Flavio1997

Should i buy the friederich de grosse? ( tier 9 german bb?)

20 comments in this topic

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,810 battles

The question is quite self explanatory, should i buy it?

you should also consider that on the Bismark i have the  special camo of 1 year ago.

I'm asking that question because stats wise is considered the worst tier 9 bb of the game.

I had a lot of fun with the bismark...what should i do?

[CATS]
Players
26,233 posts
14,139 battles

Other say it is Izumo, other say Iowa got "nerved" into the ground...

I wish Forumites would make up their mind.

Unless you plan to Free XP a whole ship, I would buy it (and will with the 15% discount in two weeks).

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,483 posts
19,740 battles
1 hour ago, Flavio1997 said:

The question is quite self explanatory, should i buy it?

you should also consider that on the Bismark i have the  special camo of 1 year ago.

I'm asking that question because stats wise is considered the worst tier 9 bb of the game.

I had a lot of fun with the bismark...what should i do?

I have the Tirpitz, the Bismarck, and the Frederic the Great. I have dedicated captains for Tirpitz/Bismarck and for the FdG.

You should consider buying the FdG if you want to progress to the Big Sausage aka Grosser Kurfurst. Otherwise don't bother.

I'm basing this on my own struggle to find a way to make the FdG work, as the secondary build that works for Bismarck/Tirpitz fails for the T9/10 BBs. I've found that the tanky playstyle and build on the FdG I'm using, is different from the close quarters style of the previous ships. So if you aren't willing to consider a respec of the captain you might be better served not buying the ship.

I think the bad rating of the ship comes from all the players who think the FdG can like the Bismarck just yolo into close engagements and win. Which isn't the case as the ship is too unwieldy to do that.

• Cool 2

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles
20 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

I have the Tirpitz, the Bismarck, and the Frederic the Great. I have dedicated captains for Tirpitz/Bismarck and for the FdG.

You should consider buying the FdG if you want to progress to the Big Sausage aka Grosser Kurfurst. Otherwise don't bother.

I'm basing this on my own struggle to find a way to make the FdG work, as the secondary build that works for Bismarck/Tirpitz fails for the T9/10 BBs. I've found that the tanky playstyle and build on the FdG I'm using, is different from the close quarters style of the previous ships. So if you aren't willing to consider a respec of the captain you might be better served not buying the ship.

I think the bad rating of the ship comes from all the players who think the FdG can like the Bismarck just yolo into close engagements and win. Which isn't the case as the ship is too unwieldy to do that.

This^^ :cap_tea:

I would mate because i know what the Kurfurst is like and enjoy the ship.  So i would say its a means to an end (like the Izumo).  If the Kurfurst wasn't as good as it is or if a crap tier 10 BB was there instead, then I wouldn't grind any further and stick with the Bis/Tirps.

I found the Ship all right and left it with a 60% winrate.  But it's not a keeper IMHO.

• Cool 1

Players
123 posts
3,950 battles

Bismarck with punchy 406mm guns and T9 MM. Yolo-ing doesn't always end well because it is bigger and less maneuverable than Bismarck.

[ARYA]
Players
596 posts
15,400 battles

Does the famous KM BB dispersion apply to TIX and TX too ?

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,483 posts
19,740 battles
3 hours ago, Atorpad said:

Does the famous KM BB dispersion apply to TIX and TX too ?

Of course. You wouldn't think WG would give a German BB good dispersion, now would you?

• Cool 1

[ARYA]
Players
596 posts
15,400 battles
4 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Of course. You wouldn't think WG would give a German BB good dispersion, now would you?

No i wont . but i see people get nice results with GK !! 

played Bayern i just didnt even bother to upgrade the hull . i will never grind the line ...

Players
8,116 posts
8,931 battles
3 hours ago, Atorpad said:

No i wont . but i see people get nice results with GK !! 

played Bayern i just didnt even bother to upgrade the hull . i will never grind the line ...

GK has 12 guns. Volume tends to compensate for accuracy.

• Cool 1

Players
1,678 posts
13,635 battles

Freddy is a feckin sniper rifle compared to her French peer. Sure, her accuracy is not Montana-level but it certainly isn't bad either.

I absolutely enjoy Freddy, even more than Bismarck and GK. Freddy is somewhere between those two - very tanky with big guns and good reload on the 406mm and definitely more maneuverable than GK which is more island than ship. And thanks to that maneuverability she is the last ship of the line that goes well with a full secondary build.

Since she will be discounted soon, I highly recommend you give her a try.

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
203 posts
8,618 battles
6 hours ago, deadly_if_swallowed said:

Freddy is a feckin sniper rifle compared to her French peer. Sure, her accuracy is not Montana-level but it certainly isn't bad either.

I absolutely enjoy Freddy, even more than Bismarck and GK. Freddy is somewhere between those two - very tanky with big guns and good reload on the 406mm and definitely more maneuverable than GK which is more island than ship. And thanks to that maneuverability she is the last ship of the line that goes well with a full secondary build.

Since she will be discounted soon, I highly recommend you give her a try.

I agree with you completely, except for the secondary build - on tiers 7-10 it works quite well. With FdG and GK it is harder to utilize as they tend to play on larger maps with less cover, but with some getting used to this can be worked around. Most people view the KM BBs as large punching bags (which they are), however those "bags" can punch back really hard in the case of FdG and GK. Yes, dispersion on German battleships is very trollish, but up close they tend to work well. Typically FdG or GK can offer loads of firepower and tanking potential - when combined with a DD or radar CA pushing capture points becomes really easy. The only thing to always keep in mind is to have cover nearby, so that you could hide to heal and/or ensure you are not taking hits from multiple directions.

About the secondary spec - you can use AFT and manual secondaries. IFHE does not work well on FdG and on GK you may find it more useful to go with CE or FP. I use IFHE but I've played with all three and survivability really suffers when you go with IFHE. 

To answer OPs question - yes, get the FdG. Some people find it very easy to play (myself included) while others struggle with it - in any case GK is worth the grind. One useful tip regarding FdG - get the hull upgraded as soon as you can. It will improve rudder shift time a lot. Also fill in all the upgrade slots and use premium consumables (no brainer).

Players
242 posts
11,752 battles

FdG's main battery performed incredibly bad when I was grinding her. That made the ship not fun to play (except the rare brawling situations) :cap_wander_2:

On the bright side you can farm those dreadnought and fireproof achievements with ease :etc_hide_turtle:

[ARYA]
Players
596 posts
15,400 battles
14 hours ago, almitov said:

I agree with you completely, except for the secondary build - on tiers 7-10 it works quite well. With FdG and GK it is harder to utilize as they tend to play on larger maps with less cover, but with some getting used to this can be worked around. Most people view the KM BBs as large punching bags (which they are), however those "bags" can punch back really hard in the case of FdG and GK. Yes, dispersion on German battleships is very trollish, but up close they tend to work well. Typically FdG or GK can offer loads of firepower and tanking potential - when combined with a DD or radar CA pushing capture points becomes really easy. The only thing to always keep in mind is to have cover nearby, so that you could hide to heal and/or ensure you are not taking hits from multiple directions.

About the secondary spec - you can use AFT and manual secondaries. IFHE does not work well on FdG and on GK you may find it more useful to go with CE or FP. I use IFHE but I've played with all three and survivability really suffers when you go with IFHE. 

To answer OPs question - yes, get the FdG. Some people find it very easy to play (myself included) while others struggle with it - in any case GK is worth the grind. One useful tip regarding FdG - get the hull upgraded as soon as you can. It will improve rudder shift time a lot. Also fill in all the upgrade slots and use premium consumables (no brainer).

Getting close you will eat tons of HE dmg !!!!

Today i was watching my team mate GK firing at 5km target  dispersion was awful...

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,483 posts
19,740 battles
14 hours ago, Rick_Hunter said:

FdG's main battery performed incredibly bad when I was grinding her. That made the ship not fun to play

This ship isn't fun to play, it's a price you have to pay to reach T10. Thanks to power creep and meta changes you have nothing against HE spam, IJN CVs, you can't deal consistent damage with your 8 inaccurate guns, and even your hydro is a cover for the fact that you are so lumbering, that a skilled DD player will eat you alive.

That's why the ship should only be played by people wanting to get the Great Elector.

• Cool 1

[ARYA]
Players
596 posts
15,400 battles
18 hours ago, Aragathor said:

This ship isn't fun to play, it's a price you have to pay to reach T10. Thanks to power creep and meta changes you have nothing against HE spam, IJN CVs, you can't deal consistent damage with your 8 inaccurate guns, and even your hydro is a cover for the fact that you are so lumbering, that a skilled DD player will eat you alive.

That's why the ship should only be played by people wanting to get the Great Elector.

Is it worthy? i mean dispersion still remains !

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,483 posts
19,740 battles
46 minutes ago, Atorpad said:

Is it worthy? i mean dispersion still remains !

I played the Big Sausage as part of the Space Battles, so my experience is very limited. But yes, it is a better ship. The immediate increase of four more guns makes the inaccuracy less of a problem. But the devil is in the details as the GC has 20k more HP, better AA, a better secondary battery (no 105mm guns), and better armor.

Even on paper the GC offers more than the FdG.

• Cool 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
934 posts

If u want the Kurry, it's a yes.

If u don't want the Kurry, then no.

Regarding the accuracy on Der Grosse, I went accuracy over secondaries on her.

Went back to secondaries on the Kurry.....she has more guns. Simples.

Armor on the Kurry is better than Der Grosse too. But they all like to burn though.

Der Grosse was a quick and easy grind really. Quite fun actually. But my end goal was always the Kurry.

[GURKA]
Players
5,206 posts
10,430 battles

I would say T9 is in general not a good Tier ^^'

You pay a lot for maintenance (costs, if you don't achieve a high score) and for me, it feels like, that the gap between T9 and T10 is more like T9 vs T11. At least for some ships like Izumo or Ibuki :cap_wander:

• Cool 2

[ARYA]
Players
596 posts
15,400 battles
16 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

You pay a lot for maintenance (costs, if you don't achieve a high score) and for me, it feels like, that the gap between T9 and T10 is more like T9 vs T11. At least for some ships like Izumo or Ibuki :cap_wander:

I have the same feeling !!!

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,483 posts
19,740 battles
4 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Stock Ibuki is worse than the upgraded Mogami. Even when fully upgraded Ibuki has less HP than Mogami. The only thing really better is the AA. Which shows how much of an upgrade the Ibuki is.

Another example, the FdG has less range than the Bismarck. With better guns.

Most T9 ships are crap. You need to suffer through them to reach T11.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1