Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HMS_M1ssour1

change server

13 comments in this topic

[JOK3R]
Players
536 posts
8,416 battles

question :

is it possible to move an account from one server to another server? ex from RU to Eu....ty cheers

Players
579 posts
5,038 battles

never heared that this is possible.

But if it is: US plz! 

The promised land of potatoe CVs, no def AA and no AA speccs :Smile_izmena:

• Funny 3

Beta Tester
2,792 posts
7,088 battles
28 minutes ago, HMS_M1ssour1 said:

question :

is it possible to move an account from one server to another server? ex from RU to Eu....ty cheers

That is not posible, least not now, for every server you start at you have to start from scratch :Smile_Default:

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

I think I did read somewhere, sometime it is possible to move an account for once in case of migration. But please don't quote me on that because I'm not sure.

For me it's never been really clear why there must be 4 different servers in the first place. Lag issues perhaps? When I watch to streamers they never seem to have (much) connection issues, playing on NA or RU...

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,580 posts
12,557 battles
41 minutes ago, HMS_M1ssour1 said:

question :

Write to support. This is not generally common practice to migrate accounts from server o server but I read they make an exception and move the account.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,657 posts
11,764 battles
17 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I think I did read somewhere, sometime it is possible to move an account for once in case of migration. But please don't quote me on that because I'm not sure.

For me it's never been really clear why there must be 4 different servers in the first place. Lag issues perhaps? When I watch to streamers they never seem to have (much) connection issues, playing on NA or RU...

Four big-ish reasons come to mind:

1. The latency reason. This is mostly inherited from WoT, really, however. In WoT a bit of extra latency makes a big difference. WoWs is generally slower - split seconds rarely make a difference. DDs are vulnerable in some situations and CVs might struggle (but they struggle more with general clunkiness of their UI) but, generally speaking, decent cross-continental latency lets you still play on even footing with others.

2. The business reason. Now it's more unified but we still see many things specifically aimed at certain regions. If you make everything world-unified, you give up the possibility of conducting business in region-specific manner.

3. The language reason. There is a big player population from Russia and  - people who don't know English and don't intend to use it.

4. The timezone reason. So that updates don't roll out during peak hours and stuff.

• Cool 1

Players
1,418 posts
10,953 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

Four big-ish reasons come to mind:

1. The latency reason. This is mostly inherited from WoT, really, however. In WoT a bit of extra latency makes a big difference. WoWs is generally slower - split seconds rarely make a difference. DDs are vulnerable in some situations and CVs might struggle (but they struggle more with general clunkiness of their UI) but, generally speaking, decent cross-continental latency lets you still play on even footing with others.

Game client can measure latency and connect only if it is below predefined value (adjustable by player). Some people live closer to "the backbone" net and have reasonable ping even to Australia (can be like 250-300ms, for BB enough ;) ), others will have big latency even inside their country. No reason to separate server populations. 

2. The business reason. Now it's more unified but we still see many things specifically aimed at certain regions. If you make everything world-unified, you give up the possibility of conducting business in region-specific manner.

Yes, different buying power, different interests, so different prices. But still, for business reasons, having single larger player base is much bigger advantage than puny greedy regional promo gains. 

3. The language reason. There is a big player population from Russia and  - people who don't know English and don't intend to use it.

Most of random Steves are English-illiterate on EU server as well. And quite a lot of people from Europe speak, or at least understand, Russian. Big part of players is not using chat at all. Not a valid reason .

4. The timezone reason. So that updates don't roll out during peak hours and stuff.

Timezone reason is actually the main pro- reason, so you eliminate dead-hours and have playable game around the clock. Updates take max ~1 hour or so, and probably can take shorter - and the cycle is now 4 weeks if I recall. Not a big issue.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,657 posts
11,764 battles
3 hours ago, EdiJo said:

Game client can measure latency and connect only if it is below predefined value (adjustable by player). Some people live closer to "the backbone" net and have reasonable ping even to Australia (can be like 250-300ms, for BB enough ;) ), others will have big latency even inside their country. No reason to separate server populations. 

Still, generally speaking the latency is MUCH worse cross-continent and - remember - this is something inherited from WoT where this is a much more crucial problem. Since accounts are supposed to be connected (and in the planning phase this actually expanded much further than any current plans of future unification) it stands to reason to have the same regions (not to mention that regional management is already set-up) as WoT. In fact, it would get pretty problematic to have different regions - if someone has "cloned" accounts on various WoT servers, which account should be linked to "single-region" WoWs? What if completely different players have same-named accounts on NA and EU WoT? These are problems that would need to be addressed.

3 hours ago, EdiJo said:

Yes, different buying power, different interests, so different prices. But still, for business reasons, having single larger player base is much bigger advantage than puny greedy regional promo gains. 

And why are you so sure of that? It's your own business assessment. They seem to have a different opinion.

3 hours ago, EdiJo said:

Most of random Steves are English-illiterate on EU server as well. And quite a lot of people from Europe speak, or at least understand, Russian. Big part of players is not using chat at all. Not a valid reason .

The dreaded stories of the virtual plague of Russian players speaking Russian (and speaking a lot) while refusing to (or being completely unable to) use English circulate in other games. This is a serious problem for many multiplayer games. WoWs, by comparison, is in great shape. Sure, there are exceptions, but most people (on EU) understand English AND accept it as the "official language" to be used for communication in-game. Comparing the experience with games that have different (or none) regional divisions, this is clearly a big plus for the division.

3 hours ago, EdiJo said:

Timezone reason is actually the main pro- reason, so you eliminate dead-hours and have playable game around the clock. Updates take max ~1 hour or so, and probably can take shorter - and the cycle is now 4 weeks if I recall. Not a big issue.

It's not just updates (though they're a big part of that). It's also the cut-off of missions and events, the re-set time of 1st victory bonuses and container cycles etc. Basically everything that's in some way tied to the real-world time.

Anyway. I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue with me here. Ferry_25 asked why WoWs has the region division - so I explained a couple easily identifiable reasons. You can find them insufficient, look for counter-arguments or whatever, but what's the point of that, really? I never even took position on the issue of whether the regions should be separated - I was simply outlining the more transparent reasons for why it is the way it is. Frankly, I don't care much for this issue at all. Although I'm a bit curious how they're going to handle the announced semi-merger for the purpose of Clan Battles. Who knows, that works well, maybe one day we'll see some experiments with combined queues for Randoms too.

...I wonder if - in case that happens - you'll remain so convinced that Russians not speaking English are not a valid argument for separation :Smile_hiding:

Players
1,418 posts
10,953 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

Still, generally speaking the latency is MUCH worse cross-continent

Generally, yes - distance means time, and 2/3 speed of light for fiber cables means +10ms "ping-pong" time for each 1000km, so for 15000km you get those 150ms minimum theoretical inter-continental values. But another part is the processing time depending on number of "hops", and you can get easily >150ms pings inside your country as well...

and - remember - this is something inherited from WoT where this is a much more crucial problem.

Exactly. Many youtubers play WoWS on different servers without much problems.

Since accounts are supposed to be connected (and in the planning phase this actually expanded much further than any current plans of future unification) it stands to reason to have the same regions (not to mention that regional management is already set-up) as WoT.

I would think of having an option for selecting possible regions to which I would like to connect when pressing "Battle" button. And another option which would limit maximum latency acceptable to me - it could be even set automatically depending on ship class, and/or I could modify those threshold in the game settings. 

In fact, it would get pretty problematic to have different regions - if someone has "cloned" accounts on various WoT servers, which account should be linked to "single-region" WoWs? What if completely different players have same-named accounts on NA and EU WoT? These are problems that would need to be addressed.

Many games solved this in the past, the first example coming to mind is merging Universa in Ogame. Anyway it would be one-time issue.

And why are you so sure of that? It's your own business assessment. They seem to have a different opinion.

Any corpo is very conservative, and judging by introducing changes in the game Wargaming WoWS division is not the most jumpy one...

What this game obviously desperately needs is having player base unified: spread more evenly in time zones and c.a. 3x larger than any single server now. Many serious problems and flaws connected to matchmaking and ship balancing are caused by player numbers falling down below critical levels at some hours. Also, much of bad PR is generated when some server is treated differently than others. 

I don't believe it is balanced, even in short term, by income from forcing people to have multiple separate accounts and by profits from different pricing. In the long term dividing player base is for sure bad for the game.

BTW, unifying regional servers also opens new marketing possibilities, like exploiting national competitiveness using rankings which would be finally possible thanks to comparable data ;)

The dreaded stories of the virtual plague of Russian players speaking Russian (and speaking a lot) while refusing to (or being completely unable to) use English circulate in other games. This is a serious problem for many multiplayer games. WoWs, by comparison, is in great shape. Sure, there are exceptions, but most people (on EU) understand English AND accept it as the "official language" to be used for communication in-game. Comparing the experience with games that have different (or none) regional divisions, this is clearly a big plus for the division.

Come on, I watch YT vids and I am hardly able to tell on which server they are played. Yes, there is a language barrier, but also most of teenagers on EU server can't communicate in English, Germans love to chat in their own sprache, Poles, Turks and French do it frequently too. One can try to introduce "translator modes" but in fact the chat is not crucial for random games, especially if finally we will get the promised extended in-game commands system.

It's not just updates (though they're a big part of that). It's also the cut-off of missions and events, the re-set time of 1st victory bonuses and container cycles etc. Basically everything that's in some way tied to the real-world time.

Many games tie this to some fixed time zone - doesn't matter whether it is Denver Time, Greenwich or Beijing. 

Anyway. I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue with me here.

Because you seem to justify what I think is wrong for the game and for players - and what should be changed...

Ferry_25 asked why WoWs has the region division - so I explained a couple easily identifiable reasons. You can find them insufficient, look for counter-arguments or whatever, but what's the point of that, really? I never even took position on the issue of whether the regions should be separated - I was simply outlining the more transparent reasons for why it is the way it is.

Not exactly - you are "outlining reasons" and what I'm doing is showing that they are (much) less relevant than having the player base unified.

Frankly, I don't care much for this issue at all. Although I'm a bit curious how they're going to handle the announced semi-merger for the purpose of Clan Battles. Who knows, that works well, maybe one day we'll see some experiments with combined queues for Randoms too.

I didn't even know they are already planning to do that. Good sign.

...I wonder if - in case that happens - you'll remain so convinced that Russians not speaking English are not a valid argument for separation :Smile_hiding:

I am from that Eastern Europe generation which had obligatory Russian, starting from elementary school - and I like the language :cap_popcorn:

It was a little rusty when I was in St. Petersburg last year, but practice makes perfect! :]

[TOXIC]
Players
4,657 posts
11,764 battles
23 hours ago, EdiJo said:

Generally, yes - distance means time, and 2/3 speed of light for fiber cables means +10ms "ping-pong" time for each 1000km, so for 15000km you get those 150ms minimum theoretical inter-continental values. But another part is the processing time depending on number of "hops", and you can get easily >150ms pings inside your country as well...

Still, there are usually also more hops over greater distances, so...

I mean, sure, the "Internet distance" map is much different to geographical map, but there's a significant correlation nonetheless. Most people in EU have significantly worse ping when playing on NA and even worse on Asian server.

Anyway, I really see no point in this offtop discussion. You have your strong opinion while I'm just all like *shrug*. I took the time to explain things to a person that kinda asked for this explanation. Whether you believe that the reasons for current state of affairs justify it enough or not, whether you believe this arrangement to be viable or not, it really isn't something I care for or wish to dispute at length. WG does things their own way - and I don't care for details all that much. If you think they're wrong, go preach to them, not to me :Smile-_tongue:

Beta Tester
358 posts
16,867 battles

Don't worry about it.  Just wait.  By this time next year they'll have so few players that they'll have to consolidate all the servers into one cluster. 

Az

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,747 posts
10,197 battles

I know it is Impossible in WOT,

They don't do that, even for migration.

A guy moved from US to Germany permanently, they didn't move his accout and said sorry.

If they have the same rules, It would not be allowed here too..

But nothing to lose for asking to support.

Players
1,418 posts
10,953 battles
18 hours ago, eliastion said:

Still, there are usually also more hops over greater distances, so...

I mean, sure, the "Internet distance" map is much different to geographical map, but there's a significant correlation nonetheless.

After you get out from your "local neighborhood" hops become much longer in terms of physical distance... 

Most people in EU have significantly worse ping when playing on NA and even worse on Asian server.

If you are lucky to have "short and wide" connection to the backbone net, you can have better ping to the other continent than many people from your country have inside the country.

It just should be an individual thing to decide for the player (helped by the game client which can give hints based on its own latency measurement)

Anyway, I really see no point in this offtop discussion.

It is not offtop - the thread is about "moving accounts" which is directly related to the fact that separate accounts in WoWS are anachronic residue from WoT mechanisms. 

You have your strong opinion while I'm just all like *shrug*.

Heh, why shrugging? I think it is in our common interest (WG's too) to have a better game.

I took the time to explain things to a person that kinda asked for this explanation. Whether you believe that the reasons for current state of affairs justify it enough or not, whether you believe this arrangement to be viable or not, it really isn't something I care for or wish to dispute at length.

If I did not convince you, why don't you give arguments? 

Sorry, I am one of those guys:

duty_calls.png

https://xkcd.com/386/

;)

WG does things their own way - and I don't care for details all that much. If you think they're wrong, go preach to them, not to me :Smile-_tongue:

But I am now! We are not doing a private chat, are we? 

Anyway, I just noticed that WG even for WoT (where latency is much more important) hosts 2 of 7 their Russian servers in ... Western Europe.

wot-ru-servers.thumb.png.3b14c44c7994c5483b77a282a6842610.png

So taking latency out of the list, the only remaining "reasons" are greed for immediate short-term profits and corpo inertia...

I noticed some threads about merging WoT servers, but I am not a tank guy, so I don't know at what point they were making such decisions. For sure it is needed for WoWS. 

• Boring 1

Sign in to follow this