Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LOZFFVII

Wild USS Monaghan Spotted!

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
2,100 posts
4,794 battles

In a random battle just a moment ago I spotted a super test Monaghan.

20180505_011659_PGSD105-T-22_46_Estuary.wowsreplay

 

shot-18_05_05_01_32.36-0170.thumb.jpg.43cab68d0a4d2d7e927f5ba96e027e5d.jpg

 

I was surprised as I wasn't aware we were even getting a USN T6 premium!

I was also hoping (because my knowledge of ships is fairly limited) that this would turn out to be a RN DD, but oh well.

 

According to the wiki, it looks like WG are testing out giving her the 9.2km fishies of her higher-tier cousins, and judging by what I saw in the battle, those were the ones Mr Supertester was using.

*EDIT* Actually, thinking about it again, I'm not so certain those were the 9.2km fishies. He was always a little bit closer to the targets than I thought at first...

 

Peoples thoughts?

 

And feel free to laugh at my gameplay and my lucky dev strike on the enemy podvoisky at the start.

Edited by Captain_LOZFFVII
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,119 posts
8,931 battles

 

 

Already in developement for some time, it seems to be some USN Fubuki. It has about as much gun power on paper, with two guns that fire faster than the IJN guns. Obviously, Monaghan has better turret traverse, Fubuki better ballistics. This ship gets 9.2 km Benson torpedoes, which aren't too amazing at T8, but pretty ok at T6 (Fubuki torps are marginally better), however Fubuki has a way better reload time and with 9 torpedoes vs 10, with a more flexible setup, Fubuki will throw out way more fish more effectively than Monaghan. Now, Monaghan gets tested with a TRB in the defAA slot, so you can have US smokes and the TRB, which is quite powerful, especially at T6 and imo, it basically starts to remind one of a T6 pre-nerf Shiratsuyu. Shiratsuyu also launches fewer torpedoes than akatsuki, but makes up by being able to use TRB for a 16 torpedo wall. Monaghan can launch 10, TRB consumable allows reducing the staggering 2 minute cooldown to 30 seconds. So, with some skill (or lack of enemy skill), you can try stack floodings. It cannot create 20 torpedo walls of skill though.

 

Overall, it is to be seen where it goes, could be they reduce TRB to make it a 5 sec reload, at which point it becomes kind of borderline OP (20 goddamn torps!) or if they find some other solution. As is, a lackluster ship, as far as I see it. Would just play Fubuki for free. Or Shinonome.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,100 posts
4,794 battles

I wish there was an option to post a response to this but without it being bumped to the top of the thread listing...

 

@Riselotte

Wow, I don't know how I feel about a US DD getting TRB, but in particular I can't imagine a T6 ship getting TRB and smoke in separate slots being a good idea, even if she gets a nerfed reload timer on it. At least Hatsuharu had to choose between smoke and TRB.:cap_hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,119 posts
8,931 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

I wish there was an option to post a response to this but without it being bumped to the top of the thread listing...

 

@Riselotte

Wow, I don't know how I feel about a US DD getting TRB, but in particular I can't imagine a T6 ship getting TRB and smoke in separate slots being a good idea, even if she gets a nerfed reload timer on it. At least Hatsuharu had to choose between smoke and TRB.:cap_hmm:

Hatsuharu has no option for TRB. It only becomes available at Shiratsuyu at T7 for the IJN alt line and Kagero at T8 for IJN main line. That said, the ship is decidedly lackluster with 30 seconds TRB, because it prevents the (OP) 20 torpedo wall, and base reload is pretty terrible. Fubuki likely would do a better job. 30 seconds also is not enough to get a quick salvo in case you spot an opportune moment, unless it persists this long.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,100 posts
4,794 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

Hatsuharu has no option for TRB. It only becomes available at Shiratsuyu at T7 for the IJN alt line and Kagero at T8 for IJN main line.

Having a look at the Wiki page for Hatsuharu...I could've sworn she had access to it before. But then that was before the Shiratsuyu nerf that had her forced to choose between smoke and TRB.

Don't tell me WG had the genius idea of nerfing an already weak ship?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,119 posts
8,931 battles
Just now, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

Having a look at the Wiki page for Hatsuharu...I could've sworn she had access to it before. But then that was before the Shiratsuyu nerf that had her forced to choose between smoke and TRB.

Don't tell me WG had the genius idea of nerfing an already weak ship?

 

Hatsuharu basically is a Fubuki that traded in some hp and the third torpedo launcher to have the guns fire slightly faster. Guess how enjoyable that ship is to play when you know what the Fubuki can do.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,100 posts
4,794 battles
2 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Hatsuharu basically is a Fubuki that traded in some hp and the third torpedo launcher to have the guns fire slightly faster. Guess how enjoyable that ship is to play when you know what the Fubuki can do.

I don't remember much, it was over a year ago when I played her.

I remember free XP-ing most of my way to Shiratsuyu.

I also remember free XPing past the stock hull and torpedoes on Fubuki, so I don't think she's in a terribly different situation, tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,119 posts
8,931 battles

Of the IJN alt-line, Minekaze felt pretty decent, having 4 accurate guns and 3x2 torpedoes. Works quite well, felt much better than Mutsuki. Hatsuharu felt like a bad Fubuki, missing that third launcher. Shiratsuyu feels situational with TRB and unexciting with smoke, Akizuki is pretty much the final reward, in my opinion. Not so final when the T9 and T10 come out, but for now.

 

As to Monaghan, the ship compares not too favourably to a Fubuki, because while it has similar dpm, the IJN guns are straight up superior when you get them on target. The TRB feels like it is designed to patch up the poor reload, and Benson torps are not bad, but not notably better than the Fubuki torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,774 posts
17,292 battles

^ Hope so. I just want the stock A-hull (finally a normal US DD that doesn't have nered HP/concealment for gimmick smoke/dakka)

The fantasy 2x5 launchers + AA is crazy and pointless, there's plenty of real WW2 refits they could use.

 

1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

Hatsuharu basically is a Fubuki that traded in some hp and the third torpedo launcher to have the guns fire slightly faster. Guess how enjoyable that ship is to play when you know what the Fubuki can do.

 

Both Hatsu and Shiratsuyu are always in the top 2 performing DDs of their respective tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,506 posts
19,798 battles
2 hours ago, Yogibjoern said:

Wondering if this DD is going to be a mission reward ship just like Aigle??

 

The way they gimmick it...

When the Monaghan was just a historical T6 I thought "cool" and readied my cashbox for it. After all it was a ship with an interesting history.

But now after the Hull B intro I've spent the cash elsewhere. If the ship is a mission reward then I might grind it, just to have a T6 USN DD to compliment my Mahan and Sims.

 

13 minutes ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

Hatsu wasn't so bad.

Not as bad as Shiratsuyu. I wasn't impressed by the Hatsuharu, but the Shiratsuyu grind gave me fits. I only pushed up that line for the Duck.

Now Fubuki and Akatsuki, those are great ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,064 posts
19,648 battles

ok guys according to https://gamemodels3d.com/games/worldofwarships/vehicles/pasd506

 

USS Monaghan has 2 loadouts

 

2x4 6.4km Torps 64knots 87sec reload

2x5 9.2km  Torps 55kn . 122 sec reload. (Benson upgraded torpedoes)

 

But with the 9.2km fish she only has 2 forward firing 127mm guns and a strong AA of 10*40mm bofors and 6x20mm

With the 6.4km fish she has 4x127mm and 8x20mm

 

As far as i can see consumables are smoke/Engine boost and defensive fire on both hulls. so NO Torpedo reload boost

surface detection unmodified is 7.2km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,119 posts
8,931 battles
23 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

ok guys according to https://gamemodels3d.com/games/worldofwarships/vehicles/pasd506

 

USS Monaghan has 2 loadouts

 

2x4 6.4km Torps 64knots 87sec reload

2x5 9.2km  Torps 55kn . 122 sec reload. (Benson upgraded torpedoes)

 

But with the 9.2km fish she only has 2 forward firing 127mm guns and a strong AA of 10*40mm bofors and 6x20mm

With the 6.4km fish she has 4x127mm and 8x20mm

 

As far as i can see consumables are smoke/Engine boost and defensive fire on both hulls. so NO Torpedo reload boost

surface detection unmodified is 7.2km

I went by this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,064 posts
19,648 battles
3 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

I went by this.

OK well i would assume Wargaming facebook site is correct. But it wont be a wall of torpedoes.. as I read it

 

Torpedo launcher cooldown - 30 seconds, consumable active for 1 second, cooldown - 360 seconds, 2 charges (240 seconds cooldown and 3 charges for premium version).

 

when activated it reduces the reload from 122 seconds to 30 secsonds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,890 posts
3,709 battles
12 hours ago, T0byJug said:

ok guys according to https://gamemodels3d.com/games/worldofwarships/vehicles/pasd506

 

USS Monaghan has 2 loadouts

 

2x4 6.4km Torps 64knots 87sec reload

2x5 9.2km  Torps 55kn . 122 sec reload. (Benson upgraded torpedoes)

 

But with the 9.2km fish she only has 2 forward firing 127mm guns and a strong AA of 10*40mm bofors and 6x20mm

With the 6.4km fish she has 4x127mm and 8x20mm

 

As far as i can see consumables are smoke/Engine boost and defensive fire on both hulls. so NO Torpedo reload boost

surface detection unmodified is 7.2km

I saw Flambass play this on his twitch channel over the weekend. He was using the Benson torps.

 

He played one battle and decided in its current loadout, the ship is useless...

 

55knt torps are too slow to be useful, so she cant be an effective torp boat and reload is too slow

with 2 guns, she can't defend herself or be considered a gunboat.

 

Basically as soon as another DD spots you, all you can try and do is run, because you cant defend yourself or fend them off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,100 posts
4,794 battles

Sounds like WG might end up giving her 20km DWTs to balance her...:cap_fainting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
On 5/8/2018 at 10:59 PM, Aragathor said:

 

Not as bad as Shiratsuyu. I wasn't impressed by the Hatsuharu, but the Shiratsuyu grind gave me fits. I only pushed up that line for the Duck.

Now Fubuki and Akatsuki, those are great ships.

For me, I had to count on Hatsuharu's stealth advantage, plus A Hull guns.  It wan't a bad ship... just sort of ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×