You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
snake_sv

Rank season 9 Discussion

81 comments in this topic

Players
4,355 posts
7,593 battles
1 hour ago, creamgravy said:

Seems like a bunch of Zao, Hindy, Martel and BB sitting at max range with 1 DD and/or DM around the caps.

So aim to win 50% of battles and farm enough dmg/xp to hold on to the star in the other 50%, the long range cruisers are good for that strategy, the BB presumably are just too stupid to work it out (or it's the only T10 they have).

Actually this may be another problem with T10 for ranked, while 99% of higher ranked players might have a T10 ship, how many of them have got the right one for ranked?  If the whole season is going to be players using whatever T10 ship they have then that might be a problem.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,481 posts
24,747 battles
1 hour ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I know that I have nothing to lose except time... but that is just it... the "rewards" from Rank #10 below to Rank #1 are not that special at all... and that is the main problem... :Smile_sad:

I earned 5 of each "Special Signal Flags" via the "Public Test Server" with just 5-6-7 games in shortened Ranked system there - it would take me dozens and dozens of games in "real" Ranked 9 season for same feat... I simply see no good reason why to invest the time into it...

Well I collected over 1k of all sorts of camos and have nice stash of flags so I don't care much for them. But those special upgrades modules, especially the radar one for Rank 3, could get handy. If I get there that would be fine, if not ... well I won't be disappointed.

[BS4]
Players
1,165 posts
6,591 battles

The worst start of ranked ever for me. Reached rank 9 last season (as wasnt a huge fan of ranked to start with) and ran out of time as started late but did well and had lots of enthusiasm for this season to improve further.....

WG in there wisdom Started me at rank 16 this season?!!!!.......

5iJHwnk.gif

...thanks for that...

..(understand the star system thanks to @wilkatis_LV) but it still feels like the above....

...and I seem to be lumbered with the same tired up too fast tier 8 lot that were running around in random battles that are now running around in their first ranked season without a clue how to win a battle....

11 games played 2 win's 18-22% win rate.

Just Unlucky? Maybe.... but If it continues there's no point. Which is a shame as wanted to do well this season and have been waiting with anticipation. Gutted.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,008 posts
10,372 battles
1 hour ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Stupid OP hindenburgs that should've hand their HE pen nerfed to normal levels long ago (just my opinion).

This.

I don't know how they let things go that way, but between general buffs to German cruisers (stupid move to fix the Yorck and Hipper), buffs to fix the Hipper and Roon, general buffs to cruisers (fires burning for a shorter amount of time), the Hindenburger just snowballed out of control.

• Cool 1

Players
123 posts
3,950 battles
On 28/04/2018 at 11:11 AM, snake_sv said:

Let me start with this. When i first saw the announcement for tier 10 the hype was real and i mean it:cap_rambo:

it took me a couple of hours to go rank 10 with a 65% something win rate at around 12 :00 o clock and then:cap_fainting:

12 hours later at 24:00 i was still rank 10 . i main dds for ranks and damn it. What i didn't see coming.

1. Battleships are nowhere to be found, max 2 per game if lucky

2. The amount of demoins. I know the ship is old but see 2 or 3 per team is really something

Now if we take these 2 factors and combine the z-52 and the pan asian tier 10 dds running around with radar you understand that playing dd is so much more difficult from all the other seasons.

My main problems during game play are the following. People want me to go cap asap witch i found impossible ,every time i tried to do that even with my z-52 the results was the same. Either get pined behind an island for all eternity (the same goes for the opposing dds) counter hydroed and radared for ever or if no cover die in the first minute taking someone with you if lucky. Working or not the problem is that its not fun at all.Maybe for the cruisers teammates  but not for me.

Then i tried to stay a little bit behind and wait for the caps until some radars are used, having to deal with all the hate in the chat ,but the results were even worst, because of  the amount of randomness people are using their radars. so many times i rushed caps and asked for radar and none was ready because it was used already and many times more than one at the same cd.

Anyway what happened later . i saw that retraining captains is free for the time so i retrained even my grozovoi for gunboating so i can spam  games but that was even worst mistake , a mistake i know i should never done in rank . to sum it up i played a couple of games with my zao and no matter win or loose i had fun. it was nice for a change to not even give a damn about spot or caps or get one shoted radars and all that crap, mind you there are not many bbs around so i can deal with cruiser play and actually enjoy it. so until more bbs are to be found or until i get over the first day of tests and bla bla ill take it that there is not even a single person in this game that is not better than me, even in the way they hold the mouse to the position of the keyboard in the desk, relax disable the chat and start doing what i feel i need to do .yea the chat is getting me cause i tend to not ignore it .  

This is why I would prefer T6-T8 for ranked. All the classes get near equal opportunities to shine in the right hands.

• Cool 2

[OCTO]
Players
1,137 posts
23,011 battles

Well, I had a quite strange journey so far...

Started on Rank 15 (irrevocable, thank goodness!) and had a straight 8 defeats while playing Kidd, Lo Yang, Harekaze etc.... And I am fairly decent DD player. Teams were such that my Karma took a nosedive... Decided to play one more day and to quit if the same result.

Just for fun, I took fully secondaries specd Bismarck (don't play BBs much - I found them a bit slow...) and.... 13 or so games later (one defeat!) while playing damn BB I got to Rank 10!

One thing that I noticed, I committed to play aggressively in Bismarck, asked for support upfront and the teams just followed. It worked very well. While I was playing DDs (usually my stronger ships), BBs would camp and do close to nothing. I think that teams  need a catalyst to function. Maybe because I am not your typical BB player, it worked, maybe it was just luck - I do not know.

Anyhow, now at T X - what are your thoughts on opinion on less played ships:

Khaba? Viable or not - based on CW - not, but your experience?

Henry IV ? 

Moskva? 

Thanks and have fun - I nearly quit as I didn't - so let my short tale shine your way to R 1 :cap_cool:

• Cool 2

[HEATH]
Players
19 posts
8,758 battles

Not enjoyed this season - not so much because of MM or even ship buffs / nerfs - more that some teams are just so rubbish. I can take poor aiming skills if people are trying but am fed up with the number players that don't know their own job or won't go along with the team plan. 

I have played Z23 and Tirp ( rank 15) this season and see other DD's not willing to attempt caps, hiding in own smoke and not spotting. I see Bismarcks and Tirpitzs camping / trying to snipe at 18k - with the dispersion on German shells good luck.  Players don't seem to want to win - they want to manage their own figures for damage. 

Was in a game yesterday - we had one surviving low hp DD v a med hp Bismarck 12k away - all the caps, ahead on points  and ticking down the last minute. All he needs to do is  run away from the Bismarck.

What does he do - turns to engage - fires guns at about 9k and gets raped by the Bismarcks secondaries and we lose.

A game today - heavy BB lineup both sides - we outnumber in brawlers - lets rush A and use secondaries is agreed - 2 BB's wonder off and start trying to snipe leaving the other 2 stuck - either turn and come back, press on against 2v1 odds or back out slowly and be a sitting duck.

If you don't like the plan - fine - but speak up - say - actually - lets camp and snipe - not just let 1/2 your team go in thinking they have backup and not be there.

[UNICS]
Players
4,192 posts
15,615 battles

Seeing Graf Zeppelin in the teams.. either one is crap. Click on ships to become topscorer.? they'll decide the games regardless of how bad they are.

Players
746 posts
14,336 battles
6 hours ago, Capra76 said:

So aim to win 50% of battles and farm enough dmg/xp to hold on to the star in the other 50%, the long range cruisers are good for that strategy, the BB presumably are just too stupid to work it out (or it's the only T10 they have).

Actually this may be another problem with T10 for ranked, while 99% of higher ranked players might have a T10 ship, how many of them have got the right one for ranked?  If the whole season is going to be players using whatever T10 ship they have then that might be a problem.

real problem is not that players have only 1 TX....its that retarded R10 irrevocable....monkeys cant go back in Zoo, outcome is 3days RBs and First League is unplayable...GG^^WG

6 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

The worst start of ranked ever for me. Reached rank 9 last season (as wasnt a huge fan of ranked to start with) and ran out of time as started late but did well and had lots of enthusiasm for this season to improve further.....

WG in there wisdom Started me at rank 16 this season?!!!!.......

5iJHwnk.gif

...thanks for that...

..(understand the star system thanks to @wilkatis_LV) but it still feels like the above....

...and I seem to be lumbered with the same tired up too fast tier 8 lot that were running around in random battles that are now running around in their first ranked season without a clue how to win a battle....

11 games played 2 win's 18-22% win rate.

Just Unlucky? Maybe.... but If it continues there's no point. Which is a shame as wanted to do well this season and have been waiting with anticipation. Gutted.

with your logic m8 after i was R1 last season, which Rank should i start current season 1? ;)

[UNICS]
Players
4,192 posts
15,615 battles

Personal assignment: In one battle, join the top 2 in your team by experience received. Must be completed in a Ranked Battle. Completion Criteria: Tier VII ships. 29.04-29.04. Reward: A container.

:Smile_sceptic: I think I'll pass, but thanks anyway.

Players
2,730 posts
15,444 battles
7 hours ago, Zen71_sniper said:

Anyhow, now at T X - what are your thoughts on opinion on less played ships:

Khaba? Viable or not - based on CW - not, but your experience?

Henry IV ? 

Moskva? 

What ship would you pick to fight Hindenburg? (hint: another Hindenburg)

Khaba is an umitigated disaster as the HE spamming CAs does everything Khaba does but better and straight up counter it too.

DDs in general feel very useless.

Wish I had Moskva/Henry, but I do not.

Might try Monqueror next to fight stupid Hindenburgs Fire with Fire

Yamato is always nice, Monty too.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,173 posts
9,337 battles

I've reached to the rank 11 this season (dropped back to 12 but who's counting eh?)

I have only shima for tier X and.. this really makes me sad :)

I bought back my kagero just for the ranked... because BB captains are still BB captains :)

BTW, hipper after buffes, does very very nice.. but I don't have enough time to grind to hindi this season :)

If I get to the rank 10.. I would take it as a victory.. it is my second ranked season anyway :P

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,219 battles
11 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Seeing Graf Zeppelin in the teams.. either one is crap. Click on ships to become topscorer.? they'll decide the games regardless of how bad they are.

I just laughed at graf zeppelins in my enterprise whilst he couldn't get a single strike in lol. The graf zeppelin is completely shut down unless it's up against a lexi 

[ANV]
Players
38 posts
17,611 battles

I found that the tier 8 games were pretty fun, some really good teamplay and individual players. The DD players seemed to be good, cruiser players excellent and BB players dreadful, BB play on the whole was bow tanking while going backwards irrespective to what was happening on the map. When you had a good player from a known clan who gave instructions, people did follow and over powered teamplay ROFLstomped the enemy. Shout out to HAMI in particular. Unlike other seasons I didn't see any afk and everyone had camo on. I couldnt do anything with chappy as it was citadeled from every angle, had some lolgames with secondary bismark but played mostly in LoYang. Highlight was players in their new shiny arsehatio trying to torp CL and DD. 

TierX has been pretty awful, players much more toxic. I understand cagey play but everyone now seems to want just save their own skin. BB players now seem a little better, CL a little worse and DD pretty poor. I'm still playing DD and find myself unsupported alot. Campy players not supporting DD and then whining when their DD die "I always get the crap DD on my side, all report that tard"  every third game. Chugging away in Yueyang mostly. RNGesus 16k lol hits from BB not fun and even the seagulls have radar.

Players
1,014 posts
8,103 battles

So a cruiser meta, that is a first. And I don't really see how that is negative at all. I will be playing Gearing and provide spotting and smoke for my team and use the long range torps. Capping will be tough and mean you are pinned behind that one island where people still chip HP away from you because most islands don't provide complete cover. It's probably best to not cap right away.

Players
116 posts
21 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Rank10 and below are dominated by cruisers - Zao, DesMos and Moskva and especially Hindenburgs.

Should I freeXP the mosvka (have almost done the chapayev grind to Dimitri)?

If you don't mind being spotted the whole game -> try Moskva

If you want tactical options besides being an elephant with guns -> don't try Moskva

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,955 posts
7,324 battles

I'm not at rank 10 yet (12 and 2 stars) but I'll probably play more BBs than cruiser. Mostly because anyone can take a Hindenburg and spam HE, while a good BB player is more a rarity.

I know good players (from [RAIN] mostly) that find it easier to carry matches when playing a BB. That or a DM/Minotaur.

I won't recommend Moskva, it's way too vulnerable to focused fire and is spotted from the Moon and maybe from Mars. Both Zao and Henri lacks the ability to influence matches properly too.

So on my end it'll be Montana/République, and possibly Yamato.

Players
2,710 posts
16,964 battles
10 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

What ship would you pick to fight Hindenburg? (hint: another Hindenburg)

Khaba is an umitigated disaster as the HE spamming CAs does everything Khaba does but better and straight up counter it too.

DDs in general feel very useless.

Wish I had Moskva/Henry, but I do not.

Might try Monqueror next to fight stupid Hindenburgs Fire with Fire

Yamato is always nice, Monty too.

Z-52 is easy mode.

Players
2,730 posts
15,444 battles
59 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Z-52 is easy mode.

That depends a lot on the amounts of radar on the enemy team.

Not to mention you tend to eat 10k BB ap the moment anyone spots you before you can get into position and hydro.

I can survive i Z52 but keeping my star? No way.

Players
238 posts
16,373 battles

hmm... I am also at 44 games, but only managed to get to 13 (from 15). The "wall" comes early for me

[UNICS]
Players
4,192 posts
15,615 battles

Reached rank 10 after switching from Benson to Hsienyang. Not sure if the ship performed better or just a coincidence, but it worked, even though all the Lo Yangs were annoying to face. I usually stop somewhere around here but tier 10 is interesting enough to give it a try.

[UNICS]
Alpha Tester
124 posts
8,022 battles

I mainly played Kidd and the grind to rank 10 (from 19) was not very painful. I usually 'team up' with 1 Benson or Loyang and try to kill some or all of their DDs early on. If we succeed, usually it would lead to a nice win for the team. I also played few games in Tirpitz and Atago to diversify the experience (yeah, call me a wallet warrior, but I just don't have any high skill commander trained for tier 8 silver ship atm...). It seems leading a push in BB can indeed help as the others would be more inclined to join the attack when they see their BB is not hanging back. One the other hand, playing Atago was not fun for me. I got focus fired whenever I was spotted, even more so than our DDs. Maybe because I was usually the only cruiser in my team so they all wanted to land some juicy citadel hits on me. Thus I had to hide most of the early games and only started to contribute more after enemy BBs started to sink. I've seen quite a few Edinburgh in my games and it seems radar Edinburgh are quite good for ranked (more so than with smoke). Among the 3 radar cruisers at Tier 8, New Orleans doesn't have the fire rate to deal with DDs alone, and Edinburgh's heal should not be underestimated when comparing to Chapayev. 

I played few match in Des Moine after reaching Rank 10. The matches feel (maybe not surprisingly) static. With many radars and long range sonars in game (Des Moines and Hindenburg seem to be popular choices), it would take some serious skills for DDs to perform. In some hilarious games on the 'North' map, both teams just parked close to the big island separating the map and exchanged shells. The team who then pushed first just got decimated and the game ended quickly after that. The game was still adequately intense as using covers effectively and making probing moves are not as easy as they may sound. However, it just feels strange in a way that it is more akin to WoT on water rather than WOWS.

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

I played in last Saturday and went from rank 18 to 12. Day after tomorrow my flight leaves to Asia (for 5 weeks) Not sure I have time to go 10.    But I might of switch to Hindenburg just by reading all these posts... I like that ship a lot.