Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lord0

Edinburgh. Ranked. Couple of questions

19 comments in this topic

[ANV]
Players
549 posts
4,693 battles

Edinburgh. Ranked. Couple of questions:

1) Is Edinburgh viable for Ranked?

2) If yes, Smoke or Radar?

Thanks in advance.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,482 battles

1. If you know how to play British cruisers in general, yes. Last time Ranked was "pure" t8 I had friends that progressed up till R5, think I gave it a few tries too.

2. It is a matter of personal choice. Radar being more team oriented, smoke being more for yourself.  I guess if you want to keep star in the inevitable losses use smoke,  game is not rewarding enough xp for your radar's spots.

• Cool 2

[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,217 battles

I play her myself quite a bit and have had success in ranked up to 9 last season so I can't vouch for higher tiers but the thing with Edinburgh is its tempting to use that radar but to be honest you won't last long at the range it requires to use it and at that tier most things will send you back to port quicker than a blink of an eye and your no good to your team dead. she's just to squishy. Smoke will keep you alive.... The 10 km torps have desent speed and punch and her good rof (prefab ly with adrelanin rush) can kill most enemy DD's very effectively eliminating there cap caperbility. I use smoke scree expert on her as the extra radius it provides gives me the ability to dodge torps while staying unditected.  It's a must for all rnl cruisers Imo. 

• Cool 1

Players
4,443 posts
7,600 battles

To be honest, up to rank 10 pretty much anything should be viable if you know how to use it.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Alpha Tester
124 posts
8,299 battles

I mainly played DD until rank 10 so don't have any first hand experience on Edinburgh in ranked. However, I've encountered plenty of Edinburgh and some of them played pretty good. So I think it is likely to be a viable choice. And for radar vs smoke: radar seems to be a better choice in ranked as it really helps the team (and in the process, gets to be the top player in the team). But it's also a high-risk option since you can't easily rain shells from relative safety. On the other hand, smoke Edinburgh feels kind of meh. That's just my opinion from observing how other Edinburgh captains played.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,046 posts
10,743 battles

I used the Edinburgh with good success last season.
Granted I never play more than 10 battles and always stop at rank 15 for the decorative flag, but the heal combined with the superb concealment+smoke means that you can scout, torpedo and deal significant damage.

• Cool 3

[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,217 battles
35 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

I used the Edinburgh with good success last season.
Granted I never play more than 10 battles and always stop at rank 15 for the decorative flag, but the heal combined with the superb concealment+smoke means that you can scout, torpedo and deal significant damage.

This in a nut shell :cap_like:

[T_D_G]
Players
389 posts
9,357 battles

I got up to rank10 with Amagi and akizuki as most played ships, sum it some games with NC and Chappy.

What I can say for Minotaur in ranked is that is very very situational as its said above and really punishable (played some games with her and stopped). It works better in randoms for me than ranked.

I'd say that you should test both options (smoke and radar) and pick yourself. If you manage to play well, do decent damage, not dying at the first sight and helping your team for the wins, its your ship.

[BLITZ]
Players
325 posts
10,047 battles
2 hours ago, B010011A said:

What I can say for Minotaur in ranked is that is very very situational as its said above and really punishable (played some games with her and stopped). It works better in randoms for me than ranked.

I am at R14 and don't really enjoy ranked with T8 in general. I would love to try my Minotaur in a ranked setup because I am suprisingly successfull in randoms and I imagine radar to be even more valuable in ranked. But I have still some games left until R10 and not sure if it is worth it or not.

Did you play radar or smoke Mino?

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
48 minutes ago, Desteban said:

I am at R14 and don't really enjoy ranked with T8 in general. I would love to try my Minotaur in a ranked setup because I am suprisingly successfull in randoms and I imagine radar to be even more valuable in ranked. But I have still some games left until R10 and not sure if it is worth it or not.

There's a Monty in pretty much every game, so Mino lives tend to be very very short. Imho you have to be really good with it to pull that off, and even then you won't succeed a large portion of the time.

Radar = wrecks any DDs you find. At the same time - get caught out and you can just bend over and kiss your a** goodbye. Also HIV has high enough caliber guns to make Minos angling irrelevant

Smoke = a bit safer so you can play more offensive (instead of always hiding behind some island), but keep in mind that as you climb up people generally will get better at shooting ships in smoke. I can't even count the times I've already been reported by angry Minos who I deleted in their smokescreens despite them moving :Smile_teethhappy:

[BLITZ]
Players
325 posts
10,047 battles
26 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

There's a Monty in pretty much every game, so Mino lives tend to be very very short. Imho you have to be really good with it to pull that off, and even then you won't succeed a large portion of the time.

Radar = wrecks any DDs you find. At the same time - get caught out and you can just bend over and kiss your a** goodbye. Also HIV has high enough caliber guns to make Minos angling irrelevant

Smoke = a bit safer so you can play more offensive (instead of always hiding behind some island), but keep in mind that as you climb up people generally will get better at shooting ships in smoke. I can't even count the times I've already been reported by angry Minos who I deleted in their smokescreens despite them moving :Smile_teethhappy:

I am not really afraid of BBs, infact I think Mino survives quite alot longer than people give her credit for. I totally get citadeled but not like devestating strike often. If you go broadside you get punished, if not you usually live to tell the tale and can heal half your hp back.

Smoke is nowadays a very weak tool anyway, radar on the other hand is ridiculous on the Mino.

Made only the first game with smoke and the 30+ or something games I have now with radar. 

HIV seems like disease to me though. I Tried to citadel that thing at 3 km and instead coulnd't even go beyond 10k dmg in 4 salvos.

This seems to be the only cruiser Mino is very weak against.

Anyway if T10 plays somewhat like T8 I think there is lots of fun to be had with Mino. But more or less I am just curious and it seems like an afwul

lot of work to get in there just to see if its fun or not.

Players
3,277 posts
19,066 battles
12 hours ago, B010011A said:

I got up to rank10 with Amagi and akizuki as most played ships, sum it some games with NC and Chappy.

I'd say that you should test both options (smoke and radar) and pick yourself. If you manage to play well, do decent damage, not dying at the first sight and helping your team for the wins, its your ship.

very punishable indeed. in ranked each time i met a mino in enemy team, i devastated it or almost devastated it. imo RN CAs are the last choice for ranked.

• Cool 2

[T_D_G]
Players
389 posts
9,357 battles
13 ore fa, Desteban ha scritto:

Smoke mino, i was never good with radar mino but i didnt have wise decision making and got punished. I think that i made it work in 2 games. If you play it well, can win games.

In between the meta of T8 and T10 is a huge gap, so you dont expect to do it well the first battles. I dont know how is rank10 now but you'll have to play more steadily and keep calm. Its quite a lot of strategy involved and the DDs spotting for you to be able to punish enemy team mistakes.

10 ore fa, Desteban ha scritto:

I am not really afraid of BBs, infact I think Mino survives quite alot longer than people give her credit for. I totally get citadeled but not like devestating strike often. If you go broadside you get punished, if not you usually live to tell the tale and can heal half your hp back.

Smoke is nowadays a very weak tool anyway, radar on the other hand is ridiculous on the Mino.

Made only the first game with smoke and the 30+ or something games I have now with radar. 

HIV seems like disease to me though. I Tried to citadel that thing at 3 km and instead coulnd't even go beyond 10k dmg in 4 salvos.

Anyway if T10 plays somewhat like T8 I think there is lots of fun to be had with Mino. But more or less I am just curious and it seems like an afwul

lot of work to get in there just to see if its fun or not.

Trust me thar at top ranks people know how to aim and even if you're running away in your mino and happens to be focus fired, you'll get deleted in minutes xd, not to say that when you're radared in your own smoke or happen to shoot from a "apparently good position" and a Yamato shoots back at you while staying there stopped, you ded ma friend :D (it happened to me).

I love mino but its too situational.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,729 posts
10,190 battles
14 hours ago, Capra76 said:

To be honest, up to rank 10 pretty much anything should be viable if you know how to use it.

this!!!

I've reached to rank 10 with hipper...

edin should do better :)

Players
2,773 posts
17,292 battles

Radar campers usually have the best win rates (Camp behind island + press radar button, BBs are usually good enough to wipe out anything that's spotted)

Mino is hilarious when there's no counter radar, you don't even need islands to perma spot DDs without getting spotted back.

(WG really need to figure out spotting consumables, they're terribly implemented)

9 hours ago, Desteban said:

RN CLs can't citadel ships with recessed citadels due to the 0.005s fuse (HIV and Hindy)

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Players
325 posts
10,047 battles
1 hour ago, creamgravy said:

RN CLs can't citadel ships with recessed citadels due to the 0.005s fuse (HIV and Hindy)

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks will keep that in mind!

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, creamgravy said:

RN CLs can't citadel ships with recessed citadels due to the 0.005s fuse

I'm pretty sure that fuse there is 0.0165s not 0.005s :Smile_teethhappy: Half of a normal fuse time, not 1/6th or something like that

Players
2,773 posts
17,292 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I'm pretty sure that fuse there is 0.0165s not 0.005s :Smile_teethhappy: Half of a normal fuse time, not 1/6th or something like that

It's 0.005 (tier 1-5 = 0.004) They almost explode on contact, basically balanced as HE with high pen but no fire %.

127mm = 0.03

152mm = 0.025 (US tier 6+ 152mm = 0.01)

203mm+ = 0.033 (RN BB 0.015)

Sign in to follow this