You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Rowboat_Cop

Asashio - Just want to address the elephant in the room.

182 comments in this topic

Players
314 posts
14,104 battles

Hi all.

This is in no way meant to be salty or whiny.

I just want to point out that for those who are considering purchasing this destroyer.

It will only be able to hit Battleships with its torpedoes. (Oh, and carriers as someone pointed out)

The torpedoes can not hit Cruisers or Destroyers.

Now, one of my favorite destroyers is the YueYang, so I am well aware of how deep water torpedoes works.

So when I had skimmed the wiki (sadly missing the part about these torpedoes not being normal deep water torpedoes) I thought this could be a really nice ship.

Possibly a bit OP even.

Imagine my surprise when I find out in the middle of a match that I can not even torpedo cruisers..

So, have I learnt my lesson?

Possibly, if the lesson is to get rid of my partial dyslexia then no, that is not possible.

What I feel is that a thing like the difference in these deep water torpedoes is so drastic that it should be pointed out in big text on the actual shop page.

It should not just be hidden in the fine print in a wiki-page.

Because no where on the actual shop-page (https://eu.wargaming.net/shop/wows/main/8802/) does it say that these are not normal deep water torpedoes.

No where on the page does it say that these torpedoes only hits battleships.

If I had seen that part of information then I would have given it a second and a third thought before deciding wether or not to purchase this ship.

Keep in mind that I did read most of the wiki before purchasing this ship.

But with the vast amount of text on the wiki page, a lot of players skim the text to find the interesting parts.

Me, I have to skim it else I will not be able to read through it.

I will not ask for a refund.

Worst case I might sell it in game.

I just really think that a detail like that has to be clearly written and explained to the customer before he or she buys it ignorantly. 

So I guess this is feedback to WG.

• Cool 2

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,722 posts
7,563 battles
34 minutes ago, Rowboat_Cop said:

Hi all.

This is in no way meant to be salty or whiny.

I just want to point out that for those who are considering purchasing this destroyer.

It will only be able to hit Battleships with its torpedoes.

Now, one of my favorite destroyers is the YueYang, so I am well aware of how deep water torpedoes works.

So when I had skimmed the wiki (sadly missing the part about these torpedoes not being normal deep water torpedoes) I thought this could be a really nice ship.

Possibly a bit OP even.

Imagine my surprise when I find out in the middle of a match that I can not even torpedo cruisers..

So, have I learnt my lesson?

Possibly, if the lesson is to get rid of my partial dyslexia then no, that is not possible.

What I feel is that a thing like the difference in these deep water torpedoes is so drastic that it should be pointed out in big text on the actual shop page.

It should not just be hidden in the fine print in a wiki-page.

Because no where on the actual shop-page (https://eu.wargaming.net/shop/wows/main/8802/) does it say that these are not normal deep water torpedoes.

If I had seen that part of information then I would have given it a second and a third thought before deciding wether or not to purchase this ship.

But with the vast amount of text on the wiki page, a lot of players skim the text to find the interesting parts.

I will not ask for a refund.

Worst case I might sell it in game.

I just really think that a detail like that has to be clearly written and explained to the customer before he or she buys it ignorantly. 

So I guess this is feedback to WG.

You really did manage not to read about the tub on this forum?

As it is the BB - CV only torps fired 16 at a time across 20km of the map are good.

Players
314 posts
14,104 battles

Yea, I really think it should not be required to look through a whole forum or read a whole wiki to find that part out.

/me

• Cool 1

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
219 posts
2,968 battles

I agree with OP. Happened to me in ranked. I was like "WTF?"

And...how will cruiser captains know the difference?

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
2 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

There's one. 

Came looking for this comment :)

• Funny 4

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,044 posts
5,819 battles

Personally, I knew about the different type of DWT without reading anything.  I just watched a few YouTuber's channels where the limitation was explained - along with how broken this DD could be.

I've bought one but have yet to play it.  I've had a number of months break from the game and am easing myself back into the action.

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,044 posts
5,819 battles
5 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

Is there any difference between the trails of a standard torpedo and the Pan Asian DWTs?

Maybe the only difference is that the torps pass under a ship rather than explode?

[NWP]
Players
846 posts
6,731 battles
30 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

Is there any difference between the trails of a standard torpedo and the Pan Asian DWTs?

Maybe the only difference is that the torps pass under a ship rather than explode?

The torpedo indicators are different. Either bisected trangles (close up) or dots (from far away). The only way you're going to know as a cruiser is if you see it launch.

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
4,310 posts
5,386 battles
1 hour ago, Rowboat_Cop said:

39 minutes ago, Rowboat_Cop said:

Yea, I really think it should not be required to look through a whole forum or read a whole wiki to find that part out.

/me

Nowhere on the shop page does it say anything except fluff, what else is in the bundle and how much you pay. also a few nice images. There is however a link to the wiki, which states it can only hit BB and CV and on there is a link to a review by LWM, for even more detail. So, I don't know what you expected when buying the ship? And if you don't feel like reading the material provided, should you really complain about whatever you get? It wasn't wrongly advertised in the shop, just no amount of information is sufficient for those who think they should be able to know how things work without reading the info provided. That just is not how it works in life.

Well, I would say, the torps would certainly have been the most interesting part of the info on the ship. And it's the first sentence in the third paragraph. Given most texts are structured around the idea of every paragraph touching on one aspect or piece of information, one shouldn't skip whole paragraphs, but just read it until one has an idea what a paragraph is about, then skip if one thinks that the rest is not of great importance.

Skimming the text, you might also note that it is in the last sentence of the second paragraph, boldened, so people who cannot be bothered to read carefully don't miss it. Heck, there even is a short pro and contra list, which mentions the limited target selection.

• Cool 1

Players
314 posts
14,104 battles
11 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Nowhere on the shop page does it say anything except fluff, what else is in the bundle and how much you pay. also a few nice images. There is however a link to the wiki, which states it can only hit BB and CV and on there is a link to a review by LWM, for even more detail. So, I don't know what you expected when buying the ship? And if you don't feel like reading the material provided, should you really complain about whatever you get? It wasn't wrongly advertised in the shop, just no amount of information is sufficient for those who think they should be able to know how things work without reading the info provided. That just is not how it works in life.

Well, I would say, the torps would certainly have been the most interesting part of the info on the ship. And it's the first sentence in the third paragraph. Given most texts are structured around the idea of every paragraph touching on one aspect or piece of information, one shouldn't skip whole paragraphs, but just read it until one has an idea what a paragraph is about, then skip if one thinks that the rest is not of great importance.

Skimming the text, you might also note that it is in the last sentence of the second paragraph, boldened, so people who cannot be bothered to read carefully don't miss it. Heck, there even is a short pro and contra list, which mentions the limited target selection.

Yepp you are right.

Still, I admit that I missed it and I will be far from the last one to miss it, which is why I mentioned it.

/Me

[ONE2]
Players
2,514 posts
14,976 battles

Not necessary to go through all of it either. There has been like half-dozen threads in the forum about the Asashio and all its flaws daily for the last month. Ad Nauseam. If you had visited forum, it would be nigh impossible to miss them and not even necessary to read the entire thread even the title part would have been sufficient for most and this would have become abundantly clear.:cap_book:

Sorry for you loss, but then again. Ce est la Vie. :Smile_bajan2:

For future reference, forum really IS the best place to check these things out. Not the wiki, definitely not any WG promo publications or notes, because the drawbacks will not be discussed there, only here.:Smile_Default:

@dCK_Ad_Hominem here's your first thread then... I think, I'll raise you to 4 tho.:Smile_teethhappy:

Players
314 posts
14,104 battles
4 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Not necessary to go through all of it either. There has been like half-dozen threads in the forum about the Asashio and all its flaws daily for the last month. Ad Nauseam. If you had visited forum, it would be nigh impossible to miss them and not even necessary to read the entire thread even the title part would have been sufficient for most and this would have become abundantly clear.:cap_book:

Sorry for you loss, but then again. Ce est la Vie. :Smile_bajan2:

For future reference, forum really IS the best place to check these things out. Not the wiki, definitely not any WG promo publications or notes, because the drawbacks will not be discussed there, only here.:Smile_Default:

Yea, no, it is not a loss.

Like I said,  I am not selling it, nor am I displeased about the ship itself.

Pretty sure I can perform decently with it.

My fault was this:

I was under the impression that deep water torpedoes was a standard type of torpedoes and thus did not give it a second though and therefore did not try to look for additional limitations within them.

I know the forums is where you get a lot of info.

It is exceedingly annoying when everyone and their grandma has their own input in a thread , resulting in 97 posts on the matter.

The title in the other thread mentioned here stated that it was the timing of the launch of the ship that was the subject, not its different torpedoes.

I just seriously hate reading long texts, as I wrote, I have a partial dyslexia (I read sentences as whole and not word by word)

And no one is to blame for my condition.

I guess I am pointing with my whole hand at WG for not being very informative.

At the same time I guess I also want to give all the new uninformed players a voice by expressing this.

I can only imagine how many new players that wants a cool tier 8 ship only to fail from the get go as they lacked some information upon the purchase.

Mest Regards

Me

• Cool 3

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
42 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

The torpedo indicators are different. Either bisected trangles (close up) or dots (from far away). The only way you're going to know as a cruiser is if you see it launch.

Are you sure? What about the alarm sound? Shouldn't you only get it when the torpedoes can actually hit you?

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,345 posts
11,248 battles
2 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

Deep water torps that can hit you have a small triangle with a dash over it as a marker.

Deep water torps you are safe from have a dot as a marker.

DDs and BBs will not be able to distinguish these torps from other DWTs (the former because all are dots for them, the latter - because all are triangles) but cruisers will clearly see the difference when the torps are spotted.

• Cool 3

Players
961 posts
4,957 battles
1 hour ago, Tungstonid said:

Are you sure? What about the alarm sound? Shouldn't you only get it when the torpedoes can actually hit you?

Nope. Dw torps will also cause a warning for dds (unfortunately). Have taken a few torps this way because of brain faritng and not realizing it were regular torps coming my way. This is something that should be fixed Imo.

@RAHJAILARI it seems like you're all in then ;). 

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,514 posts
14,976 battles
6 hours ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

it seems like you're all in then ;).

Juust waiting for the next bet... Winner gets a keg of beers right-o??:Smile_great:

Players
961 posts
4,957 battles
53 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Juust waiting for the next bet... Winner gets a keg of beers right-o??:Smile_great:

Well, depends on where you're from and what you consider beer ;).

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Using a mod which I can see every ship, being available or not, so I'm not sure in the "vanilla modus." But IIRC: in the vanilla you can see ships which you don't have but are available. There you can pop up combat specifics and there's clearly pointed out the torps can only hit CV's or BB's.

Parallel on topic: WG could you please kill the torpedo alert when playing a specific torpedo invulnerable ship? I had about 3 near heart attacks today playing a DD....

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,722 posts
7,563 battles
12 hours ago, Rowboat_Cop said:

/me

11 hours ago, Rowboat_Cop said:

Yepp you are right.

Still, I admit that I missed it and I will be far from the last one to miss it, which is why I mentioned it.

/Me

OK...

[ADRIA]
Players
4,814 posts
6,919 battles
14 hours ago, Rowboat_Cop said:

Clanmate posted this in Discord yesterday:

5XY4c94.png

I'm sure that Asashio was extremely useful :Smile_trollface:

13 hours ago, Lord0 said:

13 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

Normal torps that can hit you have the triangle symbol

DWTs that can hit you have a triangle with a line above it

• Both of those trigger the torpedo alarm

DWTs that can not hit you have a dot as an indicator

• They should not trigger the alarm, but it's bugged so sometimes they do anyway

LviRmNk.png

So to answer both questions

1. By the dot and possibly no alarm
  2. Yes (well, not the trails behind them, but the indicators above them)

13 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Range has nothing to do with it. The torpedo might be 500m from you or 20km from you - you'll see the same indicator

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester, Players
473 posts
4,917 battles
49 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

5XY4c94.png

I'm sure that Asashio was extremely useful :Smile_trollface:

Could always spot and cap i guess XD

• Cool 2

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
3 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

5XY4c94.png

Ignore. Just seen this is just the overview.

• Cool 1