Sign in to follow this  
StarkillerDP

texas shell dispersion

9 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts
668 battles

I have been playing for about 3 weeks and did enjoy the game.

However I got the Prime Twitch Texas and I really can not get on with it.

I can seam to hit anything long or near, most shell go over or under and often both.

Even at 3-5km(secondary's were firing) I shot broadside shells under and over from the same gun salvo. its so annoying and embarrassing to fire all guns point blank at a sitting duck and miss, then have to wait 30sec or more.

Its so bad I'm swearing at the PC and need a break:etc_swear:

Im trying to the Varyag slot , but as I struggle with damage, I'm stuck on 65,000 and win part

Any Ideas, I'm trying Coop but either 1) BB cant get to the Bot's before they are cleaned out by Allies or 2) I get Focused down by DD, 3)some games there is not enough Ships with high hit points.

Ive tried the Penscola(soft and slow), Cleavland(good rate of fire and accurate, but low damage) and the US Lvl V DD(Torp range is to short for my liking)

Kill thief's are annoying too, I get a BB down to 5-10% alone then everyone "piles on" to the steal the kill.

I'm hoping some advise can bring back the fun....

[CATS]
Players
15,865 posts
11,167 battles

Texas is much more accurate than South Carolina or Wyoming. Have you played other Battleships?

Texas has very deadly guns.

Players
4 posts
668 battles

I have the Wyoming and the Bretagne, Ive not got on so well with these, but the Texas seams to be so varied in where the shots go.

I would not moan if Ive not lead or got the Distance right, but when one shell(of the pair fired from one gun) falls short and the second goes long(over) what chance have you got.

Ive had shells "bow on" fall either side of enemy ships.

You might expect it at long range, due to the angle error, but it should improve as you get closer.

its bad enough waiting between reloads, when you add 1-5min to start then 45sec to actually start, then 1-2min+ to get the "contact".

Ive had games with little or not damage scored, its all very disheartening.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,592 posts
6,443 battles

OP: bear in mind that most BBs often struggle to hit the side of a barn, from the inside - it's to balance the hideous firepower they do have when they manage to land a decent strike.

I find Texas a bit frustrating at times too; besides it being a BB (I find most of them, especially lower tier, painfully slow and ponderous), much of its 'oompf' is focused on the AA - it's glorious if an enemy CV is silly enough to have a go at you, but that doesn't happen very often. Because the AA is so good, Texas got slightly balanced elsewhere, or at least it feels that way to me...

If the 65K and win part is giving you trouble, perhaps give a torp DD a try in coop? I've found some of the IJN ones to be rather good when you want to rack up decent damage totals. For that specific mission, I think I just cheated and used a high-tier BB in coop, but that isn't terribly sporting...

• Cool 1

Players
123 posts
3,141 battles

If you want 65k damage focus of killing cruisers early on in battle. With proper lead and a double click (Full salvo) they are almost deleted. Focus on light cruisers like konigsberg, nurnberg, omaha, etc. Doesn't mean you neglect the broadside battleship in front of you. I recommend you almost always fire full salvoes because I find such shots are more accurate. Some may disagree with this but it helps me. Of course, do that when you can safely show broadside for doing that.  American battleships don't require the use of HE ammunition 98% of the time because their AP is sufficiently strong.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,814 posts
6,919 battles
5 hours ago, StarkillerDP said:

However I got the Prime Twitch Texas and I really can not get on with it.

I can seam to hit anything long or near, most shell go over or under and often both.

Even at 3-5km(secondary's were firing) I shot broadside shells under and over from the same gun salvo. its so annoying and embarrassing to fire all guns point blank at a sitting duck and miss, then have to wait 30sec or more.

Yeah, that sounds pretty normal for a BB. That's just how it works

Texas has 10 guns, which means that on average when firing at a big target (so anything that's not a DD) you'd hit about 2...3 shells each salvo. Yeah, that few. That's perfectly normal

Also for the closest 5...6 km from your ship there's the "dispersion penalty" to make sure you can't instahit everything that dared coming that close to you.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
15,865 posts
11,167 battles
5 hours ago, StarkillerDP said:

I have the Wyoming and the Bretagne, Ive not got on so well with these, but the Texas seams to be so varied in where the shots go.

I would not moan if Ive not lead or got the Distance right, but when one shell(of the pair fired from one gun) falls short and the second goes long(over) what chance have you got.

Ive had shells "bow on" fall either side of enemy ships.

You might expect it at long range, due to the angle error, but it should improve as you get closer.

its bad enough waiting between reloads, when you add 1-5min to start then 45sec to actually start, then 1-2min+ to get the "contact".

Ive had games with little or not damage scored, its all very disheartening.

Texas is much more accurate and deadly than those two.

Looks like you were very lucky in the past that you discover BB dispersion only now.

Players
4 posts
668 battles

Thanks for the advise.

I managed to get a Coop game with My US tier V DD to 80,000 with lot of luck... first game aswell.

So I should make it now, that part felt like a brick wall

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this