Sign in to follow this  
Six_Cycle_Mind

Am I in Trouble Now?

9 comments in this topic

Players
12 posts
68 battles

I'm trying to learn how to play this game and make a lot of mistakes. I played a destroyer V-25 last week or two weeks ago, and accidentally torpedoed someone on my team. I don't remember now how it happened, but I turned pink and got a warning. Today I played my Kolberg cruiser and shot a friendly ship that was close to my target. I didn't sink my team mate and he was one of those AI players, so he didn't even get mad, but I almost sank because I did 1500 damage to him, but I got about 15000 damage on me for punishment and then I got pink again, even though he didn't sink or anything.

So I understand it's bad to shoot your friends, and I try hard not to, but it's a war, right? It's good to get a warning or whatever, and I have to be pink for 2 games for penalty, so okay, I understand. But it also says I've had 2 warnings and if I get another one I'll only be able to play co-op. How long does that last? I mean, is this like probation or am I always going to carry those two mistakes and a year from now if I damage someone then I can't play against real people ever again? This is so stupid I think I might not want to play just because I only played like 30 games or whatever and I'm in trouble because I don't know how to aim very well?

I just got Rank 10 today too, so I really want to play a lot because I have 24 hours premium, but I'm really nervous about making another mistake and really wasting that reward. I know I won't play my destroyer today, or maybe not ever because it seems way too easy to make a mistake. I tried to find more information about how this penalty works and how long mistakes stay on my record, but the website info is kind of vague about that. If anyone knows exactly how this works, I'd like to know. I especially dn't want to get banned, you know? This just feels really stupid, but I like the rest of the game so far.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Just be aware of where you and your allies are and not shoot them. It's not terribly hard. In case of ships equipped with torpedoes, know your maximum torpedo range and don't fire them if there's any risk of allies potentionally wandering into them i.e.: don't torp from second line in your allies' backs and don't torp at enemies if you have allies going at them from the other direction where they might run into your torps.

If you're pink, any damage you do to allies gets reflected and amplified to you. If you're pink and set a fire or a flooding on an ally, the return damage can absolutely sink you. And for repeat offenses, you get orange and forced to play a number of CoOp games (presumably without causing any teamdamage aswell) before being allowed back to randoms. The number shouldn't be too high, I think it was somewhere around ~5 games for first offenses, but gets increased if you get caught being naughty again. Afaik the system tracks your misconduct permanently and the only way to reduce the penalties (other than not making those mistakes in the first place) is to play well as afaik the system determines the thresholds for teamdamage based on relative performance, i.e.: if you're a good player and have a slip of judgement, you won't get penalized as much as a bad player doing the same mistake.

Players
12 posts
68 battles

Thank you, I am trying to get better. I just hope that at some point, like rank 20 or something, the game says, "Okay, you're not a beginner anymore, so you get a clean record and serious punishments for breaking the rules." Like someone getting their juvenile record expunged when they become an adult, kind of a free slate, but now you can really held accountable too. The idea that some minor mistake I made in my 10th random game might haunt me a year later seems kind of extreme.

And thank you for the link as well. It is helpful.

Edited by Six_Cycle_Mind
ty

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles
39 minutes ago, Six_Cycle_Mind said:

Thank you, I am trying to get better. I just hope that at some point, like rank 20 or something, the game says, "Okay, you're not a beginner anymore, so you get a clean record and serious punishments for breaking the rules." Like someone getting their juvenile record expunged when they become an adult, kind of a free slate, but now you can really held accountable too. The idea that some minor mistake I made in my 10th random game might haunt me a year later seems kind of extreme.

And thank you for the link as well. It is helpful.

For now there are only 15 "Account Levels" ("Ranks" is misleading as it usualy refers to how far you got in the current/recent Ranked Battles gamemode).

There is some sort of new player protection in place, but not when it comes for punishing players for misbehaviour only to protect them from more skilled players. As far as i know (this didn't exist back in my days) this protection will end when you reach a certain amount of games played or if you play any Tier above and including Tier V.

Before the new system was implemented there was a mechanic in play that only accounts for teamdamage of your recently done damage. I think (too lazy to search now) it was something along those lines that you turn pink if you did 10.000 damage to teammates in your last 1.000.000 damage done (or if you actualy sink a friendly), meaning the harsher punishment for previous misbehaviour wouldn't be applied if you did enough "good" damage. (i.e. play nice and innocent)

As this system is fairly new, we don't have any knowledge if there is something along those lines as well, but i think it is very likely.

So just take care and play as innocentand mindful of your teammates as possible and these early mistakes shouldn't bother you anymore.

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

For a second I thought you were in Rank 10 in Ranked battles... That'd be an accomplishment of epic proportions. You're doing very well OP, looking at your stats. OK 10 battles so WR doesn't say much yet. But ave dmg is very impressive.

You needn't worry too much with the matter at hand. AFAIK you'll have to do much, much more bad behavior before getting into real trouble. Punishment system has been updated recently. In my whole time in wows I know missteps will be wiped clean from your slate over time and not "stack forever." So eventually with long good behavior you'll start with a clean slate. Indeed: try to do your best to avoid team damage but we are all humans and we all make mistakes.

Keep up that awesome work in your career OP! Hope to clash daggers with you soon.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,420 posts
13,341 battles

OP: if you haven't already, I suggest switching on some/all of the range indicators on your minimap (press ctrl and click on the little cogwheels above and to the right of your minimap): the torp one will show how far your torps will run, hopefully making it easier to avoid hitting allies (and not wasting them on people who are out of range too)...

I find some of these indicators really useful in general play too, and you probably will too; I tend to go with the following, for what it's worth:

• Gun range always on.
  • Torp range (where applicable) always on.
  • Detection range (both sea and air) always on.
  • Radar/Hydro range (where applicable) always on.
  • Secondary range on *if* the ship has significant ones, otherwise off.
  • Occasionally AA range on, if the ship has a significant role to play in that respect, otherwise off.

Players
12 posts
68 battles

Excellent, I didn't know I could do that. I thought all the controls were in the "settings" menu. My destroyer has to be in the enemy's face pretty much, but it's good because now I can sort of tell better who is moving into our out of my torpedo range easier. It's nice to see the names too, but that minimap gets cluttered fast, I see. Thanks for the tip @Verblonde I needed that!

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,420 posts
13,341 battles
44 minutes ago, Six_Cycle_Mind said:

Excellent, I didn't know I could do that.

I didn't either, until quite recently.

Keep asking questions on here - this forum has lots of knowledgeable folk (much more so than I am) who are happy to answer questions; look out for anyone with the 'quality poster' tag especially...

Sign in to follow this