Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
VC381

Mirror MM and "fail" divisions

16 comments in this topic

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

As we all know, in the past if someone made a division with ships of different tiers, e.g. T5 and T6, the MM takes only highest tier. This was called a "fail" division because you could end up dragging a T5 into a T8 game where it's completely outclassed and a liability on the team.

BUT,  we now have MM that must mirror ship type and tier. So if you are a T6 BB in division with a T5 cruiser, the MM must put a T5 cruiser on the enemy team. This means it must find another "fail division" to match you but if it can't, it will make sure you are in a T5-7 game.

If you division e.g. tiers 5-5-6 the chances there's another division like that in the queue are tiny, and the MM has to put 2x T5 ships on the enemy team, so it will be a T5-6 or T5-7 game 99% of the time except at times with very low server population.

Am I right, has this been tested?

I don't think this is a big exploit or anything, actually it's a good thing if it basically means different tier divisions aren't "fail" anymore!

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,853 posts
Vor 22 Minuten, VC381 sagte:

BUT,  we now have MM that must mirror ship type and tier. So if you are a T6 BB in division with a T5 cruiser, the MM must put a T5 cruiser on the enemy team. This means it must find another "fail division" to match you but if it can't, it will make sure you are in a T5-7 game

according to a report in the German forum this is not the case. A fail divison of Tier 7 and Tier 8 was put in a Tier 10 battle, and for the Tier 7 in the divison the other team got a Tier 7 that was NOT in a (fail) division... So that poor guy was tiered up due the st**id fail division...

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
2,643 posts
16,278 battles
49 minutes ago, VC381 said:

As we all know, in the past if someone made a division with ships of different tiers, e.g. T5 and T6, the MM takes only highest tier. This was called a "fail" division because you could end up dragging a T5 into a T8 game where it's completely outclassed and a liability on the team.

BUT,  we now have MM that must mirror ship type and tier. So if you are a T6 BB in division with a T5 cruiser, the MM must put a T5 cruiser on the enemy team. This means it must find another "fail division" to match you but if it can't, it will make sure you are in a T5-7 game.

If you division e.g. tiers 5-5-6 the chances there's another division like that in the queue are tiny, and the MM has to put 2x T5 ships on the enemy team, so it will be a T5-6 or T5-7 game 99% of the time except at times with very low server population.

I don't think this is a big exploit or anything, actually it's a good thing if it basically means different tier divisions aren't "fail" anymore!

Why must they find an equal division? They can always match the division's T5 ships with single T5 ships. So I don"t see how this turns it into a T7 game and not a tier 8

[TOXIC]
Players
4,668 posts
11,791 battles
3 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Why must they find an equal division? They can always match the division's T5 ships with single T5 ships. So I don"t see how this turns it into a T7 game and not a tier 8

Problem is that solo t5 ships shouldn't normally be at risk of getting in t8 matches...

I'd say it kinda sucks that fail divisions seem to be capable of messing up the tier spread for people that are NOT faildivisioning...

[NWP]
Players
2,643 posts
16,278 battles
2 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Problem is that solo t5 ships shouldn't normally be at risk of getting in t8 matches...

I'd say it kinda sucks that fail divisions seem to be capable of messing up the tier spread for people that are NOT faildivisioning...

Well, one solution would be to look at the tier of a division (aka the highest tier ship in that division) and artificially look at all ships from this division as being this highest tier. 

EG: CA 8 DD 8 CV 7 would be looked at by MM as : CA 8 DD 8 and CV 8.

That way you willingly put your team at a disadvantage and not the enemy team.

• Cool 2

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,232 battles
1 hour ago, Klopirat said:

according to a report in the German forum this is not the case. A fail divison of Tier 7 and Tier 8 was put in a Tier 10 battle, and for the Tier 7 in the divison the other team got a Tier 7 that was NOT in a (fail) division... So that poor guy was tiered up due the st**id fail division...

Yyeeah, that quite unexpectedly happened to me in an Algerie once. But to my satisfaction the guilty party in Yorck who got me in that mess in the first place, also had the decency to die first and I did not do too shabby either so no regrets. Well, OK I died of course and dmg was not the best possible BUT I was top of the team, possibly due to bonuses received because of the huge tier gap. Admittedly tho I am still definitely NOT planning to make it a habit. :Smile_great:

shit.jpg.f389bca6edf38991b09144b1b93898f0.jpgharp.jpg.e3d95cf04a44472d1bbfa459fc182e47.jpg

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,853 posts
Vor 12 Minuten, 159Hunter sagte:

Well, one solution would be to look at the tier of a division (aka the highest tier ship in that division) and artificially look at all ships from this division as being this highest tier. 

the easy (and imho best) solution would be to don't allow fail divisions at all :Smile_child:

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
15 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Time for WG to force divs to be same tier ships then.

That should have been the case all along.

• Cool 2

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles

I don't think a one tier difference is that much of a practical difference in the game. And if someone wants to bring a Missouri in my Shimakaze + Yamato division, who am I to complain?

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Oh wow, that's really quite a bad way to handle it! Good to know before I tried it!

Anyway, I don't think they need to force same tier divisions. Would it be so hard now you can only do +1 to take tiers of both ships into account?

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,232 battles
7 minutes ago, VC381 said:

...Would it be so hard now you can only do +1 to take tiers of both ships into account?

Oh but they are already doing exactly that lad... The MM will just find some unfortunate tier 7 ship for the opposite team, who gets to try his hand at a fun and engaging tier 10 game then. Problem solved! :cap_like:

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,232 battles
9 minutes ago, VC381 said:

... at least it's fair, I guess? :Smile_facepalm:

Yeah. Ahh just like the good old days, when you used to be able to get into tier 5 games with a Mikasa.... :Smile_teethhappy:

mikasa.jpg.c2431bcadb4ab99f581c9687d45a24df.jpg

PS, It is called "Favorable matchmaking"...:Smile_Default:

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
5 hours ago, VC381 said:

Want to try it, but haven't since I just haven't played any randoms in the last week :Smile_teethhappy:

Simple assumption would be - t5 ship in a t6 division is treated as a t6 ship (a.k.a. while division is 5-5-6 MM sees it as 6-6-6), of course since that's not the case with CVs I'm interested to know what approach they went for here

4 hours ago, Klopirat said:

Is that some speculation or confirmed? Because that would be... well, pretty f-ing stupid if that's the case. Then again, it's WG, so what should we expect... :cap_old:

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,853 posts
Vor 28 Minuten, wilkatis_LV sagte:

Is that some speculation or confirmed?

another player posted that he had this in one battle

Sign in to follow this