k of damage loss, I killed enemy CV loss, enemy CV is afk loss, I kill 2 out of 3 dds loss, I criple the best player of enemy team loss...etc..etc, In 10 games out of 30 I can say that I am outplayed) ...but I managed one thing which is not easily achievable...I managed to get exactly 0 damage in entire game and to spot two times and get to kill 4 planes...I was not trolling I gave my best and still managed to get this great achievement :)...enemy AA division in literally 5 minutes killed 6+ ships and destroyed at least 30 of my planes...I am not great player but this should not happen on such scale that enemy team is Super giga mega pro players and that you have on another side average ones.. but then again i bet that not a lot of people managed to get this great result like i did :)...

No matter my rant I would not like to see WOWP in here but it seems that we are heading there...

[-GBF-]
Players
765 posts
3,380 battles
18 hours ago, Verdius said:

Lets be real: this is WoWs and if there is one thing in abundance here it is mouth breathing windowlickers.

There is going to be a skillgap, as otherwise you might as well have all CVs be bot controlled. (Also AFKers will probably perform worse than a CV that actually does stuff)

Also if they are going for this supposed style of gameplay where you directly control 1 squad current AA mechanics need a serious rework as well. Instant death/giant no-fly- zones of automatic RNG based AA checks are not going to work with this.

Ok true there is certainly no shortage of window lickers in wows.

But on the subject of this CV rework lets be honest here how much do we actually know? 

[GCMPL]
[GCMPL]
Players
111 posts
8,606 battles

I am afraid, that i will quit playing cv at all.

They say: It's too skill based....

What they make:

-Remove "Alt" on low tiers, weher you can easy practice it....

-Make Fighters game more complex with strife.... (I love it personally)

-Buff AA (Mino and now Worcester..)

I get it. It leads to imbalance on matches. When i get some noobs with 80k average dmg(below 1 K/M) vs my 150k it's not hard at all to rip that CV.

But to make it some crap Wing Commander style? What? Should i fly with my squad and maybe shoot torps by myself? I can go play then World of Warplanes or War thunder. There is one plane at once tho. 

CV Play is RTS. If u suck in RTS you will be bad pleyer here too.

Make better MM. Use our Stats on ships to find equal CVs... I enjoy those matches with player with compared stats.

All ships are skill based. Good player have good scores and W/R 60%. Those bad players hardly 50%. If u get DD that dies at the beginning. Enemy will get too advantage over your team.

WG make nowadays all as easy as possible.

-Line to show us where enemy targeted ship is heading...

-Now where is enemy targeted ship aiming( 7.7.....)...

Lets give us all AIMBOTS like in BETA. It's too skill dependent to aim by myself!

Just fix crap MM and make it stat based. Make teams(or just CVs) equal as possible and fixed! There won't be anymore that scenario: Pro CV Player vs Newbie...

Wait and what with AA? I will reskill all my AA boats. It won't be necessery now. one Squad?! Hah how many times i get CV match? Rarely. All good palyers that like some challenge won't play some eas CV mode

• Cool 1

[DUSD]
Players
2 posts
1,568 battles

Yeah well I just unlocked the Midway today and decided to spend some money on the game for the first time since I started playing this to get the camouflage. And guess what, 2 hours later I find out that they want to destroy the carriers. Great. Is there any way I could get a refund? I was actually planning on buying the camo for Hakuryu as well and also getting the premium CVs at some point but now it feels like I should rather quit playing this game entirely. I don't like playing the other ships. Why can I not keep playing CVs the way I like them?

Players
1,413 posts
8,238 battles
9 hours ago, Bainsmit_steel said:

There are some rumors that CV rework will appear at late September.

Those are bad news (wish it would be like in 2020 or so...) and no, I don't like changes. If something works then... no touchy!!

• Cool 1

[GCMPL]
[GCMPL]
Players
111 posts
8,606 battles

I know that CVs weren't so good as they are. But truly all ships were pretty bad.... only few shells from 100 hited target.... 

Only few Bombs scored hits. only few Air torpedos were activated and droped properly... Its not simulation. But cv had important role. They will [edited]it up. I will sell all my cvs propably...

Players
161 posts
9,012 battles

People don't wanna play CV cos theres too much AA.

People don't wanna play DD cos theres too much radar.

People don't wanna play CA cos there're too many Battleshipts.

I guess that explains the distribution of population in the game...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
764 posts
6,929 battles

I used to be a CV player, but since I don't play enough I am not good enough to play a high tier CV and the mid tier ones get screwed by mm, particularly regarding fighter control so I would like them to get this right but produce something reasonably fast so I can play CV's again.  I would be happy if they just removed strafes and were done with it (though Saipan would need work) at that but anything that makes CV's less skill dependent would be fantastic and something where US and IJN CV's are are broadly equal would be really nice

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,055 posts
17,241 battles
12 hours ago, Fubucky said:

People don't wanna play CV cos theres too much AA.

People don't wanna play DD cos theres too much radar.

People don't wanna play CA cos there're too many Battleshipts.

I guess that explains the distribution of population in the game...

And WG is doing everything to achieve World of Battlesheep.

• Cool 1

Players
764 posts
6,929 battles
15 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

that too.  they buffed AA patch after patch after patch and then made CV's ridiculously skill intensive.  this drove people away from CV's and then they solved all the "problems" caused by a lack of CV's by other means including radar instead of fixing CV's.  could they not have seen the drop off of CV players with each change in this area and simply rolled back the change?

• Cool 1

[GCMPL]
[GCMPL]
Players
111 posts
8,606 battles
20 hours ago, Aragathor said:

You are 100% right. There are tons of radars and BBs....

They made it world of BATLLESHIPS.

It is crazy to have 5-6 BBs in each team and one CA! For god sake. There wasn'T EVEN  such compositions of strike teams in real battles.

There were always tons of DD.... not bbS!

Players
1,413 posts
8,238 battles
25 minutes ago, Sanepidi said:

You are 100% right. There are tons of radars and BBs....

They made it world of BATLLESHIPS.

It is crazy to have 5-6 BBs in each team and one CA! For god sake. There wasn'T EVEN  such compositions of strike teams in real battles.

There were always tons of DD.... not bbS!

Honestly, I prefer having to deal with battleships and dds instead of cruisers. Those damned defensive aa consumables should be removed.

Players
119 posts
1,693 battles

Honestly I like CV because of the great Microing you can do.

That's what I like, i can outclass most of the people I've met ( which is basically not saying anything as there are only few good CV players out there as many have mentioned here ). That's my accomplishment. Making this class more accessible, aka dumbing down to a point to lower the skill-ceiling, is the wrong attempt. It would feel like an auto-aim when close to the head ( like 1 CM distant and it jumps onto the head ). It surely makes the FPS more accessible but also the ones who can aim quickly and precisely do not benefit from it, they are the losers. It feels like, I will exaggerate things for the sake of argument, as if they would come up with the idea "Yeah CL/CA are played too little, we are removing the Citadel on those ships but removed half of their turrets and nerfed their dmg". Cool now they are easier to drive but dumbed down to the point where it is getting ridiculous.

For me it would be better if they made the entry skill requirement lower but keep the current skillcap. Maybe better UI and easier to understand mechanics. Because if that goes, like manual strafing well how is a IJN CV ever to win against a US one. I can outperform him because I know how to strafe, how to lure and punish with my 2nd Fighter squad. If they remove those options, what's the point? Click on "engage" enemy and that's it? "Oh I won/lost. Cool/Sad" and that's not gameplay. Same goes for Strikecraft. I know how to cross-torp or lure enemy ships into performing a turn and then aborting/rearranging the angle. I am the one who understood the mechanics/mindgames and should be rewarded not punished by getting manual drops removed.

It feels a bit like a bit as if you would change from Widows Sniper Playstyle to (old) Symmetra, where the beam just latches on the closest enemy and sticks there as long as you are in range, in Overwatch. I mean yeah it is easier, but where is the fun of it? Sorry I do not see it. Also CV isn't rare because how it plays but also whom it has to face, which are as named here increasingly overpowered AA Defenses. At times matches can be generated where your best move as CV is to farm the enemy fighters and strike craft and once done do not attempt to deal any damage because the Enemy is full of anti-air geared CL/CA and BBs. So you cannot pick a weak-target because there is simply none.

The real issues are too much AA around, the extremely odd and major power-difference between IJN and US fighters. The large difference in Tiers, like fighters performing OK in T6 but against T7/8 they melt the moment they spot the enemy ship. Those are things that need to be tweaked not the CV gameplay itself but Wargaming will probably dumb down the gameplay so a lobotomized monkey can do it whilst keeping the AA on ridiculous levels ( and handing out AA Consumables like candy to every ship not fast enough to run away ), keeping the US/IJN difference for "Gameplay" reasons and other [edited] ( really one plane, following six planes with rear gunners will cause panic? Shall we see how likely the one fighter is a) to attack if he is smart b) survive the attack c) shoot just one plane down? I do not think so intercept plane from CA/CL/BB )

• Cool 1

[GCMPL]
[GCMPL]
Players
111 posts
8,606 battles

Those are things that need to be tweaked not the CV gameplay itself but Wargaming will probably dumb down the gameplay so a lobotomized monkey can do it whilst keeping the AA on ridiculous levels

That is what they are doing. They lower skillcap, but they make it so low. That there is no challenge.

New mini map indicators:

Tageted ship heading line, new: where is this ship aiming... What will come as next? I had to check it with a scope, look at the guns. Look at ship where is he heading. Maybe they should add speed indicator?

Making game alot easier is no fix to me. It's only making it skilless. If we get all those fancy tools. What should we call "Game Experience" from a skilled player? If they will be available as additional tools?

Some i can say where good:

-smoke timer

-smoke border

-all those areas to switch on minimap

But they shouldn't make it so easy as they plan too. Those small things, that you need to learn should give you advantage in battle. If you are playing any other game. You need to learn some things to be good at it. If you give all free for all. There is no depth in that game at all.

[BGNAV]
Players
200 posts
7,480 battles

To be frank, I don't play CVs. I don't like RTS games that much and CV gameplay really reminds me of those. This of course doesn't mean that I don't recognize the place of CVs in the game. 

Anyway - from my PoV, the way CVs are at the moment is really breaking the game for me. Even with the nerfs, CVs can alone decide the outcome of each battle. A good CV player would support their team and exterminate targets that break off the enemy team's formation to get flanking shots. A good CV player will utilize their fighters to protect valuable targets from their team (a DD in the cap point for example, NOT a retarded BB at the map border). A good CV player will move in order to stay in cover and ensure their planes will reach the enemy quickly (not being at the corner of the map). This so far describes almost all CVs I've seen in the enemy team. For example yesterday I had a CV in almost every game I played. There were only 2 good players in them and one got disconnected for most of the game due to power loss.

I do recognize that skilled CV commanders will be against the rework as it would allow potatoes to do better while not really helping the good players. However, I also think that in random games CVs can (and often do) break the game for one team or the other depending on the player's skill. One player among 12 should not have such impact.

I believe the game impact based on ship type is in the following order (for random games): CV >> DD >> CA/CL >> BB. BBs and CA/CLs are more team-dependent than DDs and CVs, which can solo-carry games more easily (not talking about the below-average players). 

Overall I am FOR a rework, but I also have some reservations when it comes to WG "balancing" stuff...

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this