You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TyskaViha

Team Damage penalty and Torpedos.

18 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
79 battles

I'm a relatively new player. Played this in closed alpha for a couple hundred games and then played on release on a different account. I was an average player at best but now im back on a new account and im doing pretty well in my opinion. My only issue is the dreaded "Pink name". Now i know people reading this are expecting to see a "I fired torps close to a friendly and he turned into them" but that isnt the case. I understand that as soon as i send my torps, if i hit a friendly, then thats on me, im fine with that. My issue is that i fired torpedos in the opposite direction of a friendly and then watched him turn and chase the torpedos, even crashing into an island just so that i would get team damage. I'm now pink name because of this and am worried that if this was to happen once or twice more im going to get banned because someone likes the idea of chasing down green torps. I'm all for the team damage mechanic and the reflection of damage, But surely there is another way to deal with this, granted, i dont have any ideas as to what though. It'd be interesting to know what other people think/ have seen.

TL;DR - : Friendly purposefully chased my torps and im now pink name because of it.

Side note: I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, tbh i didnt really know where to post this.

[CATS]
Players
15,957 posts
11,194 battles

Here were go again...

Even the slowest ship torpedos are much faster than the fastest ship. NO ship in this game can chase and catch torpedos.

If your torpedos hit a friendly, he was before you.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles
50 minutes ago, TyskaViha said:

I understand that as soon as i send my torps, if i hit a friendly, then thats on me, im fine with that. 

As Pete said torps are faster than ships. If it was somehow possible for a friendly to get in front of them, on purpose or not, you shouldn't have fired. Sorry, but that's the extent of your responsibility and you said you're OK with that. I've slapped myself on the hand many times when thinking "I could torp that guy, I'm sure my friendly won't turn". In the end it's not worth the risk.

Don't worry though, it's fairly easy to clear pink and you won't get banned that fast. You might be forced to play co-op a dozen games if you do it again.

Beta Tester
290 posts
3,507 battles
2 minutes ago, VC381 said:

As Pete said torps are faster than ships. If it was somehow possible for a friendly to get in front of them, on purpose or not, you shouldn't have fired. Sorry, but that's the extent of your responsibility and you said you're OK with that. I've slapped myself on the hand many times when thinking "I could torp that guy, I'm sure my friendly won't turn". In the end it's not worth the risk.

Don't worry though, it's fairly easy to clear pink and you won't get banned that fast. You might be forced to play co-op a dozen games if you do it again.

22 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Here were go again...

Even the slowest ship torpedos are much faster than the fastest ship. NO ship in this game can chase and catch torpedos.

This is simply not true, there are torpedoea that go 35-45 knots, speeds which are achievable by some of the fastest destroyers.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,362 posts
11,276 battles
52 minutes ago, TyskaViha said:

My issue is that i fired torpedos in the opposite direction of a friendly and then watched him turn and chase the torpedos, even crashing into an island just so that i would get team damage.

Enable replays, record the situation you're describing and bring it here - otherwise, I'm afraid, nobody will believe you since the situation doesn't seem physically possible with currently available torpedoes and ships.

[AKI]
Players
78 posts
15,132 battles

You're not realy gonna get banned for this reason, only turning pink and perhaps be forced to play coop for a while.

Just avoid landing torps on friendlies for a while and everything will be fine.

Don't worry, everyone turns pink at least once here ^^

Also, spamming the minimap and telling them that torps are incomming might help your teammates not to hug those little buggers.

[CATS]
Players
15,957 posts
11,194 battles
7 minutes ago, PapVogele said:

This is simply not true, there are torpedoea that go 35-45 knots, speeds which are achievable by some of the fastest destroyers.

These are not ship torpedos...

Beta Tester
4,483 posts
9,790 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

These are not ship torpedos...

Also, the slowest torps are in bottom tiers, which do not face speed boosted t10 DDs.

[DC-DK]
Players
2,413 posts
24,467 battles
41 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Here were go again...

Think you're wrong

[POI--]
Players
4,316 posts
5,395 battles
  1. You are not getting banned for this. At worst you get damage reflected back at you and forced into coop.
  2. This is such a rare occurance, if you watch your torps, you shouldn't have this issue. I played like 2k games and while I have been pink, I cannot claim with any degree of certainty that any of these occurances was because others purposefully steered into my torp spread. So, don't worry about it happening again and just play like usual, carefully.
  3. If you really are too afraid, play something without torpedoes (or very short ranged ones that never see use). It's far harder to purposefully run into your salvo and catch those shells.

Beta Tester
2,037 posts
2,760 battles

If a friendly is in the line of fire don't launch torps.

It really is as simple as that. As the person who launched them it is your responcibility to make sure they don't hit a friendly.

Having been torped by friendlies on four seperate occasions this weekend (way above the usual, I might add) I am severely short on sympathy for you.

In fact, I do belive that's more team torping than I got in the preceding three months combined..

[SM0KE]
Players
2,635 posts
6,481 battles

This reminds me: I got killed by 'friendly' torps fired from ludicrously close range this weekend, which killed me in one go.

The bit that confused me was that the firing ship died almost instantly too, almost as if he was caught in the blast of his own torps, which I didn't think was possible (arming distance, and all that).

Although I don't have a replay, can anyone guess what might have happened? The guy was showing -2 kills at the end of the battle. My best guess is that I missed the first friendly kill (which would have turned him pink), and the damage from killing me all rebounded on him, killing him at the same moment as me; am I wildly incorrect?

Beta Tester
2,037 posts
2,760 battles
26 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

This reminds me: I got killed by 'friendly' torps fired from ludicrously close range this weekend, which killed me in one go.

The bit that confused me was that the firing ship died almost instantly too, almost as if he was caught in the blast of his own torps, which I didn't think was possible (arming distance, and all that).

Although I don't have a replay, can anyone guess what might have happened? The guy was showing -2 kills at the end of the battle. My best guess is that I missed the first friendly kill (which would have turned him pink), and the damage from killing me all rebounded on him, killing him at the same moment as me; am I wildly incorrect?

Sounds like that is exactly what happened, to be honest.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,635 posts
6,481 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Sounds like that is exactly what happened, to be honest.

Thanks!

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles
46 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

and the damage from killing me all rebounded on him, killing him at the same moment as me; am I wildly incorrect?

I saw an Asashio torp across a cap. He hit a friendly Tirpitz just hard enough to trigger pink+damage reflection but not sink him. The Tirpitz proceeded to let himself flood and watch the Asashio (who was spamming apologies almost to the point of grovelling) die from reflected damage before using DCP to save himself just in time. Priceless trolling! :Smile_great:

• Funny 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,635 posts
6,481 battles
1 hour ago, VC381 said:

I saw an Asashio torp across a cap. He hit a friendly Tirpitz just hard enough to trigger pink+damage reflection but not sink him. The Tirpitz proceeded to let himself flood and watch the Asashio (who was spamming apologies almost to the point of grovelling) die from reflected damage before using DCP to save himself just in time. Priceless trolling! :Smile_great:

I had that happen to me the other week, only with fire - I started a single fire on a BB that I accidentally clipped with one out of lots of HE rounds I fired. He didn't put the fire out (can't fault him for that), and I sank from reflected damage.

Entirely my own silly fault.

Beta Tester
3,944 posts
14,412 battles

I use every chance I get to teach people to not shoot torpedoes in the (possible) direction of an ally.

Like today...

Battle was nearly won already, only two enemy St. Louis' (the T3 one) and a single BB were left. The St.Louis's were going down near the map edge, far away from our cap - standard battle - with a BB and a cruiser of our team nearby.

Enemy BB was attacked in it's own cap by a DD from our side... So I set course to support our DD and get a bite out of that cap (and maybe the BB too) in my Vampire.

Shortly before I arrived at the cap, the BB went down. And when I entered the cap, our DD launched two full spreads of torps in my general direction. I slowed down, but only managed to get hit by one - which I couldn't have evaded if I had tried... I just failed at getting hit by more :cap_cool: - but I didn't get sunk by the damage, as it was only around 4k or so. Enough to turn the other DD pink immediately and - tadaa - to reflect all the flooding damage to him... :cap_haloween:

He started explaining and whining and begged me to repair... and when I asked him why he torped me in the first place, he explained that he misclicked (!!!) as he wanted to shoot his guns (!!!) at the island behind me. Okay... shooting guns by clicking on the icon? Naah, dude, you deserve to sink...

When I still declined to repair, he said "then I'll torp you again..." and tried to - except the still sinking enemy BB was between us (I had taken special care to have it as cover :cap_cool:) and his torps didn't do anything..

Shortly later he sank due to reflected damage... and I repaired. And the last enemy ship got sunk maybe 30 seconds or so later...

Feels good man! :cap_cool:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1