You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Milan_G_

in smoke visibility

26 comments in this topic

[BVW]
Players
361 posts
10,873 battles

when seen in smoke, with hydroacoustic, it should be NOT SEEN  like real ship, but like some green spot, with hydroacoustic you dont see, you only indentify. so no real ship shoul d be seen.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,563 posts
8,253 battles

Meanwhile you can still "see" ships that you have no actual line of sight to as long as anyone in your team does.

Yeah, it's not about realism, it's about having a fun game with loose ties to real ship combat.

• Cool 2

[BVW]
Players
361 posts
10,873 battles

so hydroacoustic seen, must be not identical like other types of seen

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles

Let me guess, someone sat stock still in smoke, got hydroed, and got shot to sh*t?

Lesson learned, don't sit still in smoke, this game does really not need to make you invulnerable in it, no sirree:Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

Players
2,160 posts
7 minutes ago, Milan_G_ said:

lafeel

no no

its only about more realistic in game. thats all

Really? And the head of the Roman Catholic Church is a Buddhist!

It's a game, the realism is limited, if realistic all Radars and Hydros would be on 100% of the time + endless other elements that the game doesn't model.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,351 posts
11,263 battles
1 hour ago, Milan_G_ said:

when seen in smoke, with hydroacoustic, it should be NOT SEEN  like real ship, but like some green spot, with hydroacoustic you dont see, you only indentify. so no real ship shoul d be seen.

What you're asking for is more-or-less a complete overhaul of spotting mechanics. Currently there are three states a ship can be in (excluding a brief spotting delay):

1. Not spotted (invisible)

2. Spotted but outside target acquisition range (red outline on the minimap, no indication in 3D environment)

3. Spotted (ship marked on minimap and rendered in 3D environment, possible to target with your armament)

What you want is an addition of 4th state: position identified. Problem is - this is, in fact, exactly what is currently represented by #2 and #3.

- your Radar doesn't make it so that you can see the enemy ship, it discovers its position (bonus points in realism for the fact that it works through islands :Smile_teethhappy:)

- your Hydro, as you describe, does the same thing: you can't see the enemy from your ship, you know the location

- your allies, once again, don't make you magically able to see the enemy - they relay its position (magically doing this in real time, with perfect precision when it comes to position, heading and speed)

- your planes (floatplanes of ship squadrons).... well, I guess you get it by now

Basically, if you wanted to implement your idea, the game would need to change A LOT. It would turn into a pretty empty game, in fact, since the only ships actually rendered would be the ones you spot yourself. All the rest would be some strange "ghosts" marking position determined based on your Radar/Hydro or on reports from your planes/allies. It would look ugly - and functionally wouldn't really change anything because the point of naval gunnery is that you get information on your enemy's position, heading and speed and then you do some calculations that let you turn the guns the right way, set appropriate elevation and pull the trigger. So, basically, all that would change is that instead of shooting enemy ships, everyone would be shooting at "green spots" (well, probably more like red spots) while wandering why they even play a naval game that doesn't let you see ships.

You say it would be more realistic, but the reality is that it would feel more artificial instead - even if thechnically closer to reality, it would really be driving the "it's a game" point home all the more, unless you were to go all the way and make it all into a completely different game.

I guess Cold Waters would be more to your liking, it seems much closer to your ideal (and much more realistic in many aspects).

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
39 minutes ago, Milan_G_ said:

lafeel

no no

Game balance trumps realism any day.

Also I have played a naval game where things were just as you described there and I'll let you in on a little secret: it is not fun at ALL. 

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,579 battles

I'd like improved visual mechanics, but I think it's impossible in current engine, maybe later too. Mods would take advantage of target position and basically let you cheat compared to unmodded games. ...but I agree and would like smoke/hydro/radar/etc spotting and detection to be improved if it was possible.

Edit: It not balance or gameplay above realism in this case. Changed spotting mechanics could make the game better and it would probably be possible to balance it, but I think the cheat aspect is where it fails.

[NWP]
Players
1,881 posts
12,596 battles
5 hours ago, Milan_G_ said:

lafeel

no no

This game is no simulator. If you want realism you'll have to find another game.

[BVW]
Players
361 posts
10,873 battles
Před 3 hodinami 159Hunter řekl/a:

This game is no simulator. If you want realism you'll have to find another game.

no. this game is extrem nice.

its only an little,, but very meanigfull graphic upgrade. it like...ships are different design, and color. 

the same, when is about hydroacoustic, ---where you CANNT see a ship in reality-- the appearing in game should be some green flickering , instead normal ship vision. 

[NWP]
Players
1,881 posts
12,596 battles
23 minutes ago, Milan_G_ said:

When is about hydroacoustic, ---where you CANNT see a ship in reality-- the appearing in game should be some green flickering , instead normal ship vision. 

And as others pointed out. If YOU sit in smoke then you can't see other ships. So they should be visible as 'some green flickering'.

Ships not spotted by you: the same

Ships spotted by radar: the same

Ships spotted by your plane: the same

Is that what you want?

[BVW]
Players
361 posts
10,873 battles
On 4/29/2018 at 4:15 PM, 159Hunter said:

And as others pointed out. If YOU sit in smoke then you can't see other ships. So they should be visible as 'some green flickering'.

Ships not spotted by you: the same

Ships spotted by radar: the same

Ships spotted by your plane: the same

Is that what you want?

i put only one upgrade, not all that yours:)  ist not about real sim, its one little logic upgrade.

but actual good point. but in the future sure there will be upgrade, that visibility from smoke will be limited / only with consumables

[NWP]
Players
1,881 posts
12,596 battles
9 minutes ago, Milan_G_ said:

i put only one upgrade, not all that yours:)  ist not about real sim, its one little logic upgrade.

So you only pick the one that suits you? Then explain why only your proposal and none of the others?

[BVW]
Players
361 posts
10,873 battles
Před 1 minutou 159Hunter řekl/a:

So you only pick the one that suits you? Then explain why only your proposal and none of the others?

thats very simple:

like others mentionet here, this is not a REAL simulator. so here will be allways some compromise :)

[NWP]
Players
1,881 posts
12,596 battles
55 minutes ago, Milan_G_ said:

thats very simple:

like others mentionet here, this is not a REAL simulator. so here will be allways some compromise :)

I rate your trolling at 2/10 and refer to post #4.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,467 posts
On 29/04/2018 at 5:37 AM, lafeel said:

Game balance trumps realism any day.

Also I have played a naval game where things were just as you described there and I'll let you in on a little secret: it is not fun at ALL. 

What did you play? Sonalysts made some excellent and enjoyable naval simulators in the early days of 3D graphics, but maybe simulation just straight-up isn't your thing.

[BS4]
Players
880 posts
5,487 battles
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:53 AM, Milan_G_ said:

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:20 AM, Milan_G_ said:

so hydroacoustic seen, must be not identical like other types of seen

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:56 AM, Milan_G_ said:

lafeel

no no

When you fire from smoke your visibility blooms considerably for a set amount of time, if a DD is close enough that you haven't seen or detected he spots you for the rest of the enemy team which then focus you accordingly.....that's enough realism for me thank you very much.

I would like to leave the mechanics as they are....

Players
2,475 posts
14,599 battles
On 4/29/2018 at 4:53 AM, Milan_G_ said:

"hydro acoustic" is a game balancing tool.

"Hydro acoustic" portrayed in this game is fictitious. No identification with real world products is intended or should be inferred."

[BS4]
Players
880 posts
5,487 battles
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, Milan_G_ said:

.... the appearing in game should be some green flickering , instead normal ship vision. 

Do I Understand you correctly?....So instead of solid ship appearing you want some Green flickering image instead?

So we all just fire at the flickering green thing and get the same result as shooting at a solid image......:Smile_amazed:

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
2 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Do I Understand you correctly?....So instead of solid ship appearing you want some Green flickering image instead?

So we all just fire at the flickering green thing and get the same result as shooting at a solid image......:Smile_amazed:

No he wants the smoke screen to work like some magical force field that makes him utterly impossible to damage clearly.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,467 posts
9 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

May be thinking of something resembling a sonar display at the target's approximate location, though I'm not sure how you'd abstract that and insert it into the 3D environment itself. It wouldn't be a solid image so much as a general haze, like a tighter and more defined smoke cloud. However realistically sonar doesn't give you range without the opportunity to take multiple bearings etc. so it ought to look like more of a long ribbon extending out from your ship, like the torpedo launch arc. That'd be more than a bit of a mess over the GUI!

I'm reminded however of the sonar mechanic Sub Rebellion, another an aquatic shooter. In that game you got a wireframe of the environment, including enemies which were highlighted in a different colour. This would remain rendered as a fixed imprint for a few seconds while fading away. Perhaps OP would prefer sonar to work like this in that it would show an updated ship position with each ping along with a generic model that doesn't identify what ship it is.

Of course all of this is way out of scope for WOWS and the playerbase it has, enough of whom fail to understand fog of war to begin with.

[BVW]
Players
361 posts
10,873 battles
Před 20 hodinami SeaWolf7 řekl/a:

its only, a little technical upgrade.  in this game, few things are real, other not. in reality, like radar,  --- the signal is shor, every 5-10 seconds. som you cann localise only in this interval. 

1. ship in smoke you have to see only in this positions

2. some blured spot - not like normaly seen

(when you start hydroacoustic- you hear this beeeeb. this is monent when you see spot of the ship)