You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Saiyko

Two little gripes

17 comments in this topic

[AAO]
Players
1,808 posts
9,611 battles

1. The new diamond shaped caps on certain maps.

Quite selfexplaining. It just funnels the two teams into very limited places to go, where they can have a hilariously engaging (/s) bow on sniping game for 15 minutes. A lot of maps are already limited enough in viable choices to go, this really isn't needed on top of that.

(not even mentioning the possibility of two opposite lemming trains)

2. Frigging radar module on the Des Moines (Worcester?)

Almost a minute of radar. Are you kidding me?

While I'm extremely cynical of WG's selfawareness about the game, I thought months ago they would (eventually) notice this problem themselves, and would have already adressed it by now, especially seeing tier 10 CBs/ranked.

Quod non.

Thoughts/remarks welcomed, especially by WG team members.

• Cool 2

Players
1,559 posts
13,419 battles
18 hours ago, PzychoPanzer said:

2. Frigging radar module on the Des Moines (Worcester?)

Almost a minute of radar. Are you kidding me?

While I'm extremely cynical of WG's selfawareness about the game, I thought months ago they would (eventually) notice this problem themselves, and would have already adressed it by now, especially seeing tier 10 CBs/ranked.

Quod non.

Thoughts/remarks welcomed, especially by WG team members.

Don't mind that at all. If i manage to stay under radar for one minute i have made some big mistakes. :Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Diamond shaped caps.... I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But here you lost me. AFAIK the caps are all circles? 

About capping. I know lots of "important YT people" keep screaming "capping wins games." And they have a point. But I learned the hard way: obsessing for caps and throwing away your DD loses games.... My sincere advice, which goes for me as much: live to fight/ cap another day.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
1 minute ago, Ferry_25 said:

Diamond shaped caps.... I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But here you lost me. AFAIK the caps are all circles? 

About capping. I know lots of "important YT people" keep screaming "capping wins games." And they have a point. But I learned the hard way: obsessing for caps and throwing away your DD loses games.... My sincere advice, which goes for me as much: live to fight/ cap another day.

As long as you actually keep the cap in mind and stay aware to cap when it seems open, sure. But too often, people either rush, or they go off on their own adventures.

Beta Tester
290 posts
3,507 battles
2 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I think he means all 4 caps in a diamond shape

A

B   C

D

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,358 posts
11,268 battles
17 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

(...)

What @PzychoPanzer means is the arrangement of caps: 4 caps , one "native" for each team and two on the middle line. The caps are round but they are set up like this:

----o----

o------o

----o----

Something like every map being a Two Brothers map, only without the big islands that would make such a set-up natural :Smile-_tongue:

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Aha! Thanks guys! My 2 neurons are firing at each other now. I get it. IMO that's one of the best adjustments in this game.... Forcing to abandon island camping by all classes and actually fight for caps. So FO OP. This is IMO one of the best things in wows!

[AAO]
Players
1,808 posts
9,611 battles
5 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Forcing to abandon island camping by all classes and actually fight for caps. So FO OP. This is IMO one of the best things in wows!

What BS is that? No matter how the caps are distributed, if idiots wanna hide in the middle of nowhere, reverse to the border, whatever, they will still do that.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,358 posts
11,268 battles
5 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Aha! Thanks guys! My 2 neurons are firing at each other now. I get it. IMO that's one of the best adjustments in this game.... Forcing to abandon island camping by all classes and actually fight for caps. So FO OP. This is IMO one of the best things in wows!

Two things I don't get in your post:

1. How does this distribution of caps prevent island camping?

2. How does the "standard" distribution (3 caps on the middle line) contribute to island camping?

I mean, where is the connection you see there?...

If anything, the island camping actually gets worse with this arrangement because - with nothing of interest in the middle of the map - the forces tend to clash on two sides of the map, head-on - and with enemy coming at you from only one direction (as people going for the other cap are too far to be a threat to you or spot you) it's easier to find a suitable island or park bow-on to the enemy and pull out your camping gear.

Players
961 posts
4,957 battles

Agree on the first point, especially since free caps could just not be there at all. All it does is keep the games shorter and forces teams to split up which leads to the usual 9 ships that don't push on one side while three on the other have to fight tooth and nail just to stay alive or delay. 

Des Moines radar is fine as is though. She struggles to hit at range anyway. In my cw experience I learned how to deal with her quote well. 

[TS1]
Players
586 posts
7,618 battles
11 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Agree on the first point, especially since free caps could just not be there at all. All it does is keep the games shorter and forces teams to split up which leads to the usual 9 ships that don't push on one side while three on the other have to fight tooth and nail just to stay alive or delay.

I think it mostly only shortens the first boring part of the battle when all DDs converge on the closest cap just to get some extra point, sit in it for a while and then move out towards the other caps in whatever distrubution they please while the rest of the ships either follow into the cap or just wait until the DDs move on because they don't want to commit to either side before they know they have some DD meatshields in front of them.

Judging by how teams split up now and how they did it back when caps weren't pre-claimed there's not really much of a difference. Fail teams will fail regardless.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,008 posts
15 hours ago, PzychoPanzer said:

1. The new diamond shaped caps on certain maps.

(...)

Diamond shaped? But, but...

diamond-shapes.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,358 posts
11,268 battles
17 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

Diamond shaped? But, but...

diamond-shapes.jpg

Pro tip:

Diamond-shaped has nothing to do with diamonds. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an actual diamond cut to be diamond-shaped :Smile_teethhappy:

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,358 posts
11,268 battles
56 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Agree on the first point, especially since free caps could just not be there at all.

The purpose of the free caps is most likely to eliminate the super-short matches that end by one team losing a couple ships quickly without capping anything - the 300 points every team starts with can run out pretty quick and there were some complaints about that. Admittedly, victories achieved this way tend to be pretty underwhelming reward-wise. I personally don't care much, a win's a win and a match that goes down the hill THIS fast is bound to be one-sided slaughter anyway (so not much fun in being on the winning side and even less if losing like this) but I know there are people who feel cheated out of "their" rewards if they win and end up with relatively little XP/credits because it was a fast one (ok, it is a bit sad even for me if it's a +200% first win with dragon flags stacked :Smile-_tongue: ).

With "native" caps, some points are going to be accumulating, making it harder to run out of them by sucking really hard (as a team).

[SCRUB]
Players
2,008 posts
20 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Pro tip:

Diamond-shaped has nothing to do with diamonds. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an actual diamond cut to be diamond-shaped :Smile_teethhappy:

You are such a killjoy Mr. Euclid... :Smile-_tongue:

Players
849 posts
8,520 battles

Despite all the changes in the past weeks and months in regards to MM, maplayout, etc. Matches tend to become more and more onesided. I don't know if the one free cap per team actually helped in this, since I've seen quite a lot of people being reluctant to even try to cap another one because "we already have a cap" < epic facepalm. 

Maybe they should turn things around completely. Lets give each team a lot more points and let them bleed out until the team caps. And having one cap slows the bleed, having two stops it and with three they accumulate points. It would probably give the team a greater incentive to risk some for a cap.

Offtopic: Has there ever been a team death match test in wows? E.g. no caps just ships to kill? 

I know, I know... it Will be boring as hell with two sides camping in spawn but I'm just curious if it has ever been tested. 

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,808 posts
9,611 battles
3 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Offtopic: Has there ever been a team death match test in wows? E.g. no caps just ships to kill? 

I know, I know... it Will be boring as hell with two sides camping in spawn but I'm just curious if it has ever been tested. 

Not afaik. Though most campfest aka standard battles tend to follow this pattern.