You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
N00Boo7

Helmut Schiffmann- new german commander

53 comments in this topic

[HANDS]
Players
247 posts
21,023 battles

On what ships can be used at full potential? His special  skills are Jack of all Trades -10% instead of-5% reuse time on all mounted consumables, and Vigilance 35% insead of 25%. I dont realy use this skills on any of my german ships :Smile_hiding:

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,506 posts
19,798 battles

None. The combination of skills offers no advantage to German ships.

Vigilance - Germans have the best hydro, plus they have hydro on ships that normally don't have it (national trait). You are better off taking SI because of that.

Jack of All Trades - most of the time the premium consumable cooldown isn't too much of a problem for German ships. Their use is mostly situational and an extra 5% off cooldown won't matter. Hell, the Hydro Mod 1 takes away any reason to pick JoAT.

If they gave him High Alert or/and Basics of Survivability, then he would play to the role of German ships being tanky bullies that can survive whatever you throw at them.

[CBS]
Players
75 posts
10,357 battles

As Aragathor said, his skill combination unfortunately makes little sense on German ships.

If Vigilance would increase Hydro range in general, not only torp detection, then he would be a great fit. But as he is now...

When WG first posted the wrong stats for him (EL and EM) he at least was a perfect fit for the Yorck... :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Clan mate feels this captain is built for a GK...

Even then they're luxury skills to increase survivability. That involves a huge amount of grinding or Elite XP.

I'd rather have a token I can add the buffs to an existing captain as I've got numerous 19pt captains and it isn't worth starting a few one for the incremental buffs unless it's CW and you need every last advantage. 

Players
1,143 posts
18,400 battles

The only ships where the Vigilance improvement could be somewhat useful are the oversized destroyers, i.e. Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Tirpitz, in combination with rudder. JoaT set to 10% would mean not needing to use High Alert (2 points freed for something else like Adrenaline Rush) while buffing the rest of the consumables. I agree it's not a very good pair for the usual KM ships and flavour though.

Salute.

[PIKAS]
Beta Tester
2,265 posts
6,601 battles

you know that Vigilance DOES stack with Hydro......

Anyway, WG schould be aware that „schiffen“ means also to pee in german :Smile_teethhappy:

[CBS]
Players
75 posts
10,357 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, stinkmorchel sagte:

you know that Vigilance DOES stack with Hydro......

Only for torpedo detection though.

And with 4km torpedo detection on the German T10 hydro already, there isn't much reason to buff that even further.

Sure, if you are super scared of torps you might opt into taking Vigilance. But personally, I wouldn't want to give up the 3 skill points from other skills for that.

[PIKAS]
Beta Tester
2,265 posts
6,601 battles

true, sorry, forgott to mention it only stackes for Torpedoes.As Vigilance is only for Torpedoes

[PARAZ]
Players
2,592 posts
12,888 battles
42 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Schiffmann? Why not Boaty McBoatface?

It is indeed an extremely stupid captain's name, even for WG standards ("john doe"...)

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,488 battles
1 hour ago, N00Boo7 said:

On what ships can be used at full potential? His special  skills are Jack of all Trades -10% instead of-5% reuse time on all mounted consumables, and Vigilance 35% insead of 25%. I dont realy use this skills on any of my german ships :Smile_hiding:

Idea no. 1 : On the Hindenburg or the Roon.  You can take the improved Vigilance on the cpt and choose def AA instead of hydro on the consumables slot.

Idea no. 2 : On the Z-52.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,293 posts
14,195 battles
1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

Clan mate feels this captain is built for a GK...

Even then they're luxury skills to increase survivability. That involves a huge amount of grinding or Elite XP.

I'd rather have a token I can add the buffs to an existing captain as I've got numerous 19pt captains and it isn't worth starting a few one for the incremental buffs unless it's CW and you need every last advantage. 

I have been told that even with Hydro up, it can be quite tricky to evade fast torpedoes in GK, so stacking the additional Vigilance should be useful.

At least it will help a lot, once the Hydro is on cooldown, since GK is a huge torpedo magnet.

And that JOAT will ofc help to bring the Hydro up again.

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles

They could pethaps have given him a special' Vigilance' skill that extends hydro detection for ships as well as for torpedoes? That might have been useful on a destroyer, if nothing else. :cap_hmm:

Beta Tester
3,293 posts
14,195 battles
3 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

They could pethaps have given him a special' Vigilance' skill that extends hydro detection for ships as well as for torpedoes? That might have been useful on a destroyer, if nothing else. :cap_hmm:

That would make Z-52 stupidly OP.

[PARAZ]
Players
2,592 posts
12,888 battles
9 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Cause at the moment it is perfectly balanced in randoms :Smile_coin:

Beta Tester
3,293 posts
14,195 battles
3 minutes ago, PzychoPanzer said:

Cause at the moment it is perfectly balanced in randoms :Smile_coin:

It is balanced.

Every reasonable TX DD player will just stay at 6km and torpedo that smoke instead, trying to flush him out.

The fact that there are also people who - at TX - still not learned how to engage hydro+smoke, doesn't make it unbalanced in my eyes.

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
12 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Well, now, I wouldn't want that. Bother. Now, why couldn't they just give poor Schiffmann a boosted 'Expert Marksman' skill, like the rest of them? That one is always useful.

[PARAZ]
Players
2,592 posts
12,888 battles
1 minute ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

It is balanced.

Every reasonable TX DD player will just stay at 6km and torpedo that smoke instead, trying to flush him out.

The fact that there are also people who - at TX - still not learned how to engage hydro+smoke, doesn't make it unbalanced in my eyes.

Well, yea, true.

It's just that I am so amazed at how many people obviously don't know about hydro DDs, while they have been in the game for how long, more than a year?

Beta Tester
110 posts
3,805 battles

well apart from the stupid generic name (why not take something like Karl von Müller for example?), the buffs this captain grants are quite underwhelming. To further push the defensive and tanky flair of german ships they could give him better fire prevention and/or SE stats.. but nooo give this dude a dumb name (please if it has to be generic without historical context just name him Peter Schulz or something) and buffs to skills that arent used by many players:Smile_sceptic:

meeh

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
1 hour ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

The only ships where the Vigilance improvement could be somewhat useful are the oversized destroyers, i.e. Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Tirpitz, in combination with rudder. JoaT set to 10% would mean not needing to use High Alert (2 points freed for something else like Adrenaline Rush) while buffing the rest of the consumables. I agree it's not a very good pair for the usual KM ships and flavour though.

Already plenty of higher points skills useful for buffing secondaries/survivability in closer range work, so it's not like they have loose skill points for some JoaT.

19 minutes ago, PzychoPanzer said:

Well, yea, true.

It's just that I am so amazed at how many people obviously don't know about hydro DDs, while they have been in the game for how long, more than a year?

Considering there are likely still those thinking repair bill depends on damage taken why should that be surprise?

[DAVY]
Players
2,750 posts
13,710 battles
10 minutes ago, Bademeister02 said:

well apart from the stupid generic name (why not take something like Karl von Müller for example?), the buffs this captain grants are quite underwhelming. To further push the defensive and tanky flair of german ships they could give him better fire prevention and/or SE stats.. but nooo give this dude a dumb name (please if it has to be generic without historical context just name him Peter Schulz or something) and buffs to skills that arent used by many players:Smile_sceptic:

meeh

might it be something to do with permission to use an actual persons name rather than 'some generic name'...

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,263 battles
15 minutes ago, Bademeister02 said:

meeh

Max Mustermann ?? :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CBS]
Players
75 posts
10,357 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, _Helmut_Kohl_ sagte:

I have been told that even with Hydro up, it can be quite tricky to evade fast torpedoes in GK, so stacking the additional Vigilance should be useful.

At least it will help a lot, once the Hydro is on cooldown, since GK is a huge torpedo magnet.

And that JOAT will ofc help to bring the Hydro up again.

While certainly true, what skills to drop for Vigilance and JoAT?

Fire seems to be the GKs bigger problem, so dropping either FP or HA is, imho, not really an option.

Dropping CE, maybe?

Whatever combination I try, it just seems awkward to make his improved skills work on the GK.

Meh... maybe I am just too used to running a certain skill set.

(And maybe I should not comment on skills for the GK, as I cannot make that floating continent work anyway) :Smile_smile:

Players
242 posts
11,752 battles

Vigilance + Target Acquisition mod + Hydro means 6,5km torp detection on a GK for example(?) 

So you can actually spot the torps while being launched from an unspotted DD :Smile_coin:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2