Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
VC381

Kagero 3D model

15 comments in this topic

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Is this getting updated? It's really out-dated and the bridge has solid windows and looks like it's made of Lego bricks.

Funny thing is, with Harekaze and Asashio they have sister ship and near-sister modelled to a much higher quality. So the work is basically already done, should be quite easy to update the Kagero model using elements from these ships.

@MrConway do you know if this is planned?

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,869 posts
9,434 battles

It's a bit sad really. I can spend time just admiring the Asashio, Harekaze or really any of the fairly recently added DDs, even the Shimakaze despite it being in the game for a long time.

But the Fubuki, Hatsuharu and Kagero look really rough.

I don't know if just using the more detailed models for the gun turrets and torpedo launchers would help or just look out of place.

Swapping between the Fubuki and the Akatsuki actually hurts the soul. She's such an old beloved IJN DD warrior, now relegated to tier 6 and looking like no one has paid her any attention in years.

• Cool 2

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

And the gorgeous Shinonome also making poor Fubuki look bad by comparison. Plus the Fubuki model is a mess of mixed features from Type I and Type II.

Anyway Harekaze actually IS a Kagero class (fictional but still), so no excuse, just re-use the hull and superstructure with the right guns!

Players
8,097 posts
8,919 battles
4 minutes ago, VC381 said:

And the gorgeous Shinonome also making poor Fubuki look bad by comparison. Plus the Fubuki model is a mess of mixed features from Type I and Type II.

Anyway Harekaze actually IS a Kagero class (fictional but still), so no excuse, just re-use the hull and superstructure with the right guns!

It has minor differences (mostly the strange things left and right of the bridge, which are neither a lifeboat nor a paravane, but strange thingies to ride on in the series, but I doubt most people actually care), but nothing that couldn't be changed quickly.

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles
20 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

It has minor differences (mostly the strange things left and right of the bridge, which are neither a lifeboat nor a paravane, but strange thingies to ride on in the series, but I doubt most people actually care), but nothing that couldn't be changed quickly.

Fair point but IJN lifeboats and paravanes are also standard components that exist on multiple other ship models. Still just a copy-paste away from being accurate :Smile_coin:

It's the bridge I care about, and that should be basically identical. Those open windows make a world of difference.

[GOUF]
Beta Tester
312 posts
6,663 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

ProTip: If you select the non-Anime permanent premium camo (Type 10 IIRC), the two fancy Skippers became two plain lifeboats, and the extra HSF-related flag on the pennant behind the rear funnel disappears, making Harekaze a perfectly viable Kagero.

Players
8,097 posts
8,919 battles
3 minutes ago, RambaRal said:

ProTip: If you select the non-Anime permanent premium camo (Type 10 IIRC), the two fancy Skippers became two plain lifeboats, and the extra HSF-related flag on the pennant behind the rear funnel disappears, making Harekaze a perfectly viable Kagero.

Thought as much, but never ran it. Cat camo gives more commander exp.

[GOUF]
Beta Tester
312 posts
6,663 battles
6 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Thought as much, but never ran it. Cat camo gives more commander exp.

Cat Camo is the best, regardless Commander XP bonus... :etc_red_button:

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,869 posts
9,434 battles
1 hour ago, VC381 said:

The Shinonome is a strange one.

It's a mishmash of highly detailed parts and old Fubuki-quality stuff.

Despite being somewhat new, at least compared to the original IJN line, it has that really old low resolution texture (rivets, doors etc) and details like the winches for the torpedo ready racks are not there, only the low poly supports for them.

The only thing that actually tells you it's a more recently added ship is the guns (really detailed) and the bridge (okay detail).

If you look closely at all the IJN DDs (Special-types at least) you'll see that there is a lot of variations in detail. Both Akatsuki and Asashio have those gorgeously detailed guns and torpedo launchers, but there is one detail which only one IJN DD has which I absolutely love and would like to see on them all: cleats! (on the Yugumo btw)

• Cool 1

[PIKAS]
Beta Tester
2,265 posts
6,600 battles

the Yugumo is the best looking IMHO !

The reason i hesitate a bit to sell it, after  i have the Shimakaze now.

Players
8,097 posts
8,919 battles
20 minutes ago, RambaRal said:

Cat Camo is the best, regardless Commander XP bonus... :etc_red_button:

Look at my shiny yellow-orange ship that somehow still is super-stealthy, prowling the seas for prey. And if the enemy has not turned off HSF in port, they will know, they have been sunk by weeb.

Sadly Isoroku captain was handed out later, so I don't run him with cat camo. Grinding a 6 point captain to 14 points when I have a perfectly serviceable 17 point captain is just not within the lengths of self-harm I'm willing to undergo.

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles
13 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

The Shinonome is a strange one.

It's a mishmash of highly detailed parts and old Fubuki-quality stuff.

Despite being somewhat new, at least compared to the original IJN line, it has that really old low resolution texture (rivets, doors etc) and details like the winches for the torpedo ready racks are not there, only the low poly supports for them.

The only thing that actually tells you it's a more recently added ship is the guns (really detailed) and the bridge (okay detail).

If you look closely at all the IJN DDs (Special-types at least) you'll see that there is a lot of variations in detail. Both Akatsuki and Asashio have those gorgeously detailed guns and torpedo launchers, but there is one detail which only one IJN DD has which I absolutely love and would like to see on them all: cleats! (on the Yugumo btw)

Yes, would be great to have consistency of all those fine details as well. I'm sure they'll do it eventually, like they fixed Des Moines windows. I don't have a Yugumo but might need to go admire it in port now!

For Fubuki I just meant weird mix of big features, like engine room vents from Type I (and not even accurate, Shinonome is) mixed with hull and turrets from Type II and a bridge that's not quite right for either.

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,274 posts
3,518 battles
On 5/2/2018 at 11:54 AM, VC381 said:

Is this getting updated? It's really out-dated and the bridge has solid windows and looks like it's made of Lego bricks.

Funny thing is, with Harekaze and Asashio they have sister ship and near-sister modelled to a much higher quality. So the work is basically already done, should be quite easy to update the Kagero model using elements from these ships.

@MrConway do you know if this is planned?

We're planning to bring all of the models up to scratch bit by bit, but I cannot give you an ETA for Kagero specifically, sorry.

• Cool 3

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles
6 hours ago, MrConway said:

We're planning to bring all of the models up to scratch bit by bit, but I cannot give you an ETA for Kagero specifically, sorry.

Thanks. Great news as long as it's in the pipeline :cap_like:

Sign in to follow this