Proterozoikum

how should I handle enemy ships 2 tiers higher than me?

16 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts
1,179 battles

Ok, so I started this month and managed to unlock the Shiratsuyu and the Fusou. I enjoy both boats a lot but I have an issue with my battleship: The matchmaker. I ended up in a match which had a large number of tier 8 ships. I'm not the best shot, but managed to get a couple of hits on an enemy Bismarck. I did a total or roughly 10000 damage, the returned fire however took way over 20000 hp (I should mention that I was angled towards them). Most of my AP/HE shells shattered or bounced.

What exactly do you recommend doing in such a situation? In that particular battle, I flipped my boat around and tried to get away...

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,726 battles

Don't get too close to higher level ships. Especially Bismarck is known for her very strong secondary guns.

And don't try to fight them alone. Unless the enemy does some serious misplay, you don't have much chance against higher level ships.

A good fight distance for Fuso is 12 to 15 km. Use mostly AP and, very important: Aim for the super structure, not the armor belt.

About the last part: You did the right thing. Kiting away is very effective.

Shoot your salvo and turn away to minimize incoming damage. Wait for your enemy to shoot, then turn in to use all guns. Turn away again and repeat.

But don't kite away too far of course, you still need map control to get caps ^^

[POI--]
Players
4,310 posts
5,386 battles

With Fuso (or any lower level BB, but Fuso is especially good at it), if uptiered, you can also start playing your ship more in a support role. If the T7s or T8s are engaged in a fight with your T7s and T8s, help your BBs win that fight. Try to not stick too close to your BB, but go and try to get to their side. Most T8 BB will try bow tank the other T8, not the T6 and 12 14 inch shells in the side hurt (might delete the less armoured T7s and T8s even). If you get no good shot, you can also just focus on killing the minor boats. Because ships like Shchors or Chapayev (but pretty much all cruisers) are about as happy getting shot at by shotgun Fuso than if they were being shot at by sniper rifle Nagato or Amagi. 12 shells are a lot and only one has to hit in an unfortunate (for them) way to citadel them for massive damage.

The reason I say Fuso is especially good at this is because Fuso is faster than NM, has a ton of hp for its tier (worth more when you cannot expect your armour to hold up anymore) and got nice range. Even if you shouldn't stay back and snipe like a moron, actually having the option to maybe take a shot at an opportune target 18 km away and not having to waste the shot on whatever angled crap might just take scrap damage is kind of nice.

1,471 posts
10,081 battles
1 hour ago, xXx_Blogis_xXx said:

sorry but , fuso dont have problem facing t8 ships

savage XD

[CATS]
Players
15,845 posts
11,167 battles

In Fuso focus enemy cruiser. Bismarck is not your target unless there is nothing else to shoot at.

Getting that much damage while angled is rare. Kiting is indeed a good option.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,808 posts
6,919 battles
10 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Getting that much damage while angled is rare.

No it's not, at least not when you have your 25mm stern / bow vs a gun that is 358mm or larger caliber (like Bismarks 380s)

Players
8 posts
1,179 battles
19 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

17 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Great, thank you to both of you. I suppose that particular battle was an extreme example, but I'm only a few battles into playing the Fusou and that sortie puzzled me (especially as the Bismarck was Broadside on and I fired multiple salvos at her before switching to another target/running for my life).

13 hours ago, Azalgor said:

The same way you handle ships 2 tiers lower than you?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that tier 6 boats do not face tier 4 boats. If the matchmaker would allow that, it would be purely unfair (I explicitly have to think of the trouble I had playing the Myogi..)

[CATS]
Players
15,845 posts
11,167 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

No it's not, at least not when you have your 25mm stern / bow vs a gun that is 358mm or larger caliber (like Bismarks 380s)

It is still rare. My Fuso has tanked Nagatos, Colorados and Warspites. Yes, you can have bad luck, but not every time.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
4,310 posts
5,386 battles
Just now, Proterozoikum said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that tier 6 boats do not face tier 4 boats. If the matchmaker would allow that, it would be purely unfair (I explicitly have to think of the trouble I had playing the Myogi..)

Not anymore. I know the days when I played Myogi vs Fuso. The glorious times of being up against a ship that just has double the fire power and like 50% more hp. and armour that actually held up. Oh the fun.

Vs broadside Bismarck, take the shot. 10k on a Bismarck is good (against a ship that is hardly ever citadelled). Just don't expose your broadside and run as fast as your limited speed allows. Only if Bismarck angles, shoot something else. But really, it's likely the best shot you can get at Bismarck, except maybe broadside on a turn, with some exposed underbelly to bypass the turtleback to reach the citadel. But that's being awfully specific.

Players
5 posts
2,188 battles

Le 30/04/2018 à 21:20, Proterozoikum a dit :

(especially as the Bismarck was Broadside on and I fired multiple salvos at her before switching to another target/running for my life)

At which distance were you from the Bismarck when you fired? And which part of the Bismarck did you aim at?

Always remember that the more acute is the angle between the shells' terminal trajectory and the armor, the more your shells will bounce. If you fire at long range, your shells fall almost vertically. If they meet an almost vertical armor, the angle is acute and many shells bounce. When you fire APs at long range against a battleship, aim at superstructures. Many shells will penetrate their weak vertical armor. And some will also penetrate the decks' horizontal armor, which is way thinner than the vertical one.

Players
8 posts
1,179 battles
4 hours ago, Aquila2407 said:

I aimed at the waterline from roughly 15km away. If I remember correctly, I fired about 4 salvos of which something like 3 shot did damage (total of 10k and the rest either missed or bounced) at her before changing target due to a sneaky island. Then I changed target to the cruisers which followed the Bismarck (and of course I didn't hit them at all).

[H_FAN]
Players
2,002 posts
24,078 battles
On 2018-04-30 at 9:20 PM, Proterozoikum said:

Great, thank you to both of you. I suppose that particular battle was an extreme example, but I'm only a few battles into playing the Fusou and that sortie puzzled me (especially as the Bismarck was Broadside on and I fired multiple salvos at her before switching to another target/running for my life).

If you or other player with a T4 ship like Myogi division up with a T5 ship you might end up in a T7 battle. That is nice!! Myogi vs Nagato. But as long as you never do a fail division you will not face that problem, but when you are at T7 in the correct manner you can punish those players that division up wrongly. 

Players
5 posts
2,188 battles
Il y a 17 heures, Proterozoikum a dit :

I aimed at the waterline from roughly 15km away. If I remember correctly, I fired about 4 salvos of which something like 3 shot did damage (total of 10k and the rest either missed or bounced) at her before changing target due to a sneaky island. Then I changed target to the cruisers which followed the Bismarck (and of course I didn't hit them at all).

IMHO, if you had aimed a little bit higher, vertical dispersion would have spread shells between the lower superstructure and the armored bridge. Therefore, there would have been less bouncings and more penetrations. The waterline is a good target if the battleship you fire at shows its broadside, but only at short distance.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,704 posts
9,928 battles
On 4/30/2018 at 8:33 AM, xXx_Blogis_xXx said:

sorry but , fuso dont have problem facing t8 ships

Bit of a sweeping statement that isn't entirely true.

Fusou is a great ship, but it were forced to fight it out with any tier VIII BB it has a couple severe disadvantages, first and foremost the enemy BBs ability to overmatch Fusou armour and Fusou's inability to overmatch theirs. If the enemy BB player has any idea of what he's doing and can aim, the Fusou would be fighting an uphill battle in a slugging match. Add to that the fact that tier VIII BBs have a good chunk more HP and you see where that is going if we'd consider both players roughly equal.

Fusou can still do good damage switching to HE, but unless it gets lucky with fire RNG, the raw AP damage from overmatching her bow/aft armour should trade equally and with less HP (plus fire damage being 100% repairable) the Fusou would lose the fight.

The trick to facing ships higher tiered ship, or any ship having an advantage in a fair fight over you is to not fight on their terms. Either refuse to engage them if you can get away with stealth, pick away at them in between their reloads so you can stealth up again before they can fire (useful against BBs since their ~30 seconds reload takes longer than the 20 seconds concealment when firing debuff), get closer to teammates that can add their firepower or ambush them from a position where you can deal a massive alpha strike to either outright kill them or get them on low enough HP to win a HP trade.

• Cool 1