10ThousandThings

Some BB questions

16 comments in this topic

Question

Players
466 posts
1,698 battles

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to WOWS and I'm trying to learn and improve in randoms, having initially got to tier 5 on a few lines, realised I didn't know what I was doing, and spent a while mainly playing co-op at T5 while practising a bit more in PvP at T3 and (mainly) T4. This thread isn't intended to cover all the things I know I need to improve (there are too many for one thread, and I've found lots of helpful advice for many of them on other threads). But there are a few specific things I've been wondering about recently.

I've been playing more BBs than previously – as my least-played class apart from CVs,* I figured it would be helpful for learning more about the game – and I dont really feel like I'm 'getting it' somehow. I think that's mainly about needing to plan further ahead to identify good positions/strategies and then not being able to reposition easily when I get that wrong. (Weirdly WTR says BBs are my best class; I put that down to having played less of them back when I was totally rather than moderately clueless). I imagine that planning etc mainly comes with experience – I've binge-watched lots of Flamu's commentaries and replay analyses and iChase's Captain Academy vids, but applying the principles is a learning curve – but any tips would be gratefully received. Apart from that I did have a few more specific questions, and it would be great if somone's able to help.

1) I've got into the habit of using my heal to absorb damage from one or two fires, instead of using the damage control party. But is that a sensible tactic, especially if I'm still under HE fire?

2) Which of the one-point captain skills would experienced players recommend? I'm torn between PT, EL and PM.

3) Which tier would you say is best for learning BBs? I've generally assumed T5 is a good place to stick around for a long time until you feel comfortable with the kinda MM you face there... Apart from for DDs, playing Nicholas with a captain in retraining taught me the dangers of playing a DD without CE at T5+!! Is that a good plan? (T5 as a learning tier, that is!)

4) More general question... What impact does enabling replays have on client performance? I think I read somewhere it can mean you lose around 5 fps; is that the case? I would like to enable replays, but given that my rather old machine gets about 22-25 fps on low graphics, and I can't really justify the cost of a new PC just atm, I don't think I can afford to take the further performance hit...

Thanks to anyone who can help! :Smile_honoring:

* From what I've seen of CV gameplay, I think it's best for everyone involved if I leave them alone.

15 answers to this question

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Hi, welcome to the game and Forum :)

1) Yes, that makes sense most of the times, but ofc depends on the situation.

Fire damage itself can be healed for 100% (up to the limit of your repair party ofc) So letting 1 fire burn makes sense and sparing your damage control for situations when you are in cover/not shot at or when you receive too many fires or flooding.

2.) I myself have PT on every ship because I am used to it. Mainly I use it to determine if an invisible DD is on the flank I am going or , in a more expirienced manner, if that DD fired Torps or not. I have that on all classes but that is a personal preference.

EL can be very usefull if you switch ammunition a lot. I use it mainly for (japanese) Cruisers which have a ~10-15 sec reload (Atago/Zao). At the moment BB AP shells do a lot of damage to lightly armored ships, som it is not worth it. But that could change in the near future when they rework that.

PM can arguably be better than PT on ships that lose turrets a lot.

3.) Tier 5 has the disadvantage of being uptiered a lot because the T3/4 ships have a limited matchmaking. so i would either advise T4 ot T6. T6 has a lot of great BBs like the Fuso, New Mexiko, Bayern where you can really practice BBs

4. ) no impact. It is a ~2MB download when the match ends. Thats it.

I would also recommend you take a look at the Wiki. It explains a lot of basic mechanics pretty good.

Like for example Fire dmage and healing:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,441 posts
6,517 battles

1) Yes, this is a decent tactic, however only if you're under constant HE spam. Otherwise it's sometimes better if you repair the two fires, but never repair a single fire unless you don't have any HP left.

2) For BBs, PM is more or less pointless so avoid that one, as is EL since BBs tend to only use one type of ammo. I personally always take priority target. It lets me know if anybody is aiming at me and if they're not, I can be more careless and show more broadside or turn.

3) That's a bit difficult to answer. At tier 4 you can learn the basics, but protected matchmaking leaves some of the more powerful enemies out. I'd say that you can learn the most between tiers 5-7. Any ships beyond that are usually just better versions of the previous ones.

4) About 3-5 fps yes. One quick way to double your FPS is if you only have 4GB of ram you can install another 4GB for only about 20-30€.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
16 minutes ago, Admiral_T_Sipper said:

1) I've got into the habit of using my heal to absorb damage from one or two fires, instead of using the damage control party. But is that a sensible tactic, especially if I'm still under HE fire?

Yes. Do not repair one fire unless you have to or there is noone shooting at you anymore. One fire doesn't hurt, and you don't want 3 or 4 of them set on you while you have repair on cooldown.

17 minutes ago, Admiral_T_Sipper said:

2) Which of the one-point captain skills would experienced players recommend? I'm torn between PT, EL and PM.

I'd say PT or PM - whichever you personally prefer. I go for PM, most people take PT.

EL is a wasted effort, 15 seconds is not worth it. At that point you might aswell fire whatever you already have loaded and then switch over to the other shell type.

The only exception (at least currently) is the John Doe (ex Steven Seagal) captain (which you as a newer player probably don't have) whos EL reduces reload by 75% instead of the normal 50% - and 7s to swap amo is perfectly fine

21 minutes ago, Admiral_T_Sipper said:

3) Which tier would you say is best for learning BBs? I've generally assumed T5 is a good place to stick around for a long time until you feel comfortable with the kinda MM you face there... Apart from for DDs, playing Nicholas with a captain in retraining taught me the dangers of playing a DD without CE at T5+!! Is that a good plan?

Depends on a nation, but generally between 5 and 7. That's where BBs start to shape towards what they will be at higher tiers instead of the low tier joke that most of them are

Tier 5 has kind of bad MM, so 6 or 7 might be kinder for that purpose. BBs often struggle with tier differences more than DDs (emphasis on often / in general not always)

From lines that you have played - I haven't played the French so can't comment on those, for the Japanese starting from tier 5 pretty much all of them are strong - both tier 5 and 6 are good learning tiers for how they will be at 7 and 8, and for Royal Navy - QE is vastly superior to Iron Duke, and then starting from KGV they are completely different, much more similar to oversized cruisers than other BBs

27 minutes ago, Admiral_T_Sipper said:

4) More general question... What impact does enabling replays have on client performance? I think I read somewhere it can mean you lose around 5 fps; is that the case? I would like to enable replays, but given that my rather old machine gets about 22-25 fps on low graphics, and I can't really justify the cost of a new PC just atm, I don't think I can afford to take the further performance hit...

Never heard of that, I think it has no impact on performance. Replays are definitely worth it to activate

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles
Vor 6 Minuten, Admiral_T_Sipper sagte:

Yes. Especially when under HE fire, using DCP is pretty much pointless as you will burn again after the cooldown anyway. And even worse, if you put out a fire and eat a torpedo afterwards, you have a flooding you can't heal and this will do far more damage than 1 or 2 fires.

Vor 9 Minuten, Admiral_T_Sipper sagte:

I'm using PT on nearly all my ships. Very helpful to know when I'm being focused too much.

Vor 10 Minuten, Admiral_T_Sipper sagte:

3) Which tier would you say is best for learning BBs? I've generally assumed T5 is a good place to stick around for a long time until you feel comfortable with the kinda MM you face there... Apart from for DDs, playing Nicholas with a captain in retraining taught me the dangers of playing a DD without CE at T5+!! Is that a good plan?

T7 has the best MM because you will rarely be lowtier. And most T7 BBs are nice to play.

But T5 and T6 are nice to train too.

Playing DD without CE is not a good plan, no ^^

Unless you are a Soviet Gun DD.

Vor 27 Minuten, Admiral_T_Sipper sagte:

It's no impact at all.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_T_Sipper said:

3)

1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

BBs often struggle with tier differences more than DDs

I hadn't realised this. I'll take the advice everyone seems to be giving and use T6 for these purposes for BBs. (I don't have much time to play, so don't anticipate going above T7 for the foreseeable future anyhow).

To expand on it:

While things like speed and range are issues - you can work around those. Detectability stays similar, not a problem. Armour is where the problem lies

Overmatching is a pretty important mechanic for BBs. Basically if your gun is at least 14.3 times larger than the armour thickness that you hit your AP shell will penetrate no matter the angle.

19mm bow (tier 5) can be lolpen'd by 272mm and larger guns - pretty much all BBs (and Graf Spee)

25mm bows (tier 6 and 7) can be lolpen'd by 358mm and larger guns - like half of 6s, almost all 7s and all 8+

32mm bows (tier 8 and higher) can be lolpen'd by 458mm and larger guns - Yamato and Musashi

Problem is when you, for example in a Fuso (t6 / 356mm guns / 25mm bow) meet something like Nagato (t7 / 410mm guns / 25mm bow). Nagato can punch clean through Fusos bow while Fuso can't do that to the Nagato.

Of course, sometimes it can work in the other way aswell, for example Lyon (t7 / 340mm gun / 25mm bow) vs QE (t6 / 381mm gun / 25mm bow) the tier 6 ship would actually come off better

That gun caliber can make a lot of difference

Afaik for DDs those changes most of the time are smaller - issues of concealment and DPS (and better torps ofc). Heaviest difference would be between t6 DDs vs t8 DDs and t7 DDs vs t8 & t9 DDs

1 hour ago, Admiral_T_Sipper said:

If you'll all permit me to go a bit beyond the scope of the topic title, would you recommend the same for CA/CLs?

Hmm, I'm not exactly quality CA player so I don't really know, they seem to be squishy all the way through :D But yeah, I guess t6 for them too is a good "this is how it will look further up" point

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles
2 minutes ago, domen3 said:

4) About 3-5 fps yes. One quick way to double your FPS is if you only have 4GB of ram you can install another 4GB for only about 20-30€.

really? never noticed a FPS drop with replays tbh.

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,441 posts
6,517 battles
8 minutes ago, LilJumpa said:

really? never noticed a FPS drop with replays tbh.

Do you have a good PC? Because back when my PC could do 30 FPS at most, it was quite noticable

Players
466 posts
1,698 battles

Thanks for the helpful answers, all!

1) It's nice to know this use of consumables seems to meet with general approval. I just wanted to double-check – the efficiency of Repair Party isn't diminished if you're taking hits, is it?

2) I guess I'll stick with PT then, thanks

3)

30 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

BBs often struggle with tier differences more than DDs

I hadn't realised this. I'll take the advice everyone seems to be giving and use T6 for these purposes for BBs. (I don't have much time to play, so don't anticipate going above T7 for the foreseeable future anyhow). If you'll all permit me to go a bit beyond the scope of the topic title, would you recommend the same for CA/CLs?

31 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Playing DD without CE is not a good plan, no ^^

For DDs I'll prob stick to the current plan – T4 until I have a 10-point captain, then stick at T5 until I'm feeling very comfortable there, before throwing myself on the mercy of the T8 radar cruisers :cap_wander_2:

4) Okay, I'll try enabing replays and see what it does!

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, Admiral_T_Sipper sagte:

I just wanted to double-check – the efficiency of Repair Party isn't diminished if you're taking hits, is it?

Nope. Each sort of damage is healable to some point. Damage from fires and floodings to 100%, damage from shells or torpedos less. But the healable damage you received will stay there until you heal it, no matter if you get hit after that.

• Cool 1

Players
466 posts
1,698 battles
53 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

ach sort of damage is healable to some point. Damage from fires and floodings to 100%, damage from shells or torpedos less. But the healable damage you received will stay there until you heal it, no matter if you get hit after that.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, domen3 said:

One quick way to double your FPS is if you only have 4GB of ram you can install another 4GB for only about 20-30€.

And I'll look into this.

Players
466 posts
1,698 battles
12 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Overmatching is a pretty important mechanic for BBs. Basically if your gun is at least 14.3 times larger than the armour thickness that you hit your AP shell will penetrate no matter the angle.

19mm bow (tier 5) can be lolpen'd by 272mm and larger guns - pretty much all BBs (and Graf Spee)

25mm bows (tier 6 and 7) can be lolpen'd by 358mm and larger guns - like half of 6s, almost all 7s and all 8+

32mm bows (tier 8 and higher) can be lolpen'd by 458mm and larger guns - Yamato and Musashi

Problem is when you, for example in a Fuso (t6 / 356mm guns / 25mm bow) meet something like Nagato (t7 / 410mm guns / 25mm bow). Nagato can punch clean through Fusos bow while Fuso can't do that to the Nagato.

Of course, sometimes it can work in the other way aswell, for example Lyon (t7 / 340mm gun / 25mm bow) vs QE (t6 / 381mm gun / 25mm bow) the tier 6 ship would actually come off better

Thanks for this explainer. I hadn't really thought through these implications of overmatching before, so it's really useful. So if we take the Fuso in the first example and the Lyon in the second, have I understood correctly that the best course of action there is to angle your main belt against the Nagato or the QE, and that you should be able to mitigate incoming damage that way? And then switch to HE if there isn't a better target to blap with your AP?

12 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I'm not exactly quality CA player so I don't really know, they seem to be squishy all the way through :D

I made teh mistake of starting off in RN CLs, so I noticed that! :Smile_teethhappy: Ofc it didn't help that I also thought 'well irl you wanted to turn broadside to get all of your guns firing, so that's what I'll do', and entirely missing several important points for rather a long time... Now at least when I expose my broadside it's a mistake rather than deliberate!

14 hours ago, domen3 said:

For BBs, PM is more or less pointless so avoid that one

14 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I'd say PT or PM - whichever you personally prefer. I go for PM, most people take PT.

Oh I just remembered the other thing I wanted to ask about PM... Am I right in thinking it reduces the chance of losing secondary guns and AAA? In which case, would it be important if I decide to run an AA build on e.g. a Lyon or KGV?

And thanks again to everyone for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it :-)

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_T_Sipper said:

Thanks for this explainer. I hadn't really thought through these implications of overmatching before, so it's really useful. So if we take the Fuso in the first example and the Lyon in the second, have I understood correctly that the best course of action there is to angle your main belt against the Nagato or the QE, and that you should be able to mitigate incoming damage that way? And then switch to HE if there isn't a better target to blap with your AP?

Exactly that, you already are making better progress than most people with thousands of games in their BBs :Smile_teethhappy:

When an enemy ship can overmatch your bow you always want to trinck them into shooting (and bouncing on) your main belt. Of course, you don't want to overangle so much that they would punch through it :cap_haloween:It's just a thing that comes with practice as you play those ships

And you are exactly right on the 2nd part - if enemy is bow on to you and you can't overmatch it - your AP would be useless, while your HE will still do damage to them (and potentially set fires). That's the part  where amo selection and prediction of enemy movements comes in :cap_like:

22 minutes ago, Admiral_T_Sipper said:

I made teh mistake of starting off in RN CLs, so I noticed that! :Smile_teethhappy: Ofc it didn't help that I also thought 'well irl you wanted to turn broadside to get all of your guns firing, so that's what I'll do', and entirely missing several important points for rather a long time... Now at least when I expose my broadside it's a mistake rather than deliberate!

I'm sure we've all been there :Smile_teethhappy: Crossing the T and whatnot, just to get deleted in return

Actually, getting all your guns to fire still is often doable, for example if you are wiggling your ship

a8Xb4VB.png

This way either he will do little to nothing to you, will have to skip a salvo or will have to switch to HE which does less dmg than AP :cap_viking:

30 minutes ago, Admiral_T_Sipper said:

Oh I just remembered the other thing I wanted to ask about PM... Am I right in thinking it reduces the chance of losing secondary guns and AAA? In which case, would it be important if I decide to run an AA build on e.g. a Lyon or KGV?

As far as I know it protects only engine (won't really be knocked out on a BB apart from some rare torpedo), rudder (apart from IJN BBs haven't seen that being knocked out too often either) and main guns (more or less of a problem depending on a ship).

What PM allows you to do is to pick "Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1" in the 1st upgrade slot (which does increase - well, doubles - secondary and AA survivability) as you then don't need to pick "Main Armaments Mod 1" for your guns :cap_yes:

Players
466 posts
1,698 battles
38 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Exactly that, you already are making better progress than most people with thousands of games in their BBs :Smile_teethhappy:

Haha nice to hear!

38 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Actually, getting all your guns to fire still is often doable, for example if you are wiggling your ship

Oh yes I saw Flamu doing this in his recent Furutaka commentary... I've been practising it in my Furutaka (admittedly mainly in co-op so far) and enjoying the results :cap_haloween:but I'll try to do so more actively in my BBs.

41 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

What PM allows you to do is to pick "Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1" in the 1st upgrade slot (which does increase - well, doubles - secondary and AA survivability) as you then don't need to pick "Main Armaments Mod 1" for your guns :cap_yes:

Okay, that makes sense :cap_hmm: Will bear it in mind for when I get to a ship with decent enough base AA to make an AA build potentially worthwhile! :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[BONI]
Players
1,133 posts
9,957 battles

I take PT first, PM on BBs is best on brawlers that can expect a lot of AP to be thrown at them at closer ranges and from different angles. Even then, it's mostly just the turrets that are in danger and that can be helped with Main Arm Mod 1 (which, again, is more likely not to be used by brawlers who want Aux Arm Mod 1). PT can let you know when someone is aiming at you from stealth, and generally tell you at a glance how much aggro you have. Definitely worth the 1 point.

As for which tier to play to learn, I think it doesn't work that way since every tier has a different selection of ships you can encounter. Decide on a ship that looks interesting, grind your way to it and then git gud with it. I will say the meta changes quite a bit at t8, since some lines change drastically from dreadnoughts to modern BBs.

• Cool 1

Players
466 posts
1,698 battles
On 28/04/2018 at 2:21 PM, MoveZig said:

As for which tier to play to learn, I think it doesn't work that way since every tier has a different selection of ships you can encounter. Decide on a ship that looks interesting, grind your way to it and then git gud with it.

I had kinda been wondering about this approach as well, particularly after reading this on the NA forum: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/

Despite not having loads of games in it yet, I'm liking how the (fully upgraded) Furutaka plays – much more so than the other T5 cruisers I've tired so far – so tbh I may focus mainly on IJN CAs for a while. Possibly the more rewarding use of limited time to play. Aoba and Myoko both look like I'd enjoy them, and if I ever want to go for a Tier 10 ship, Zao would be my first choice, even though I know other cruisers have more utility potential.

But I'll still want to sometimes play BBs and DDs (especially US – though I really need to git gud in the Nicholas before I allow myself to buy the Farragut, I think). Hopefully I'll figure out which BB/line of BBs looks most interesting to me soon, so I can put all the helpful advice here into practice!