Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Amaterasu_Regale

Buyer's Remorse - Asashio edition **BUY HAREKAZE INSTEAD**

75 comments in this topic

Players
178 posts
1,974 battles

Since I just ran out my 25 bonus xp games on the ship, I felt it time to give an impression. I'm aware 25 games is not a very big sample size, but hey. Despite a 19-7 record on Asashio, I'll give my raw opinion: This ship is [edited]garbage. Most of my wins come from the fact that the enemy team in most of them was equally as incompetent as this ship is, blundering wildly into my torpedo spreads. Don't let the 20km torpedo range fool you, you will never hit anything at that range, and Asashio is severely limited by map features. Asashio's torpedoes can be dodged simply by pressing S, W, turning, or all of the above. It's really not hard to not die to this ship, even in the clumsiest of Battleships. A ship that can only kill bad players is equally bad. This ship's entire damage is funnelled into torpedoes. Torpedoes that can only hit Battleships and Carriers. Carriers rarely exist, and there's only 3 or 4 battleships, at best. 

Then we get to the guns. Dear god. The guns. The [edited]guns. 6 127mm guns with 7 second reload, and 26.1s turning time. At tier 8. It's not that Gunboats outgun you, no, other IJN Torpedoboats equal or outgun you, and unlike them, you can't hit them with your Torpedoes. You have the same guns as the Kagero. This means the Kagero has Torpedoes in a knifefight, and you have nothing but your woefully inadequate guns. Kagero can also Torpedo Cruisers and other Destroyers. If you meet a Pan-Asian or American Destroyer, you may as well just quit the game, you're dead. This thing can get into matches with the Z-52, Loyang, Yueyang, Khabarovsk  and Gearing. And like the Kagero, these "Gunboats" are equipped with better Torpedoes than my "Torpedoboat", while having guns so much better I may as well be using a slingshot against their nuclear missile. If you want a laugh, remember that the Ognevoi, the Tier 8 Soviet "Torpedoboat" equivalent, has a 5 second reload on 130mm guns. Granted it has two fewer guns, but still.

It's smoke is the standard IJN smoke. It has absolutely [edited]all in the way of Anti-Air, it has literally no redeeming qualities at all. It does only one thing, and it doesn't even do it particularly well. Just don't [edited]buy this thing, trust me. If you want a premium Tier 8 Destroyer, I'll not only suggest the Loyang, but the Harekaze also. [edited]this thing. Don't make the same mistake I did and buy a ship that you will only hate in 10 games. Your first few games in it will feel great, but you'll quickly realise it's trash. Your teams will thank you too.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 3

Alpha Tester
1,837 posts
5,321 battles
19 minutes ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

and there's only 3 or 4 battleships, at best. 

9d5.png

Contrary to your opinion, she's good at torping battleships, but yes, she is bad at almost everything else. This leads to even more "flanking" IJN DDs which is bad for the game (no scouting, capping/contesting). In addition, the fast, long-range and stealthy torpedoes mean that battleships can be struck from surprising angles which ultimately may result in even more passive behaviour (if that is even possible at this point). 

So yes, please don't buy the Asashio.

• Cool 1

Players
588 posts
4,771 battles

Congratulations on coming to this conclusion only after you gave WG 40€.

I wish it was obvious that every CC and player with a head on their shoulders thought that this ship was terribly situational and bad for the game. Maybe next time the community will---

Oh ... oh no ...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles

Yeah, can't be that a TORPEDOBOAT which is unable to hit enemy DDs and CAs (so between 50% and 100% of all enemy ships in every battle) will be garbage. Who would have expected?!

[OSC]
Players
2,735 posts
10,307 battles

thats now 2/3 topics to fullfill the prophecy?

and I don't even know what to say to you OP...

• Cool 5

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
329 posts
20,081 battles

She does currently have double the average damage of other DDs at tier 8. I don’t have her though so that is all I have to say on this subject for now.

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,048 posts
5,832 battles

I bought the ship in the knowledge that it may well be useless in a number of games.  Basically, I bought it for the LOLs.

I also have both the top tier non premium DDs (Akizuki and Shimakaze) and do have the Harekaze (which I do like) and a Kamikaze.

I have to admit that I've not gone far up the Pan-Asian DDs for the reason I prefer my DDs to be able to fight other DDs on a somewhat even playing field.  There is one exception in my dock though.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,358 posts
11,268 battles
3 hours ago, Shagulon said:

She does currently have double the average damage of other DDs at tier 8. I don’t have her though so that is all I have to say on this subject for now.

Well, other DDs at tier 8 fight enemy DDs and cruisers, try to flush out enemies from smokes etc. Asashio doesn't do any of these (because she can't), torping BBs is the ONLY thing she is really good at (and she IS good at that). Torping BBs is also the single activity that brings the greatest raw damage numbers. She's both the best damage-farmer torpboat in the game AND she's forced into that playstyle - OF COURSE she's going to outperform same-tier DDs in damage (by a huge margin, too).

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

I feel for you OP. I've met the "dreaded as*sahi**ole" in the auto mutilation game mode called Ranked battles in a BB. It was an entire joke. Hitting the WASD key once every 1 minute does the trick. This ship would IMO shine in the best map of this game: Ocean. But some utterly retarded brain @ Cyprus decided to make that map extremely rare. While IMO it's the best map in wows: the only one which actually forces to play naval tactics instead of playing Duke [edited]-em with a ship around you behind an island....

• Cool 1

[CU]
Players
312 posts
3,469 battles

Yeah, I was one of those that bought it for lols, seeing as most of my games were top heavy with BB's when levelling my cruisers, I thought why not. Yeah, it's frustrating to play as a DD but I refuse to become a flanker. Would I buy it again, hell no.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:06 AM, Phlogistoned said:

Just had one on my team in ranked. I was slightly 'apprehensive', but we actually won.

If you get one on the opposing team, just giggle, because you are more than likely going to win if it's the only DD.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,506 posts
15,369 battles
18 hours ago, cro_pwr said:

thats now 2/3 topics to fullfill the prophecy?

and I don't even know what to say to you OP...

Lets face it it was an easy prophecy to get...,ONLY 3 threads...... Get real Crow.....

@The_Dunk_Squad not only did almost every community contributor say this but  so did very many on the forum. Research before you spend you money. Would understand just buyinhg if she was a historical ship but.......

Ran in to 2 of them in ranked on one team.. 

1 BB on each side.. Needless to say there team was COMPLETELY OWNED

[UNICS]
Players
356 posts
5,055 battles

latest?cb=20160618185223

Asashio isn`t for inexperienced DD players. Feel free to refund it, but don`t call it a garbage ship.

Meanwhile i`d like to get back a few weeks ago when everyone cried about Asashio being brokenly overpowered.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,432 posts
9,427 battles
1 minute ago, Infiriel said:

latest?cb=20160618185223

Asashio isn`t for inexperienced DD players. Feel free to refund it, but don`t call it a garbage ship.

Meanwhile i`d like to get back a few weeks ago when everyone cried that Asashio will be brokenly overpowered.

Same with RPF. 

People here are like some Apocalypse-Cult, that is always waiting for the end. 

• Cool 1

[KRAKN]
Players
45 posts
10,141 battles
7 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Same with RPF.

rpf still has the ability to be the most broken thing ever. make it 1 point skill again and then come here and say otherwise 

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,358 posts
11,268 battles
On 4/30/2018 at 10:31 AM, Infiriel said:

Meanwhile i`d like to get back a few weeks ago when everyone cried about Asashio being brokenly overpowered.

You must've visited some other Forum these few weeks ago because here hardly anyone claimed that the ship is going to be brokenly overpowered.

Broken - yes, but in the "EDIT up" sense of the word. Broken by design, salvageable through balancing in either direction, really. Her weaknesses were pointed out as reasons for that just as much as her strengths.

Edited by Kampa1987
Vulgarism

Beta Tester
2,432 posts
9,427 battles
1 hour ago, snake_sv said:

rpf still has the ability to be the most broken thing ever. make it 1 point skill again and then come here and say otherwise 

Would I like it to be a 1P ? Nope.

Would that be a huge problem for me ? Defenitely not.

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
3 hours ago, T0byJug said:

Lets face it it was an easy prophecy to get...,ONLY 3 threads...... Get real Crow.....

@The_Dunk_Squad not only did almost every community contributor say this but  so did very many on the forum. Research before you spend you money. Would understand just buyinhg if she was a historical ship but.......

Ran in to 2 of them in ranked on one team.. 

1 BB on each side.. Needless to say there team was COMPLETELY OWNED

34.46€ just for the history? Unless money is growing on trees for you, that'd be a very expensive port queen. Just because one likes a ship one doesn't fork over money for every crappy portrayal of it. And technically, it is a historical ship, just not as iconic as maybe the Hood, the Bismarck, the Aurora, the Warspite, the Mikasa or the Yamato. But it existed and it did things, as did others of its class (and it likely is going to represent the entirety of its class as the nameship).

2 hours ago, snake_sv said:

If everyone runs RPF, would I care too much? Not really. I get the notice that RPF picked me up even if I don't spend a point and I can just take something else instead. On some ships I don't even want it, because if I have it on an IJN torpedo boat, sure, it tells me when a DD is coming, but it also tells some cruiser or BB from where I'm lining up torps or it tells the enemy where to rush to spot me. Rather get PM or PT instead (whichever I did not take first time around).

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,911 posts
5,798 battles

What I like about the Asashio is that it has two spheres of influence - a 16/20km one for damaging BB, and a ~10km one for capping/spotting/fighting DD. The Kagero/Harekaze only have a 10km sphere of influence.

Now the Kagero/Harekaze are stronger in their 10km (as their torps work against anything), but they cant do multiple things the way the Asashio can.

Simply the Asashio can contest caps while torping border humping BB. The Kagero/Harekaze can only do one at a time.

However my issue is that most Asashio players dont do this. They either sail off merrily never going near a cap, or they try to stay 20km from the nearest enemy BB, because, you know, 15km stealth buffer zone is risky business

• Cool 2

Players
1,497 posts
3,883 battles
4 hours ago, Infiriel said:

Please, please link to these comments where people cried about her being 'overpowered'.

Asashio is total garbage and is nothing but toxic for the game and the community.

28 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

What I like about the Asashio is that it has two spheres of influence - a 16/20km one for damaging BB, and a ~10km one for capping/spotting/fighting DD. The Kagero/Harekaze only have a 10km sphere of influence.

Now the Kagero/Harekaze are stronger in their 10km (as their torps work against anything), but they cant do multiple things the way the Asashio can.

Simply the Asashio can contest caps while torping border humping BB. The Kagero/Harekaze can only do one at a time.

However my issue is that most Asashio players dont do this. They either sail off merrily never going near a cap, or they try to stay 20km from the nearest enemy BB, because, you know, 15km stealth buffer zone is risky business

Are you serious? How does she fight enemy dds? With her guns? The same guns as on Kagerou? The same guns that have basically the worst DPM for her tier? That are only good for self-defence while running or finishing off weak targets?

Yes you are right, she can cap and she can spot, but the moment that cap becomes contested you are better off getting the eff out of there. Especially if the enemy team has a Harekaze or Loyang.

And don't even get me started on whether there's a carrier in the game.

I've had the luck of only seeing one Asashio in ranked so far - on the enemy team. We had one battleship, three destroyers and three cruisers.

Take a guess which of either our BB or the enemy Asashio survived that battle.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this