You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hulkovius_Rex

Izumo, Good, Bad, Buff, Nerf

83 comments in this topic

Players
20 posts
7,528 battles

So I've been playing the Izumo in effort to get the Yamato, and I'm conflicted about it. While the guns are pretty good, in my opinion that is, that's about all I can find that's good about it. And in the games I've asked what people think about it and they generally say it's terrible. So, what should be done about it? Because I honestly have no idea. 

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

It isn't "bad" as in rubbish but it's probably the worst out of the T9 BB pack.

Zumo is a huge target with awful concealment. Plus your AA is mediocre to bad and the torp belt isn't amazing. Not the fastest BB either and the engine upgrade is WG's idea of a joke. 

Despite all that it's still a T9 BB with good firepower.

It's your punishment as a Yam is earned...

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
26,334 posts
14,178 battles

The stats show that she is ok and NOT the worst Tier IX BB.

She is important for learning the Yamato playstyle, if you play Yamato like Amagi, you will suffer.

• Cool 2

[ARYA]
Players
596 posts
15,400 battles

not a bad BB i think ! guns are most accurate in IJN up to tIX i think. very nice dispersion . third turret most of the times usless . eats less citadel than amagi .

i like her :cap_win:

this is my very first game with her

shot-18_04.20_11_50.33-0245.thumb.jpg.38079391db3d7972dc97b765d5c7af69.jpg 

and this is my today's game 

shot-18_05.04_20_19.54-0554.thumb.jpg.dbdd8d54f52d8e2a4607f305f430f558.jpg

• Cool 1

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts

Well, Izumo represents one of a number (8+) of draft layouts for the Yamato class, and is about the worst-configured one for gameplay comfort in WOWS. The biggest single problem with her is the rearmost turret being at the front but still facing backwards. This is probably by intention, to encourage players to pay to skip toward their coveted Yamato.

WG can just rearrange her to a conventional 2-fore 1-aft design which is unsurprisingly what most of the drafts depict, or even the 2-fore 2-aft one with according gun stat changes to make her a bit of a high tier Fuso. I don't remember if any of the drafts had 3-fore turrets with all of them facing forward like Nelson, but that would be my preferred setup to keep her unique flair while making the 3rd turret actually do something. The armour layout is also a bit crap but endemic to the Yamato design anyway so little can be done about that without fantasy layout changes.

Players
8,119 posts
8,931 battles
1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

It isn't "bad" as in rubbish but it's probably the worst out of the T9 BB pack.

Dunno, but I still need to find out what the strengths of the FdG are. So far, I only wish I had the amount of accurate guns the Izumo has without exposing my ship to a lot of pen damage. Secondaries are not very useful, AA is ok but AP bombers a pain, ship turns awfully slow, hull is well-armoured, but the ton of superstructure means you just eat a lot of pen damage there.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,245 posts
9,280 battles
9 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Dunno, but I still need to find out what the strengths of the FdG are. So far, I only wish I had the amount of accurate guns the Izumo has without exposing my ship to a lot of pen damage. Secondaries are not very useful, AA is ok but AP bombers a pain, ship turns awfully slow, hull is well-armoured, but the ton of superstructure means you just eat a lot of pen damage there.

Oh god, I'm with you! ... 20k to go for the GK. I'll be glad when the pain is over (that is with using the camoes with +400% and +200% xp).

Izumo is not the best, but it is not the worst either. At least the guns are good, which is what you absolutely cannot say about the FdG.

And doing damage is the most important thing (as a BB). Tanking is also not possible on the FdG, since any shell that hits you pens, so even while angled your superstructure still eats 15k damage on a volley... Meanwhile even at <10km range your secundaries are generally more accurate than your main guns! Ugh *rant rant*.

The Izumo is a weird ship, forget turret #3 and only use it when you are not being shot, stay at range as well and close to some AA support (a US BB or some cruisers *coughdivisioncough*). I can't remember having that much problem with the Izumo compared to the FdG. The Iowa was an absolute breeze in comparison though, And the Alsace and Lion seem to be good ships as well (not played them yet, or at least not a lot).

• Cool 1

Players
774 posts
10,584 battles

I have heard people lauding its guns as very good but I never or to grips with them. Sold her as soon as I got the Yamato

Yamato on the other hand works very well. My very first game was 200k+, something I don't think I ever got in the Izumo.

• Cool 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
44 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

I've been fond of my FdG for some weird reason, it's just a gigantic Bismarck/Tirpitz with it's armour pattern and way the guns seem to shoot.

Averaged out at 84k damage over about 100 games before I got into the GK. I think it's only real perk over the pack is high DPM, with the 406mm and reload module you can get some impressive rates of fire.

I do HATE the GK however as it's just too big to the point of being offensive...

• Cool 2

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,801 posts
19,532 battles
2 hours ago, Negativvv said:

it's just too big to the point of being offensive

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Back on topic, I just stopped playing the Izumo after three games. Felt physically painful playing that ship knowing what the other T9 BBs can do.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Players
904 posts
16,976 battles
8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Back on topic, I just stopped playing the Izumo after three games. Felt physically painful playing that ship knowing what the other T9 BBs can do.

Hmm, makes me think more about my next steps.

I am almost done with the Amagi, which i personally don´t like because the guns tend to troll me hard.

Do i save up some more free exp to jump to Yamato directly? Do i use them to get T7Lyon because i hate low tier 20knts BBs?

Edit: checked my stats with the Amagi and have my highest average damage in her compared to T8 BBs...psychology is really interesting.

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
5 hours ago, Atorpad said:

not a bad BB i think ! guns are most accurate in IJN up to tIX i think. very nice dispersion . third turret most of the times usless . eats less citadel than amagi .

Accuracy in Izumo is great. The shell arcs are also good, with good penetration.

Citadels... Amagi doesn't eat anything if you angle decently, and at short ranges, nothing at all. However, Izumo can tank AP all day long (well, other than Yamato-class AP) if you're bow in.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Quite a few people, myself included would rather play Amagi again with the MM than play Zumo...

Problem is whilst Zumo is meant to play like the Yam, you're missing those hilarious 18" guns and their overmatch potential so you can't give angled BBs the middle finger.

Amagi is probably the best tier for tier IJN BB but I'm slightly bias there :Smile_child:

• Cool 2

Players
9,903 posts
11,621 battles
7 hours ago, JG4_sKylon said:

Hmm, makes me think more about my next steps.

I am almost done with the Amagi, which i personally don´t like because the guns tend to troll me hard.

Do i save up some more free exp to jump to Yamato directly? Do i use them to get T7Lyon because i hate low tier 20knts BBs?

Edit: checked my stats with the Amagi and have my highest average damage in her compared to T8 BBs...psychology is really interesting.

I've saved and free exped Izumo, every attempt to play her on multiple test servers quickly made me go back to the Iowa. And that was back when Iowa class had raised citadel.

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles

Well, I only used 25k free xp on her. She is not bad per se, just very limited in what she can do and thus pretty boring. 

FdG though. ...... absolute abomination. Hated it with a passion. Never regretted throwing 150k free xp at it. And it was well worth it given how much fun the Kurfürst is. 

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
2 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Problem is whilst Zumo is meant to play like the Yam, you're missing those hilarious 18" guns and their overmatch potential so you can't give angled BBs the middle finger.

Amagi is probably the best tier for tier IJN BB but I'm slightly bias there :Smile_child:

That's probably the worst problem Izumo has: She sits between Amagi and Yamato, both ships with awesome potentials.

Beta Tester
2,464 posts

I don't like Izumo, its turret firing angle is kinda terrible. It's better to use the stern to tank shoots than the bow due to fragile barbettes which can cost you the guns. The later have much worse vertical dispersion than Amagi with make effective range drop to about 12-14 km so you struggle in high tier battle if you cannot get close to enemies without being burned to death.

[LADA]
Players
546 posts
8,513 battles

Pretty much as above.

As someone who adores the Amagi (great gun platform, good turn of speed, decent armour at most ranges) I utterly despise the Izumo with a passion. The 'accurate' guns seem to be anything but and the overall armour protection not half as good as it looks on paper. Doesn't help it can be seen from space and HE spammed to bits within 30s of meeting the opposing team. The result is a ship that punishes aggressive play and which is utterly wasted sitting on the sidelines sniping from the back (due to my main battery gunners seemingly being cross-eyed). 

Only 200K to go til the Yamato...*shudders*

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Izumo is a bit of a gameplay oddball for the IJN line.

Its gun layout teaches the gamestyle that makes the Yamato so damn effective, but without having the gun performance to be as effective at it. The guns themselves are pretty good, but matched with the bow-on playstyle it's boring to play and depending on your target selection meh at best. Likewise, you can't really play the Izumo like you could play the Amagi as a kiting monster.

It's basically a bastardized amalgation of playstyles but not very good at each individual tactic. Overall I'd say it's a solid ship if you can play it to its strenghts and the guns really are pretty damn good even if they can't overmatch BB hulls like the Yamato can ... with their good velocity the AP in particular can be a nasty surprise for people that weren't expecting it.

But once it gets thrown out of its comfort zone, the ship just plays awkward.

It's not nearly as bad as its reputation is, though I suppose most of that was due to the abysmal AP shells the old stockhull had which were so hilariously bad you might aswell have been throwing cotton balls until you finally got to upgrade the hull for the better shells. 

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,767 posts
16,637 battles
14 hours ago, Negativvv said:

I've been fond of my FdG for some weird reason, it's just a gigantic Bismarck/Tirpitz with it's armour pattern and way the guns seem to shoot.

Averaged out at 84k damage over about 100 games before I got into the GK. I think it's only real perk over the pack is high DPM, with the 406mm and reload module you can get some impressive rates of fire.

I do HATE the GK however as it's just too big to the point of being offensive...

Same over here, for me the FdG is just an upscaled Bismarck/Tirpitz with better armor, HP and guns (406 and reload module recommended). To my friends I often called it the last true KM BB because the GK is just a floating abomination that happens to be featuring a 12 gun salute.

Regarding Izumo I don't think it is a bad ship however it is a little hampered by the rearwards facing turret and trollish armor (sometimes you get ridiculous bounces, sometimes you get hit like a hot knife cutting butter). The problem with this ship is, that due to the brutal visibility it has a hard time switching in between tasks. As long as you only do bow-on tanking OR fighting retreats the ship usually performs fine. If however to need to switch from one play-style to enother, e.g. you need to turn (!) and run because your flank is getting overwhelmed, you will be in for a hard time.

Players
8,119 posts
8,931 battles
6 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Quite a few people, myself included would rather play Amagi again with the MM than play Zumo...

I would actually, tier for tier, consider the Fuso and maybe even Nagato stronger. The Amagi is in a tier with the NC and the highlight of German engineering, the Bismarck, while Fuso squares off against NM, Bayern, QE and Normandie. And of these ships, the NM and QE are quite slow, the Bayern has the typical German dispersion issues, the Normandie works, but the gun caliber is kind of a let down. Nagato meanwhile lacks the volume of fire, but has great guns for T7, decent speed and a ton of hp, for when that T7 armour gets overpenned. Colorado has similar guns but not the speed, nor the hp, the Gneisenau has even more severe issues keeping the guns relevant than the Bayern, the KGV and the Lyon have volume of fire, but cannot overpen the extremeties, meaning other than firing HE, they cannot do much against angled BB. T5 Kongou also is strong for its tier, given speed, decent guns, decent hp and not too bad AA. Among silver ships, the IJN from T5 to T8 is pretty solid and personally, I'd argue even the T4 is better than most people might think. T4 and T9 are likely the most mediocre ships, disregarding T3, which is garbage like most T3 BB.

Amagi is however a good ship, most due to having the heaviest broadside with good accuracy. Armour scheme when angled holds up against anything but Yamato/Musashi and it even gets slight turtleback. But the strength really is that broadside, that can just devastate enemy cruisers and take large chunks out of broadside BBs. While AP is the go-to ammunition choice, HE actually is quite potent too on Amagi and with NC and Richelieu often trying to bow-tank and not offering any broadside, this is much appreciated.

• Cool 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
15 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

Same over here, for me the FdG is just an upscaled Bismarck/Tirpitz with better armor, HP and guns (406 and reload module recommended). To my friends I often called it the last true KM BB because the GK is just a floating abomination that happens to be featuring a 12 gun salute.

Regarding Izumo I don't think it is a bad ship however it is a little hampered by the rearwards facing turret and trollish armor (sometimes you get ridiculous bounces, sometimes you get hit like a hot knife cutting butter). The problem with this ship is, that due to the brutal visibility it has a hard time switching in between tasks. As long as you only do bow-on tanking OR fighting retreats the ship usually performs fine. If however to need to switch from one play-style to enother, e.g. you need to turn (!) and run because your flank is getting overwhelmed, you will be in for a hard time.

Yes... I wish the KM T10 was a huge 8 gun BB as per KM design proposals. And FdG could have had torps, then again it's alpha would be pretty insane if it rushed you!

Zumo feels so slow to steer. It just isn't nimble and that's made worse by the concealment. I'd love it to get the 3rd turret front facing as it could really angle well then. 

Oh dear, I'm basically saying buff T9 BBs!

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

I would actually, tier for tier, consider the Fuso and maybe even Nagato stronger. The Amagi is in a tier with the NC and the highlight of German engineering, the Bismarck, while Fuso squares off against NM, Bayern, QE and Normandie. And of these ships, the NM and QE are quite slow, the Bayern has the typical German dispersion issues, the Normandie works, but the gun caliber is kind of a let down. Nagato meanwhile lacks the volume of fire, but has great guns for T7, decent speed and a ton of hp, for when that T7 armour gets overpenned. Colorado has similar guns but not the speed, nor the hp, the Gneisenau has even more severe issues keeping the guns relevant than the Bayern, the KGV and the Lyon have volume of fire, but cannot overpen the extremeties, meaning other than firing HE, they cannot do much against angled BB. T5 Kongou also is strong for its tier, given speed, decent guns, decent hp and not too bad AA. Among silver ships, the IJN from T5 to T8 is pretty solid and personally, I'd argue even the T4 is better than most people might think. T4 and T9 are likely the most mediocre ships, disregarding T3, which is garbage like most T3 BB.

Amagi is however a good ship, most due to having the heaviest broadside with good accuracy. Armour scheme when angled holds up against anything but Yamato/Musashi and it even gets slight turtleback. But the strength really is that broadside, that can just devastate enemy cruisers and take large chunks out of broadside BBs. While AP is the go-to ammunition choice, HE actually is quite potent too on Amagi and with NC and Richelieu often trying to bow-tank and not offering any broadside, this is much appreciated.

Hmmm Fuso is really derpy but weirdly fire resistant and has decent DPM.

Nagato has been power creeped out IMO as there are lots of faster BBs at T7 and the lack of decent nose armour (all T7 BB) means that others can hurt you back even without 16" guns. But at least it isn't a Colorado!

Amagi can be difficult due to the MM. I've been in many battles where I've had my HP halved at the start by hard hitting higher tiers. But it's the firepower you have yeah and accuracy. Kii simply isn't as good and arguably Amagi is the best T8 BB other than NC. I like the Amagi so much I bought the Perm camo...

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,932 posts
8,397 battles

Izumo should get reworked completely.

The model is garbage and completely devoid of logic, everything from major things like turret layout and superstructure to minor details like hangar and catapult area of the ship are completely bull.

Gameplay should get reworked as well. They just slapped on some muzzle velocity to amagi shells and called it a new ship. Izumo is looked on as a rite of passage for Yamato, but to be honest Izumo and Yamato are as different as Colorado and NC. They are nothing alike, from how you should fire your guns to when and where you can brawl. All the while being a completely different ship from Amagi and Nagato as well.

There is too much wrong with Izumo to just touch it a little and call it a day, it needs a major rework.