You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TigerMoth

Are some players using CV's to rig ranked?

56 comments in this topic

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

I have had 3 games now in which our CV has headed straight towards the enemy team as soon as the countdown timer has finished.

This got me thinking. With so few CV's in the game, it is really easy for two friends to get in CV's and end up in the same ranked game on opposite sides and, with one CV out of the game, it is so much easier for the other CV to carry that team to victory.

I raise the question because I wonder if anyone else has seen this happen.

(This is tier 8. I doubt this would work as well at tier X)

[PAPAT]
Players
349 posts
15,637 battles

I've heard of it and seen it too, but not (yet) in ranked.

EDIT : And in randoms, the way it mostly happens (happened) is the other torps himself in the very beginning.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,346 posts
25,561 battles

How should that work out in long run? They can't both advance or at least change leagues at same time so....why bother to double your games number for sure to make it work even remotely?

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
4 minutes ago, Profilus said:

How should that work out in long run? They can't both advance or at least change leagues at same time so....why bother to double your games number for sure to make it work even remotely?

The one player uses a secondary (throw away) account. I think most players have two accounts.  And, given the players in the CV's are not stella performers, rigging the ranked game is probably halving the number of games they would need to progress.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,869 posts
9,434 battles
7 minutes ago, Profilus said:

5 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

The one player uses a secondary (throw away) account. I think most players have two accounts.  And, given the players in the CV's are not stella performers, rigging the ranked game is probably halving the number of games they would need to progress.

Or the one who first gets to an irrevocable rank just boosts the other.

• Cool 1

Players
3,277 posts
19,066 battles
8 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

but everytime they do this, one of them is gonna lose a star surely. in long run, they are gonna be in different leuges. 

Players
4,016 posts
1 minute ago, ghostbuster_ said:

but everytime they do this, one of them is gonna lose a star surely. in long run, they are gonna be in different leuges. 

most ppl do this with multiple accounts. With VPN on even WG has problems finding out multis.

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
5 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

You seem to be missing the point of 'throw away account'. (missed the point)

I think @Nechrom's reply about irrevocable ranks is more plausible, though.

Players
3,277 posts
19,066 battles
Just now, nambr9 said:

most ppl do this with multiple accounts. With VPN on even WG has problems finding out multis.

yeah but this wont bring them anywhere. one account is gonna lose star every single time. other account will get a star. so in long run those two accounts wont be in the same leauge anymore. which means that they cant get into the same match. 

Players
4,016 posts

yeah but this wont bring them anywhere. one account is gonna lose star every single time. other account will get a star. so in long run those two accounts wont be in the same leauge anymore. which means that they cant get into the same match. 

you would be surprised what people do to win games ...

Players
3,277 posts
19,066 battles
1 minute ago, TigerMoth said:

You seem to be missing the point of 'throw away account'.

I think @Nechrom's reply about irrevocable ranks is more plausible, though.

nope you are missing the point here. if one of them lose a star and other one wins a star, they are not gonna be able to get into the same match because of being in different leauges.

last irrevocable ranked is 10. if someone needed to rig the MM just to reach ranked 10, well you shouldnt be afraid of this guy because he is probably a pleb.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,869 posts
9,434 battles

nope you are missing the point here. if one of them lose a star and other one wins a star, they are not gonna be able to get into the same match because of being in different leauges.

last irrevocable ranked is 10. if someone needed to rig the MM just to reach ranked 10, well you shouldnt be afraid of this guy because he is probably a pleb.

My guess it that it's a combination of boosting from irrevocable ranks and just simply trying to drop on the same team when that's not an option. If one starts getting ahead they can do this "trick" to trade stars with no loss and stay close in rank so they can continue trying to get on the same team and playing together, which I think is their actual goal.

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,707 battles
Vor 58 Minuten, TigerMoth sagte:

I have had 3 games now in which our CV has headed straight towards the enemy team as soon as the countdown timer has finished.

Are you sure it wasn't just a speshul Graf Zeppelin player that prefers secondaries over planes? :cap_hmm:

You'd be surprised by the number of stupid CVs on T8. While I'm not saying it's impossible, the chance for this CV just being incompetent seems way higher ^^

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
3,289 posts
14,127 battles
1 hour ago, TigerMoth said:

I guess if they would try to rig it, they would rather just not engage each other with fighters (or better just feed them to each other), so that they coud both farm damage all game and not lose a star.

Just rushing into the enemy team would not make any sense.

• Cool 3

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
2 hours ago, TigerMoth said:

Are some players using CV's to rig ranked?

How can you tell the difference between a CV player trying to throw the game and the average bad CV player?

• Funny 2

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Bad CVs rig games but not on purpose.

If WG think it's wise to remove CVs from CW then you could apply the same argument to Ranked. 

Most if not all games where a CV is superior is an automatic win for their side. The map control and shutting down of their scouting along with being able to strike anyone who makes a mistake is extremely powerful. 

Whether this is the case with T10 Ranked I can't say definitively yet as a 50% Cruiser team with Def AA would even stop brute force Hakus...

But alternatively just press Escape if you see any CVs in the queue and wait for them to pass.

Best solution...

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,394 posts
7,276 battles
34 minutes ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

How can you tell the difference between a CV player trying to throw the game and the average bad CV player?

Bad players usually "try" to play.

Yes they do stupid stuff like try to strike a DM, or fly their bombers around to try a snipe on enemy CV, and they always autodrop and dont strafe.

Players trying to throw a game will sail as fast as possible at the enemy/kill themselves.

Players trying to rig farming will strike enemy ships and not intercept enemy planes. Instead all their fighters will have a click fight somewhere unimportant and away from AA

Beta Tester
4,709 posts
10,940 battles
1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

Most if not all games where a CV is superior is an automatic win for their side

Nonsense

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

As others have said, it's possible, but of limited use. People doing that may cheat their up one bracket using that method, but as soon as the boosting account is in another bracket, he can't use the same trick with it anymore. So unless that person is really dedicated and using a tertiary boosting-account to do the same to his other one to advance it to the same bracket to an irrevokable rank it's not going to work all the way to rank 1.

Should be relatively easy to track though, since the method would rely on the same two accounts constantly facing one another and it would take a really, really, REALLY dedicated cheater to get enough alt-accounts (*cough* @Tyrendian89 *cough*) to make the match-up history diverse enough not to raise obvious red flags.

But I don't doubt some scumbags are trying to, Ranked really seems to bring out the worst of players.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
15 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

Nonsense

In un organised teams a good CV is an overwhelming advantage. Any ship that goes it alone will get picked off and the other CV will get their planes farmed before they do any significant damage.

So why do you think WG banned CVs from CW? If their massive advantage is nonsense?

Beta Tester
4,709 posts
10,940 battles
2 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

In un organised teams a good CV is an overwhelming advantage. Any ship that goes it alone will get picked off and the other CV will get their planes farmed before they do any significant damage.

So why do you think WG banned CVs from CW? If their massive advantage is nonsense?

Utter nonsense.

Even more ridiculously so as you first claim it's so overwhelming in unorganised play, and then refer to organised play as evidence.

/And reasons for no CVs in CW is similar to reasons for only one BB being allowed. 7v7 play is very different from 12v12.

• Funny 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
8 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

Utter nonsense.

Even more ridiculously so as you first claim it's so overwhelming in unorganised play, and then refer to organised play as evidence.

/And reasons for no CVs in CW is similar to reasons for only one BB being allowed. 7v7 play is very different from 12v12.

Good CVs transform the meta of games entirely. Flanking becomes almost impossible and teams have to readjust to CV attacks. This makes playing DDs very different even if you take ones with strong AA as you risk being spotted as soon as you want to make a play somewhere.

Call it nonsense if you want...

Beta Tester
4,709 posts
10,940 battles
1 minute ago, Negativvv said:

Good CVs transform the meta of games entirely. Flanking becomes almost impossible and teams have to readjust to CV attacks. This makes playing DDs very different even if you take ones with strong AA as you risk being spotted as soon as you want to make a play somewhere.

Call it nonsense if you want...

WIthout going into how you love to use no true scotsman fallacies. And how you don't understand what "meta" means..

Any good ANYTHING can change the way a game plays out. A "good", low vis, DD can entirely negate a flank too. As can a "good" BB deny flanking attempts, or a "good" CA cover a cap, neutering multiple DDs.

And you can just as easily twist it around "without CVs you leave some ships able to spot with impunity, making counter play impossible".

Just actually look at how CW battles plays out, which is usually EXTREMELY static. The lack of a CV to spot means almost nothing, while CVs in a battle would be fairly easily neutered by organized use of AAA. Indeed the lack of even the possibility means that ships gets to be set up to entirely ignore AAA and thus people (like you) gets so used to never caring about them to the point where even a semi capable CV will be effective against you.

Though at least you've progressed from the raw nonsense of every whiny newbie "better CV means automatic win omg omgomg!!" and try to be slightly more reasonable.. I guess that's something.