Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ArsenicIndigo

No more cruisers

38 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
23 posts
7,607 battles

Having played a few dozen matches in the current ranked season, it occurred to me that there are many matches with no cruisers at all. You end up with 4/5 DDs and 2/3 BBs. I have not only noticed this in ranked but also, to a lesser extent, in randoms. People just don't play cruisers anymore as much as they used to. And to be fair, in ranked, there really isn't much to do for a cruiser. You shoot one of the many DDs and you get blown to kindom come by BBs or get targetted by 20 or so torpedoes from all directions.

IMO it shows that cruisers are no longer the "jack of all trades, master of none", but that they are the jack of no trade and obviously still the masters of none.

Don't get me wrong, I still play mostly cruisers and I like playing them and I enjoy it, but it seems to me that compared to the other classes, cruisers are somewhat lacking in uniqueness/usefulness. There's nothing unique a cruiser can add (with the exception of radar, but even that's not completely true). So Cruisers like Moskva, Minotaur, Des Moines are often confined (or confine themselves for survival reasons) to hide behind islands and camp.

It would be interesting to see a chart of ship types over the past couple of weeks, maybe I've just been unlucky to be MM'ed with few/no cruisers.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

Same conclusion here. Not seeing cruisers, just BB's, DD's and the odd completely incompetent CV.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,160 posts

I've had several ranked games with 4 BB a side, in that situation being a single cruiser just means you're dogmeat since they will focus you (hell why not get an easy kill?) and you're screwed. Ranked is worse than randoms with BB overpopulation as proportionately they are 3 or 4 7ths of the team.

I won't play any cruisers in the T8 section and will look at the T10 games and then decide. More than likely I'll just play DD.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,160 posts
7 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

:fish_nerv::Smile_amazed:

 

I'm almost there, don't despair yet.

 

Having seen you play and you've posted in the past you play stock ships with no point captains erm, you sure about that post? You will have a very nasty shock as a newbie in tier 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles

I saw some matches with no cruisers, but typically there are a few. I think, one reason there are more BBs than cruisers might be not just that BB can kill cruisers, but also that there are more BB mains out there, than there are cruiser mains, so more people who take out their T8 BB than their T8 CA, which they might not even have. Like, personally, the only T8 cruiser I have researched and could purchase to play is the Chapa, which then would be stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,396 posts
5,436 battles

Someone did post a chart with class distributions for different tiers a whie back, and if I recall correctly tier 7-8 are the tiers where the MM consist of nearly 50% BB's from time to time. So having that many BB's in tier 8 ranked is only "natural" if you get what I mean.

 

That being said cruisers in general still have their place and still perform well on nearly every tier (tier 10 being the tier where classes are fairly evenly split). The problem is that in ranked tier 8 BB's are the easiest ships to carry with since you have the survivability, firepower and speed to be effective. Tier 10 ranked will be more balanced since tier 10 cruisers can still hold their own very well, and in for example tier 7 ranked cruisers where the most common class.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ADRIA]
Players
4,817 posts
6,919 battles
26 minutes ago, ArsenicIndigo said:

there are many matches with no cruisers at all

Currently, at least in the 15/11 group, We have the highest crusier population I can remember seeing in ranked... well, pretty much ever. And that is 0...2 cruisers per team per game

 

Probelm is simple - cruiser survivability vs BBs is far too low.

The second the BB pulls the trigger it doesn't even matter if that BB is good or not, did he aim properly or no. RNG decides what happens to the cruiser - did you miss all 10 shells at 8km or did you land 9 out of 10 at 25km?

 

8 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

tier 7-8 are the tiers where the MM consist of nearly 50% BB's from time to time

Lets gift everyone a free Bismark! What could go wrong? :Smile_trollface:

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
410 posts
47 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Lets gift everyone a free Bismark! What could go wrong? :Smile_trollface:

 

Be fair, it's not just that; they also gave away Tier V-VIII French Battleships while having an Operation of the "Week" where the only Battleships allowed were the French Tier VII and VIII and while having a limited time campaign where one task per mission could only be done with the Richelieu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
1,656 posts
6,503 battles
47 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

 

Having seen you play and you've posted in the past you play stock ships with no point captains erm, you sure about that post? You will have a very nasty shock as a newbie in tier 8.

Nah, ranked must be another kind of co-op, a fancy co-op. :Smile_izmena:.

 

seriously now.

probably

 people have chosen bbs , don't have faith in cruisers and went for dds. It's an arms race (radar and stuff).

And past t6 I'm having trouble to see the appeal of cruisers, too. I am in the process of streamline my cruisers line. I already started my selection.

but with a couple of exceptions (literally 2, in t7 and in the future, t8) all I've got are cruisers.

So, yeah. I'm sure about that post.

Shock in t8, nah I already seeing what's going on, hard time most probably.

I'm putting a lot of faith in a cruiser that I'm chasing, let's see.

And maybe this (the topic issue) will give a push to the cruisers, I don't know.

either way I still think cruisers are the better class, so...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,557 posts
13,419 battles

Surprise, surprise. Yet so many still think cruisers are OP and BB's under perform. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
849 posts
6,739 battles
41 minutes ago, Johmie said:

 

Be fair, it's not just that; they also gave away Tier V-VIII French Battleships while having an Operation of the "Week" where the only Battleships allowed were the French Tier VII and VIII and while having a limited time campaign where one task per mission could only be done with the Richelieu. 

And Gascogne, remember. I did those one with her.

 

I've only played two ranked games so far (I value my time playing with real-life friends in division more), but I've been playing with Prinz Eugen. The addition of a repair party to her has made a massive difference.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
410 posts
5 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

And Gascogne, remember. I did those one with her.

 

Good point. I was thinking in terms of how the operation encouraged people to get at least to the Lyon and the task to get to the Richelieu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,372 posts
5,380 battles

Its no great surprise. T8+ BB's have now become the "jack of all trades" that cruisers used to be, only they have much bigger health and heals, so why would you play the lone Mogami or New Orleans anymore if you know you will be facing 3-4 BB's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CR-S]
Players
370 posts
19,025 battles
On 4/29/2018 at 4:27 PM, ArsenicIndigo said:

I still play mostly cruisers

...but i lose the excitement about it. The C.Martel for example needs time to burn and smash through a Bismarck. The Bismarck in return... well. It happens too often that the "lucky salvo" comes right at the beginning of the match, so it became very tiring. And different than the BB i have no heal.

 

Iowa´s citadel got lowered, the cruiser-citas are fine. They apparently also need no heal.

 

I started to grind the Kagero again, after letting it rot since the Jap DD split.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BS4]
Players
878 posts
5,485 battles
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

 

Probelm is simple - cruiser survivability vs BBs is far too low.

The second the BB pulls the trigger it doesn't even matter if that BB is good or not, did he aim properly or no. RNG decides what happens to the cruiser - did you miss all 10 shells at 8km or did you land 9 out of 10 at 25km?

this^...very true...

 

 

However I have ambushed quite a few BB 's in the Eddy, slamming those torps home from behind an island is starting to be quite satisfying at lower ranks..but  have a feeling that is going to change when I get a little higher no doubt.:Smile_sceptic:

I have noticed however the ships with radar are not mirrored on the other team so much, Its either 1 team has it or the other. Not both.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
2,599 posts
6,449 battles

Oddly, I was in a game yesterday (?) evening with no BBs; everyone was so surprised (and commenting to that effect) that nothing much really happened for the first half minute or so, whilst everyone worked out if their display was broke...

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OGHF]
Players
673 posts
11,780 battles
On 29/04/2018 at 3:27 PM, ArsenicIndigo said:

Having played a few dozen matches in the current ranked season, it occurred to me that there are many matches with no cruisers at all. You end up with 4/5 DDs and 2/3 BBs. I have not only noticed this in ranked but also, to a lesser extent, in randoms. People just don't play cruisers anymore as much as they used to. And to be fair, in ranked, there really isn't much to do for a cruiser. You shoot one of the many DDs and you get blown to kindom come by BBs or get targetted by 20 or so torpedoes from all directions.

IMO it shows that cruisers are no longer the "jack of all trades, master of none", but that they are the jack of no trade and obviously still the masters of none.

Don't get me wrong, I still play mostly cruisers and I like playing them and I enjoy it, but it seems to me that compared to the other classes, cruisers are somewhat lacking in uniqueness/usefulness. There's nothing unique a cruiser can add (with the exception of radar, but even that's not completely true). So Cruisers like Moskva, Minotaur, Des Moines are often confined (or confine themselves for survival reasons) to hide behind islands and camp.

It would be interesting to see a chart of ship types over the past couple of weeks, maybe I've just been unlucky to be MM'ed with few/no cruisers.

That’s odd, every game I have played in this ranked season there has been a CA/CL in it, probably because I play mostly with the Edinburgh :cap_yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
471 posts
2,269 battles

Have had plenty of matches consisting of only BB's and cruisers in ranked this season, even with more cruisers than BB's. One match 1 BB on each side rest cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,944 posts
14,348 battles
On 29.4.2018 at 5:58 PM, Butterdoll said:

I'm putting a lot of faith in a cruiser that I'm chasing, let's see.

 

It's the player, not the ship.

And considering your stats with cruisers of any tier are below average of those of other player's cruiser one tier lower, I expect you to hit T8 ranked like a bomb (= exploding a lot...) :cap_haloween:


@threadstarter:

 

Potatoes gravitate to BBs mostly. Better skilled players often see playing cruisers as harder than playing DDs, so they flock to DDs instead. That leaves few players to play cruisers at T8 ranked...

If one is really good in a cruiser - which I ain't - one can do good with a cruiser in ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
808 posts
8,041 battles

People don’t play cruisers because they don’t like to play on the edge..I can’t speak for lower tier cruisers because plenty of people enjoy their tx cruiser..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
1,656 posts
6,503 battles
2 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

It's the player, not the ship.

And considering your stats with cruisers of any tier are below average of those of other player's cruiser one tier lower, I expect you to hit T8 ranked like a bomb (= exploding a lot..

So what?

That's not a reason to not play cruisers, at all.

to not play what gives you pleasure to play and choosing other ship instead.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,160 posts
1 hour ago, Butterdoll said:

So what?

That's not a reason to not play cruisers, at all.

to not play what gives you pleasure to play and choosing other ship instead.

 

It is however a reason for you NOT to play in Ranked, as I said your name stood out to me having seen you play.

In Ranked you either pull your weight or you doom your team to a loss, 7v7 isn't at all forgiving of mistakes (god knows I make enough) plus you've posted that you take stock ships (T8's at stock are utterly pathetic, Chapayev for instance has no Radar, you need the hull upgrade) and untrained Captains into Randoms. You would be facing people with fully upgraded ships and a lot of them with 19 point Captains.

Stock and lousy Captain skills (even ignoring player ability) is a total liability and completely unfair to your potential teammates, it's not easy to carry dead weight in Ranked 7v7 matches, if you have any Karma expect it to get obliterated if you don't go in prepared and capable of doing your task.

If you want to use the "I play just for fun" argument then do it in COOP, not Ranked.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
1,656 posts
6,503 battles
2 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

 

It is however a reason for you NOT to play in Ranked, as I said your name stood out to me having seen you play.

In Ranked you either pull your weight or you doom your team to a loss, 7v7 isn't at all forgiving of mistakes (god knows I make enough) plus you've posted that you take stock ships (T8's at stock are utterly pathetic, Chapayev for instance has no Radar, you need the hull upgrade) and untrained Captains into Randoms. You would be facing people with fully upgraded ships and a lot of them with 19 point Captains.

Stock and lousy Captain skills (even ignoring player ability) is a total liability and completely unfair to your potential teammates, it's not easy to carry dead weight in Ranked 7v7 matches, if you have any Karma expect it to get obliterated if you don't go in prepared and capable of doing your task.

If you want to use the "I play just for fun" argument then do it in COOP, not Ranked.

my last post I was referring to the topic itself.

If it's true that they are no cruisers in ranked or they starting to disappear from there, that it's pathetic.

Not only from you but often chapa (and other ships) can be summed up into a word... radar.

And by the way the things are going, people while in cruisers tend to go in those ships...that otherwise, perhaps, may not get played that often

According to this topic people are leaving cruisers and going to BBs and DDs. (don't worry I will not buy a bb or a dd).

 

That's not news.

not in co-op, not in Operations, not in random and from what I read often certainly not in ranked.

 

I'm finally reaching t8 (let's see what it have to my likings) in all my active cruisers lines, I will have them all at once. I'm almost there, it's not for this one for sure, maybe the next, or the next after that, I don't now yet.

 

I play for fun, that's a truth for co-op, random and Operations.

 

And let me tell you, from what I've seen so far I'm not that impressed with t8 players and up. The same goes for ranked players. (not all but a fair share).

 

So, tell me...

 what do I differ from all the rest?

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WCWVE]
Players
818 posts
12,453 battles

I have been playing cruisers in ranked as well as destroyers battleships and aircraft carriers this season

 

Mogami (set up as light cruiser due to the fact that this configuration gives potentially a greater DPM than the heavy cruiser version) Chapayev. Kuznetsov and Edinburgh (notice they are all set as light cruisers, heavy cruisers suffer from slow rates of fire, shot magnetism and slow turret traverse)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×