Ferry_25

"Hard to starboard/ port"

6 comments in this topic

Question

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

I know I can't qualify as a newby anymore. But my question might affect newcomers as well. One thing I haven't figured out is the "hard to starboard/ port function. The only difference I noticed compared to double "D" "A" is using the hard function the ship automatically goes neutral when releasing it. My question: is there a difference? Does the ship turn some harder with the "hard" function? Or isn't there any difference other than the one mentioned?

5 answers to this question

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,135 posts
9,001 battles

Wait....what's a hard function?

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,707 battles

There is no difference in what your ship does. It's just more comfortable if you don't have to hold the key all the time for longer maneuvers.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

I prefer the A & D because I can just release them and stop the turning when it "feels" right. Q & E produce the same result without holding those buttons - but I always forget to stop the turn (as I have no button held) and end up seriously overturning or even doing a random unnecessary loop.

Players
2,192 posts
20,367 battles

They're not "hard" rudder functions, Q and E are just locking the rudder at half and full positions once it arrives there.

The rudder shifts at exactly the same speed as with A and D though. Thus, technically, Q and E are the only way to actually use the rudder in the way an actual ships's rudder is used, and steer a curve with a defined radius. Even though you only have two radii to choose from.