Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gojuadorai

TX Ranked and the reason why its "teams" are awfull!?

26 comments in this topic

Players
2,831 posts
19,204 battles

So i was wondering why,

nearly everyone i know playing ranked seems to have a underwhelming time in ranked compared to other seasons.

we all know "this is the worst season so far" which we hear ever season ....so far....

but this time i feel there is something to it, ofc its not one single thing there a many small things e.g. irrevocable R10 and etc.

and there is one thing nobody has named yet explicitly.

which is  the map design.

but why its better than before isnt it!? so hear me out.

Maps got cap changes  in the style of 2x "HOME" caps + 1x OFF cap on every map.

initially i thought this to be a good thing because it did something great!

it makes team strategy way more consistent and there is way less fighting teaminternally about what to do  which  results initially in better teamsplits and objective focus.

but theres a big downside to it i have realized later.

the caps are placed in such a way that if theres a fail on one side, (which is verry likely due to the nature of T10 ships that can be verry punishing)

then the other side is already so comitted  to a side that helping out or changing anything occures way to late if it can at all.

so the engagements basically (in a verry simplified form) tend to play out in a way that a single "idiot" can thow the game 3 min into the game 

cause he colapses a side which cant be balanced out  due to distance and time constraints.

the  brick like naturue of T10 vessels also does not help to reduce the problem, while even if they could withdrawing or splitting a ship is a huge deal since somuch power is cumulated in one ship at T10.

so to sum up 
if they do Ranked TX again i really hope they choose maps and cap layouts so that the barrier in between flanks isnt that huge that youre basically playing 2 games in one match 30% of the duration.

this should reduce the "RNG" feel of battles sigificantly

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
14,063 battles

Yeah it used to be a very important skill in Ranked, to shift flanks at the right time.

This is now almost impossible.

It takes away a lot of the influence that a good player can have on his team.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Will have to see if this is the case for me.

Got to R10 but I'm desperately trying to power grind that dumb RU Cruiser, just got Texas Twitch camo about 20 mins ago and I'm going to be busy at work :Smile_child:

Took me 28 games to get to R10 from whatever the starting point was for R1 however. Didn't consider it was the map placement. I've seen a surprising amount of teams throw even though they've had all 3 caps and a kill advantage. Blobbing up seems to work...

Beta Tester
4,765 posts
19,887 battles
5 hours ago, xXx_Blogis_xXx said:

had more fun and better teams on t8 games , tx ranked bad as randoms,,,

Well, there is no reason why T10 at ranked should be different than T10 at random - it's the same potatoes after all... :cap_cool:

T10 potato theory:

Spoiler

Every potatoes final goal is to reach T10 as fast as possible and stay there, because T10 proves you are a skillor.

People who want to have fun in the game rather play at mid-tiers, sometimes just to evade the T10 potatoes, so the average skill is higher at mid-tier

So in the end, T10 is the most lame tier possible, due to all potatoes assembling there to get farmed by the few players with skill...

Result: ranked with T10 ships puts the blind against the dumb... in the end the team with fewer potatoes usually wins... just like in random

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[T_D_G]
Players
389 posts
9,360 battles
2 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Well, there is no reason why T10 at ranked should be different than T10 at random - it's the same potatoes after all... :cap_cool:

T10 potato theory:

Hide contents

Every potatoes final goal is to reach T10 as fast as possible and stay there, because T10 proves you are a skillor.

People who want to have fun in the game rather play at mid-tiers, sometimes just to evade the T10 potatoes, so the average skill is higher at mid-tier

So in the end, T10 is the most lame tier possible, due to all potatoes assembling there to get farmed by the few players with skill...

Result: ranked with T10 ships puts the blind against the dumb... in the end the team with fewer potatoes usually wins... just like in random

I liked that analogy of the blind and the dumb haha like it came from the wild wild west :D. In actuallt enjoying the ranked season with Tier10. I wish they repeat it again. Cause T10 ships are really punishable and people uses to play with common sense as what i could see in my games.

Ofc there were people screwing it up (or me myself screwing it up too) but you learn the lesson fast enough.

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,067 battles

I actually think this season is more balance in terms of the wide range of ships with gimmick. I don't believe it would have been any different if they had keep it to t8. At least with tx there is no bullcrap premium ships.

Players
2,831 posts
19,204 battles
4 minutes ago, P2Win said:

I actually think this season is more balance in terms of the wide range of ships with gimmick. I don't believe it would have been any different if they had keep it to t8. At least with tx there is no bullcrap premium ships.

youre welcome to read the post first before you write something semi offtopic

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,067 battles
1 minute ago, Gojuadorai said:

youre welcome to read the post first before you write something semi offtopic

Once in a blue moon you'll see a team that even with Jesus on their side they can't win, but the reason people are so angry this rank season is because they don't like to work together and communicate. Half the time you get into matches where teammates are completely clueless. People don't like to learn the different maps and which side is more "beneficial" to focus on. As far as map layout. Don't have any issue so far.

[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles

I haven't really noticed much of a difference in team competence. Though I haven't yet played much at tier 10 ranked, just 15 battles. So far it actually seems better than other seasons. Or maybe it's because I'm playing the Kebab and that's always a bit "special".

But yeah, I can see what you mean about the maps splitting up the teams a bit much. I mean, I can move between flanks reasonably easily, but that's not the case for most others. And with just seven ships on each team splitting up in even fewer ships, then individual skill and/or luck has a much larger impact on each flank which in turn can decide a battle if the other flank doesn't collapse in the other direction. And considering how often things stalemate for a while that's not all too likely.

Also, North is still the worst map in the game. While it does keep things within a fairly small area it just means everyone's camping behind the big island in the middle and the team who camps better wins.

Players
138 posts
10,513 battles
14 hours ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Yeah it used to be a very important skill in Ranked, to shift flanks at the right time.

This is now almost impossible.

It takes away a lot of the influence that a good player can have on his team.

The thing is that many players way overcommit on their flank. They seem to believe "if we win this side we also have to push it!"

But that's not true at all. You don't have to push into the enemy side of the map just to secure the cap. You can have one ship in the cap while the rest covers them from behind, and can then switch back to the other flank.

Only very few ships like Atago, Zao, and Henri are really good on the flanks, and then you have DDs and perhaps a radar cruiser truly commit to one cap. But the rest  is largely much better off holding the center instead - this goes especially for battleships, which leaves them flexible enough to react no matter where things go down. Also these flanking cruisers that I listed are very good at "dampening" the volatility of flanks. They spot and delay the enemy early on, and punish them for pushing forwards so that it becomes easy for the rest of the team to clean them up.

I haven't really experienced the problem this thread is addressing because I'm playing with all of these things in mind. In a cruiser I delay enemy flanks. In a destroyer I know not to pursue too far. In a battleship I stick to central positions.

This is exactly why I love the new cap layouts. They reward map awareness and good positioning greatly.

Players
3,277 posts
19,066 battles
19 hours ago, Gojuadorai said:

So i was wondering why,

nearly everyone i know playing ranked seems to have a underwhelming time in ranked compared to other seasons.

we all know "this is the worst season so far" which we hear ever season ....so far....

but this time i feel there is something to it, ofc its not one single thing there a many small things e.g. irrevocable R10 and etc.

True... last irrevocable ranked had to be 15. Or maybe 20

• Funny 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,749 posts
10,206 battles

reached rank 10

had 2 games in it with shima.. and I was like,

image.png.014fc3a949aad205e1518ec490d78b6f.png

now I am grinding roon

When I get hindi, I will try again.. but I am not optimistic...

I think the surface area of the window which needs to be cleaned gets bigger tier by tier.

Thats why only the best windowlickers can reach tier 10

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
14,063 battles
6 hours ago, Teekesselchen said:

I haven't really experienced the problem this thread is addressing because I'm playing with all of these things in mind. In a cruiser I delay enemy flanks. In a destroyer I know not to pursue too far. In a battleship I stick to central positions.

This is exactly why I love the new cap layouts. They reward map awareness and good positioning greatly.

When you are at the off-cap in your DD on Hotspot for example, and they screw it up at the homebase, it will take you forever to get there. On maps like Sea of Fortune, with the close caps, you always keep your influence.

• Cool 1

[T_D_G]
Players
389 posts
9,360 battles
6 hours ago, Runegrem said:

I haven't really noticed much of a difference in team competence. Though I haven't yet played much at tier 10 ranked, just 15 battles. So far it actually seems better than other seasons. Or maybe it's because I'm playing the Kebab and that's always a bit "special".

But yeah, I can see what you mean about the maps splitting up the teams a bit much. I mean, I can move between flanks reasonably easily, but that's not the case for most others. And with just seven ships on each team splitting up in even fewer ships, then individual skill and/or luck has a much larger impact on each flank which in turn can decide a battle if the other flank doesn't collapse in the other direction. And considering how often things stalemate for a while that's not all too likely.

Also, North is still the worst map in the game. While it does keep things within a fairly small area it just means everyone's camping behind the big island in the middle and the team who camps better wins.

You know how to mitigate that? Just go wide on C(like if you were moving to D) and stop close to the big island and spam those mothertruckers.

[T_D_G]
Players
389 posts
9,360 battles
6 hours ago, Teekesselchen said:

The thing is that many players way overcommit on their flank. They seem to believe "if we win this side we also have to push it!"

But that's not true at all. You don't have to push into the enemy side of the map just to secure the cap. You can have one ship in the cap while the rest covers them from behind, and can then switch back to the other flank.

Only very few ships like Atago, Zao, and Henri are really good on the flanks, and then you have DDs and perhaps a radar cruiser truly commit to one cap. But the rest  is largely much better off holding the center instead - this goes especially for battleships, which leaves them flexible enough to react no matter where things go down. Also these flanking cruisers that I listed are very good at "dampening" the volatility of flanks. They spot and delay the enemy early on, and punish them for pushing forwards so that it becomes easy for the rest of the team to clean them up.

I usually play my hindy widening myself on the caps and deffending or hurting the island huggers ^^ but yeah, i agrre with your vision of how to play each class this ranked season. And: Do Not Overcomit, let the enemy team have fails or push hard if you didnt manage to cap a second cap.

Players
3,130 posts
10,599 battles

Another Ranked...

I care less about ranked than anything and can't be doing with the stress.  The Maps don't look great too.

Might do the usual and get to Rank 10 and stop. Have absolutely no interest to get to Rank 1....Ever.  

I prefer either "team play" like Clan Battles or Div battles like in randoms.  Ranked is neither team play OR Div big battles.  Fed up trying to coordinate the team and the amount of times i have to completely drag an awful team to victory with a CV isnt worth the stress. Playing your heart out with all that crazy AA Spec around only to come top and STILL lose does my head in.  It's not worth all that effort. 

Might do the Alabama this time.  

• Cool 1

Players
67 posts
21 hours ago, Gojuadorai said:

the caps are placed in such a way that if theres a fail on one side, (which is verry likely due to the nature of T10 ships that can be verry punishing)

then the other side is already so comitted  to a side that helping out or changing anything occures way to late if it can at all

This.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,304 posts
24,191 battles
29 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

...Ranked is neither team play OR Div big battles.  Fed up trying to coordinate the team and the amount of times i have to completely drag an awful team to victory with a CV isnt worth the stress.

So true this, the other day i literally begged 2 bbs in chat to move up from the map border before rest of us get slaughtered at c cap but no there is asashio on the red team omigod...

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
22 hours ago, Gojuadorai said:

then the other side is already so comitted  to a side that helping out or changing anything occures way to late if it can at all.

As a DD, I constantly spend the whole fscking game rushing between the two caps on one side and the single cap on the other because the window lickers next to those caps would prefer to see what is going on near the map border rather then enter the cap.

• Cool 1

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles

i am not epic player...average.....till rank10 it was ok....60+% wr.....but from rank 10....i really really newer so so much brain dead peoples.....i had 10 loss in a row where 1 dd was afk and second die in first 2 minutes...BBS are on line 1.....one cruiser 15 minutes out of fight while me in DM trying  to have crucial cap under radar...usssulay ending me focus fire from whole enemies team.....ffs....i am so frustrated.....t10 had its reason for ranked (no OP p2w premiunms) but bunch of free exp morons is overweliming...it is no fun, 

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles
3 hours ago, Excavatus said:

I think the surface area of the window which needs to be cleaned gets bigger tier by tier.

Thats why only the best windowlickers can reach tier 1(0)

You Sir speak like a true Scrub! :Smile_teethhappy:

1 hour ago, TigerMoth said:

As a DD, I constantly spend the whole fscking game rushing between the two caps on one side and the single cap on the other because the window lickers next to those caps would prefer to see what is going on near the map border rather then enter the cap.

Well as a true windowlicking scrub in my Z-52 I am usualy found IN the cap (or at the bottom of the sea), but I know what you mean. :Smile_sceptic:

On topic: I am fine with bad players in ranked. Only those really fall for the noobtrap that is Z-52 smoke+Hydro.

On average they will be on the enemyteam just as much as on your team anyways. This is how I am reaching Rank 1 easily recently (last Season with Lo Yang) so please keep them comming!  :cap_haloween:

I am fine with the cap layout (especially like Mountain range with my Z - when the enemy doesn't bring Hydro DDs and/or Radar to C then it's partytime :cap_haloween:) It rewards good individual play and punishes the bad. As a somewhat decent player this means you will win more and/or come top of xp more reliably (in the longrun).

• Cool 1

Players
138 posts
10,513 battles
4 hours ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

When you are at the off-cap in your DD on Hotspot for example, and they screw it up at the homebase, it will take you forever to get there. On maps like Sea of Fortune, with the close caps, you always keep your influence.

Then you need to work on your map awareness and foresight. You need to be able to read the map situation and predict where things are going to go down, both by the ships that you do see and those that you don't.

Obviously it's never possible to make up for every teammates' mistake, sometimes you are just stuck in a loss-loss situation because teammates are bad. But Hotspot is still a very carryable map overall.

• Boring 1

[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles
1 hour ago, Miessa3 said:

I am fine with the cap layout (especially like Mountain range with my Z

I actually like Mountain Range more in ranked than in randoms. In Randoms it's one of the worst maps but here in ranked it kinda works. Sure, you can still go to the west side, but then you're intentionally separating yourself from the rest of the map. Or maybe I just like it more because I found a nice feature of the islands at C. :Smile_smile:

@B010011A: That there's a place where you can sit and camp better isn't really a good argument against the map sucking.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,749 posts
10,206 battles
2 hours ago, Miessa3 said:

You Sir speak like a true Scrub! :Smile_teethhappy:

Well as a true windowlicking scrub in my Z-52 I am usualy found IN the cap (or at the bottom of the sea), but I know what you mean. :Smile_sceptic:

I tried to be a Scrub once..

But my hard and hourless efforts gave me a lot of cuts in my mouth.

Appereantly, tongue can be strong enough to break glass at some point..

So I am thankfull for DAVY to accept me only for rough cleaning jobs..

but one day.. one day....

Sign in to follow this