El2aZeR

Loyang question

13 comments in this topic

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,199 posts
14,454 battles

Got a 30% coupon, thought I'd treat myself to something and bought a Loyang since I otherwise don't have a T8 DD I play.

Just one quick question, though. Which torps should I use? Both have their up and downsides in my eyes.

[GOUF]
Beta Tester
253 posts
5,553 battles

I use the longer range ones because I'm not used in general to shotgun torp gameplay and because I like to have the chanche to  torp some ship from safe distance.

On the other side, I know that some players prefer the shorter range ones,  to better torp enemy DDs in smoke after sonaring them.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,230 posts
6,768 battles

I use the short-range since the day I did 6000 damage and no flood with the 9.2km when hitting a North Carolina in the bow.

The 6.7 can be used for torping BB while staying in stealth. I usually position myself to go ahead of them and run parallel, that helps extending the range artificially. They do very good damage, are fast and hard to dodge.

The 9.2 are more versatile, but they do very, very frustrating damage. When you land hits in a smoke and the DD only lost half its HP, when you score multiple hits for ridiculous damage and no flood, it's just frustrating. 6.7 are useless when the enemy team camp, but at least they punish mistakes very harshly.

Against DD with the 6.7 I usually get close to their smoke, torp it, then activate hydro and smoke when the torpedoes enter the smoke cloud. That's usually a guaranteed kill. The enemy DD either dodge torps, but is spotted and die, or don't and die.

Overall I find the LY more fun when used with the 6.7.

• Cool 2

Players
953 posts
20,786 battles

LoYang can best be played with 6,7 kms torps which have speed 38 knots(!). when yr in smoke very often yr attacked by enemy destroyers, cruisers and even BB's. having 10x high speed heavy tops 6,7 kms range ready waiting for them can very often be devastating for enemy ships. secondly: in knifefights with other dd's (happens very often) your 6.7 kms range (38 knots) heavy torps are menacing to the other destroyers. no doubt in my mind 6.7 kms torps are the very best. you have 5.8 kms stealth, so, after some practice the 6,7 kms torps can be very well used in attacking enemy ships.

best build imo for LoYang (VIII):

1) PM

2) AR + LS

3) SI + DE

4) RL + CE

(= 19 points capt.)

Demolition Expert works well: when your torps cause flooding to enemy ships then they have to use their Damaga Control...after that fcaus you try to set fire to enemy to cause maximum damage. LoYang generally speaking does not do enormous high damage (such as Shimakaze and YueYang), but far more important: LoYang does damage where it count the most(!). So LoYang very often ends up place 1-3 in score-lists (shown after battle)..especially when one gets realy used to playing LoYang in an agressive and creative style. LoYang provides excellent entertainment and fun and supports the team in excellent ways. So, yes, get a LoYang(XIII), you won't regeret it.

[TS1]
Players
586 posts
7,618 battles
6 hours ago, Yaskaraxx said:

38 knots(!) ... (38 knots)

I'm sure you meant to say 68 knots.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,199 posts
14,454 battles

Tried the long range ones for a couple of games. Performance is anemic to say the least.

I'll try the shotgun gameplay next. Nothing I'm not used to from bathing in the blood of seals playing Clemson and other low tier USN DDs anyway. :Smile_trollface:

Thanks for the answers guys!

[AAO]
Players
1,807 posts
9,603 battles
On 27-4-2018 at 6:01 PM, El2aZeR said:

Tried the long range ones for a couple of games. Performance is anemic to say the least.

You can of course troll around with the short ones, nothing wrong with it.

Though in the end they'll have the same problem as the F3's for yugumo/shima, and lo yang will have very similar matchmaking: Passive gameplay + radars at high tiers make them barely worth it.

I've taken the anemic ones most of the time, since it main task is to contest caps/hunt enemy DDs. That's why I would disagree on one point with

On 27-4-2018 at 10:09 AM, Yaskaraxx said:

best build imo for LoYang (VIII):

1) PM

2) AR + LS

3) SI + DE

4) RL + CE

because when going versus other DDs as much, you'll need every bit of health as much as you can, and hence best replace DE with SE.

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Using the LR as well. My DD playstyle is torp style anyway. That's why I don't particularly shine in the Soviet line. But if you're really good in DD play and more all-round, the SR torps are a very viable option.

In my case I learned to make the sssslllooooowwwww travel speed of the LR torps to my advantage. My "trick?" keep the enemy (usually BB) spotted in torp vision for "ages." Until his/ her nerves break down or he/ she'll "forget about you" then you spread. Making the torps arrive at a time they don't expect it anymore. Not 100% guaranteed success but nothing is in this game.

Players
952 posts
5,610 battles
On 27-4-2018 at 6:01 PM, El2aZeR said:

I'll try the shotgun gameplay next. Nothing I'm not used to from bathing in the blood of seals playing Clemson and other low tier USN DDs anyway. :Smile_trollface:

Thanks for the answers guys!

I've used the short range torps for a long time and with good results. The problem is though that as soon as you get dropped into a tier 10 match, standard battle open map, radar everywhere etc. you suddenly have no damage potential at all. Think of it like this, when you have the room to sneak up to an enemy for shotgun style, you can get the kill with the weak torpedoes too. You have 10 of them. While the reverse is not true, you do not have the option to fire the short ranged torps at targets beyond 6,7km obviously. Weak as they may be, it's better to have a chance on some hits / flooding than to have nothing at all.

I found that the only thing the short range torps are better for is knife fighting a DD, but you can just use smoke + hydro in most cases.

So all in all, after about 130 games, I've gone back to the long range torps even though they do suck.

• Cool 1

Players
752 posts
3,098 battles

I've been using the long range torpedoes with a captain using torpedo acceleration. its kinda amusing really :D  

Players
952 posts
5,610 battles
On 16-5-2018 at 12:39 AM, GhostRider_24 said:

I've been using the long range torpedoes with a captain using torpedo acceleration. its kinda amusing really :D  

So 7,4km at 60kn?

Assuming you take LS, AR, SE, SI en CE as the most useful build, you have 4 points left. Taking TA then means giving up RL or any of the 3 point skills. I guess I could live without those but I'm not sure I would want to trade it for less than 1km extra range on the torpedoes (compared to the Mk31) given that they are still the weak Mk15's. Getting JOAT as the other 2 point skill is nice for LoYang though.

LoYang is an interesting boat for captain experimenting, because those last 4 points can be spent in a large number of ways. Personally I felt that BFT was not worth it, because AR gives a similar bonus and does it for the torpedoes too at only 2 points. TAE might be good but the torps are too situational in my eyes so I ended up with RL and find it useful as soon as the enemy starts to thin out.

[BAD-B]
Players
807 posts
2,438 battles

tried the short ones for a couple of games, did not work for me ... if you torp smoked up ships, the long range ones are good as well ... and for close range fight with another DD, smoke+guns+hydro work much better than torps of any kind ...

[UNICS]
Players
1,244 posts
15,470 battles

i get good results with both , depending on radar ships ofc