uhasada

When to change ship?

8 comments in this topic

[SCHY]
Players
4 posts
665 battles

Hi everyone

I have played world of tanks for years now as well as many other games, now I started world of warships and I think I got the hang of it, there is however a thing I need your assistance for: When to change up a tier.

Should I:

1) Stick with a ship for as long as possible, get all upgrades, level the captain to max etc before upgrading to the next tier.

or

2) skip ahead as fast as possible to get to the top tier?

thx in advance.

ps. Just upgraded from Bayern to the Gneisenau.

pps. I am a gamer, not a millionaer with dads creditcard, so I only very rarely buy anything in these free to play games and so far, I havnt spend any money on this game.

[CATS]
Players
15,908 posts
11,172 battles

Whatever you like. There is no rule.

I fully research one ship, before I buy the next one. If I like the old one, I keep it and continue playing it.

Should you feel out of your depth on the new tier, play some more on the lower tiers. It also helps to play multiple ship lines, to learn all their strengths and weaknesses.

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles

You should get all upgrades before going to the next ship. But don't wait for a maxed Captain, that will take quite some time ^^

A 10 point captain should be enough for now, so you can get a level 4 skill.

Going as fast as possible just means you will meet far more experienced players.

I have heard bad things about being lowtier in WoT, but in WoWs even lowtier ships can have very good matches against higher tiers, so it's not necessary to level up fast.

• Cool 2

[SCHY]
Players
4 posts
665 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

Whatever you like. There is no rule.

I fully research one ship, before I buy the next one. If I like the old one, I keep it and continue playing it.

Should you feel out of your depth on the new tier, play some more on the lower tiers. It also helps to play multiple ship lines, to learn all their strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks. I know there are no rules, just wandering if there was one thing that was a clear advantage over the other. Thanks again.

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
19 posts
4,209 battles

A medium-in-between would be the best way to go, i think.

Play a ship long enough to do well on the score board at the end of a match, but not so long that you start to get bored with the ship. The most important part of the progression up the tech trees should be to understand why you did well in the ship, not how fast you can do it.

A word of advise tho', going from mid- to high tiers (tier 7 to 8 usually) the ships usually shift drastically in some way. Take the American cruisers as an example, from 1-7 you are a lightly armoured cruiser with good guns and decent fire rate. At tier 8 and above, you start to get more armour which makes you slower to turn and your rate of fire increases dramatically. Of course, there is exceptions to this, but as a rule of thumb, I think it works well.

Good luck on the high seas, Captain :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[SCHY]
Players
4 posts
665 battles
19 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

You should get all upgrades before going to the next ship. But don't wait for a maxed Captain, that will take quite some time ^^

A 10 point captain should be enough for now, so you can get a level 4 skill.

Going as fast as possible just means you will meet far more experienced players.

I have heard bad things about being lowtier in WoT, but in WoWs even lowtier ships can have very good matches against higher tiers, so it's not necessary to level up fast.

Agree on the WoT thing. A low tier tank has almost no way of even scratching a higher tier tank, this game seems to have that fixed.

I understand somewhere inbetween is the way to go :)

19 hours ago, SnailofDoom said:

A medium-in-between would be the best way to go, i think.

Play a ship long enough to do well on the score board at the end of a match, but not so long that you start to get bored with the ship. The most important part of the progression up the tech trees should be to understand why you did well in the ship, not how fast you can do it.

A word of advise tho', going from mid- to high tiers (tier 7 to 8 usually) the ships usually shift drastically in some way. Take the American cruisers as an example, from 1-7 you are a lightly armoured cruiser with good guns and decent fire rate. At tier 8 and above, you start to get more armour which makes you slower to turn and your rate of fire increases dramatically. Of course, there is exceptions to this, but as a rule of thumb, I think it works well.

Good luck on the high seas, Captain :Smile_honoring:

Thanks, much appreciated.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,002 posts
24,119 battles
On 2018-05-01 at 3:44 PM, uhasada said:

Hi everyone

I have played world of tanks for years now as well as many other games, now I started world of warships and I think I got the hang of it, there is however a thing I need your assistance for: When to change up a tier.

Should I:

1) Stick with a ship for as long as possible, get all upgrades, level the captain to max etc before upgrading to the next tier.

or

2) skip ahead as fast as possible to get to the top tier?

thx in advance.

ps. Just upgraded from Bayern to the Gneisenau.

pps. I am a gamer, not a millionaer with dads creditcard, so I only very rarely buy anything in these free to play games and so far, I havnt spend any money on this game.

I would  spent some money on port slots so you can keep some of the ships you like. Above all try a few lines in various countries up to say t5/6 rather than advance just one or two. These make you know the basic roles for each ship type and country as they differ a lot, it helps you not only play better but also know your enemy f.e. roughly how long enemy DD torps go etc per ship/tier/country and how they likely are played if the enemy knows what he is doing and their weaknesses.

I will also state that roughly from T7 it is getting more expensive to play as both the captain level among enemys and that you likely use /should use) premium consumables. It is dificult to make a profit with standard account over that at least so you can afford the more and more expensive ships. 

The game has matured that means that many of the ships you face have high end captains more the higher up you go. At higher tiers it is difficult to play with stock ships and you are adviced to use a 10 p captain at least. Never freeXP ships only modules. Buy a few interesting premiums or at least be aware of the various free premium ships that comes now and then in missions.

So when you reach around T7 Premium account is recommended unless you play lots of low/mid tier games to finance higher tier play. At least for periods so you build up credits. When you say you do not have Daddys credit card it is difficult to be specific but in the long run it is difficult to play without any sum spent and you give the impression that at least some money can be spent. It pays off but WOWs is a game taht can be very expensive if you want to by buying lots of premiums but premium time comes first I would say. 

• Cool 1

[3STG]
Players
328 posts
10,495 battles

After doing virtually all imaginable mistakes and "rights", I'd say that one could/should move on to the next ship, when you "master" the current. And by mastering, I mean when you feel comfortable in it and you can perform well in it. Don't expect it just to happen, you will have to work for it in some ships. There is and will be ships that you will hate and think they are utterly bad and underpowered, but, that is the very moment one should do some research ; Almost every ship can and will be effective when played correctly, and, (if) your team is not filled with potatoes. So, do not make too fast conclusions in any ship.

Analyze your gameplay, what was good, what was bad. Do some mistakes, try different things. Does everybody else get sunk/caps/dmg/wins/shout at/thanks for/complimented/flamed with that style? Look up some CC's videos, read the forum ect.

I have rushed some ships because I hated them. Then I was with even more worse ship. Then I rushed some more... And then I slapped myself on the cheek and bought the previous back and said in my head "there is something in this ship I must learn before I can understand that next one." And I'm grateful I did.

At this point, I've learned that if some ship seems to be utterly bad, it has something to teach to you. Some ships are kinda bad just because they are preparing you for the next one. Some ships in mid tiers even prepare you for the tier 10 ship of that specific line. But only understanding that specific ship will make you understand how to counter it, if someone is very good in it.

And that just might be the best lesson I've ever managed to learn in any ship.

The money thing : There is and will be a lot of different missions, events and tasks to do, where you can acquire and win stuff ; Do them and you will be rewarded. Read the main WG site news regularly to be on top of things and don't miss any event. There will be a lot of stuff going around and usually you don't have to spend any money. But, like stated above ; sometimes you "have to" to keep up the pace you might achieved by playing good. (Port slots, gold for captain re-spec ect) It will take time, but so will learning the game thoroughly. Some CC's claim 1000 games, I'd say it's a good start. Mechanics are quite tricky and constantly changing, so if you are a HC gamer, this will not be news for you. Be patient and do your homework.

I warmly welcome you to this side of the light, fair seas fellow captain!

EDIT : And play more random battles, co-ops won't teach you too much how to teamplay and how to handle different MM setups... there will be some frustrating moments but that will teach you a lot.

Edited by Paimentaja
Typo's, added info
  • Cool 1