Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zlaraki

Where should I aim when Im facing Conquerer?

20 comments in this topic

Players
160 posts
2,858 battles

I thought Yamato could penetrate every armor but this one seems a bit difficult. Conquerer was sailing broadside 9 km away shooting his 12 guns at me. I shoot 2 salvos at his broadside, 10 shells were bounced. I aint really that good at this game but this seems a bit over the top. What am I doing wrong and where should I aim next time? Ofcourse I angled against him but since hes spamming HE there is not much I can do.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,101 posts
14,384 battles

The Conqueror has a 400+ mm side plating armor. As you were in a Yamato, this meant that the Conqueror was angled at least slightly as 400 ish mm should not be enough to stop a Yamato's shells at that distance with that consistency. To be fair he could have been angling at 50 or so degrees which is perfectly possible for a Conq whilst keeping all her guns on you. In these cases, aim slightly higher at her upper midplate or at her bow plates. It's unlikely that you'll be able to hit the Conq's citadel regardless, so just aim for the 32 mm plates which you'll be guaranteed to overmatch.

• Cool 1

Players
160 posts
2,858 battles
37 minutes ago, dasCKD said:

The Conqueror has a 400+ mm side plating armor. As you were in a Yamato, this meant that the Conqueror was angled at least slightly as 400 ish mm should not be enough to stop a Yamato's shells at that distance with that consistency. To be fair he could have been angling at 50 or so degrees which is perfectly possible for a Conq whilst keeping all her guns on you. In these cases, aim slightly higher at her upper midplate or at her bow plates. It's unlikely that you'll be able to hit the Conq's citadel regardless, so just aim for the 32 mm plates which you'll be guaranteed to overmatch.

Very interesting. I went and had a look at all tier X structures. It looks like this rule you mentioned applies to all the battleships except the French line. I have been doing it wrong all this time. Thank you!

Just one question. Even if he was angling at 50 degree or so, he still shouldnt have bounced all of my 10 Yamato shells or am I wrong?

[ADRIA]
Players
4,808 posts
6,919 battles
38 minutes ago, Zlaraki said:

Conquerer was sailing broadside 9 km away shooting his 12 guns at me. I shoot 2 salvos at his broadside, 10 shells were bounced.

Either you are very confused about what is "broadside" or that never happened. You have a replay by any chance?

Conq has a very simple armour scheme:

• 400-ish mm main belt (on a boradside target that still wouldn't bounce anything)
  • 19mm superstructure (standard)
  • 32mm everywhere else (Yamato lolpens that at any angle)

So either he was angled (not broadside) and baited you into shooting his angled main belt or you were aiming kinda high up and hitting his main turrets

In fact at 9km Yamato has so much pen that you could bounce on his main belt only if he doesn't have all his guns on you, which you say he did - and that most definitely wouldn't be "showing broadside"

Players
160 posts
2,858 battles
7 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Either you are very confused about what is "broadside" or that never happened. You have a replay by any chance?

• 400-ish mm main belt (on a boradside target that still wouldn't bounce anything)

So either he was angled (not broadside) and baited you into shooting his angled main belt or you were aiming kinda high up and hitting his main turrets

In fact at 9km Yamato has so much pen that you could bounce on his main belt only if he doesn't have all his guns on you, which you say he did - and that most definitely wouldn't be "showing broadside"

He was not 100% broadside, just enough to call it that way. He was indeed shooting all his 12 guns at me. I aimed at the water line because I heard those are the basics for the newcomers and all my 10 shells were bounced at a very close distance, maybe even closer than 9km. But like you said, at that distance even the main belt shouldnt be a problem right? So either Im lying or this indeed happened.

I dont record my matches unless WoW itself has such system which enables me to download my past matches like in league of legends for example.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,808 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, Zlaraki said:

He was not 100% broadside, just enough to call it that way. He was indeed shooting all his 12 guns at me. I aimed at the water line because I heard those are the basics for the newcomers and all my 10 shells were bounced at a very close distance, maybe even closer than 9km. But like you said, at that distance even the main belt shouldnt be a problem right? So either Im lying or this indeed happened.

I dont record my matches unless WoW itself has such system which enables me to download my past matches like in league of legends for example.

Hmm, I'm going to take a guess that he was turning this way:

eInKnbo.png

He could have fired his guns and then angled just enough before you get your shot out

Generally aiming for midships waterline is correct, but since Yamato overmatches (lolpens) everything that's up to 32mm - if someone is angling against you just shoot towards their bow :cap_like:

1 hour ago, Zlaraki said:

There is a way, just not instantly obvious :D

https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/articles/128/

WG's good at these mysterious "go figure it out by yourself" things

• Cool 1

Players
803 posts
12,803 battles
7 hours ago, dasCKD said:

Not even 50, 30 degrees is enough for having 462mm of effective armour: 400mm * 2/(sqrt 3) = 461.88... mm. That "odd" fraction I used is the secant of 30­°. The secant of the angle (being 0­° a perfect broadside) is the value you have to multiply by the thickness of the plating in order to know if you'll penetrate or not.

Apart from such calculation, as wilkatis_LV said, if the target was also turning in order to increase the angling then you'd end up with even bigger values by the time the shells arrive, hence the bouncing.

Salute.

Players
2,159 posts

Guessing he was wiggling his Conq in time to your shots, an experienced (and good) BB player will have the timings in his head and habits, odds are he was angling enough in his wiggles to bounce and got away with it.

Conq has good enough firing angles with the turrets to keep all 4 on a target as big as a Yamato.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,341 posts
11,248 battles
7 hours ago, Zlaraki said:

Very interesting. I went and had a look at all tier X structures. It looks like this rule you mentioned applies to all the battleships except the French line. I have been doing it wrong all this time. Thank you!

Just one question. Even if he was angling at 50 degree or so, he still shouldnt have bounced all of my 10 Yamato shells or am I wrong?

Yamato is famous for being able to overmatch every bow armor in the game AND it's very rare for her AP to shatter on any armor struck.

HOWEVER this doesn't mean that there's no armor in the game capable of bouncing these shells. There are many ships that have a bow armor that can't be overmatched even by these huge shells - what it means is that, if a shell hits at auto-bounce angle, it WILL bounce. Also, bounces are pretty consistent - if the shells indeed land at bounce angle on the tough-enough-to-not-be-overmatched plating, it's not uncommon to see a full salvo of bounces (in BBs it's a bit less common due to dispersion that tends to give you some overpen on superstructure at least but it's not like more tightly grouped salvoes don't happen).

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,157 posts
14,439 battles

When facing a Conqueror in a Yamato it's often best to just aim for the bow, stern and upper belt areas to make full use of your ability to overmatch.

[FJAKA]
Players
1,991 posts
11,802 battles
8 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Conq is zombieproof ship. 10% angle and he will bounce shittons of shels like no other ship. That is really Facebook styl of play ship that you can play efficintly on mobilephone. 

So yeah. He probably was not 90% on him. 8o% which is consider broadside for all other ships except this idiotic designe of WG 

Players
2,427 posts
15,503 battles
43 minutes ago, eliastion said:

HOWEVER this doesn't mean that there's no armor in the game capable of bouncing these shells

Even 33mm auto bounces 18" Yamato AP shells between 0-30 degrees and has a chance to bounce from 30-45 degrees.

The Conq was angled more than 45 degrees, Zlaraki aimed for the wide belt and they all bounced. Simple. The same would've happened to an Emerald.

Only Hood and Duke of York get special bounce rules for a BB (everything from 30 degrees is a pen, overpen or shatter)

[ADRIA]
Players
4,808 posts
6,919 battles
14 minutes ago, 15JG52Adler said:

Conq is zombieproof ship. 10% angle and he will bounce shittons of shels like no other ship. That is really Facebook styl of play ship that you can play efficintly on mobilephone. 

So yeah. He probably was not 90% on him. 8o% which is consider broadside for all other ships except this idiotic designe of WG 

And people like you are why I can play my Conq as silly as I want and it will still work, while I can 1v1 an enemy Conq in my Amagi with reasonable confidence.

Learn to play against it. Stop pretending it's invulnerable. Stop ignoring it and thinking "he's someone elses problem"

• Cool 1

[FJAKA]
Players
1,991 posts
11,802 battles
6 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

And people like you are why I can play my Conq as silly as I want and it will still work, while I can 1v1 an enemy Conq in my Amagi with reasonable confidence.

Learn to play against it. Stop pretending it's invulnerable. Stop ignoring it and thinking "he's someone elses problem"

I can play against him. But it standas as one of most OP ship in game that has no real weaknes and has 1 button play. And eaven you have 1 button to press and basicaly no need to worry about enemies angle, armor it still is NUMBER one dmg dealer. Stronger than dreadfull OP terminator CVs. 

[ADRIA]
Players
4,808 posts
6,919 battles
5 hours ago, 15JG52Adler said:

has no real weaknes

oh it has lots and lots of them, it's just that you are intentionally ignoring all of them

5 hours ago, 15JG52Adler said:

it still is NUMBER one dmg dealer

Nooo, no frikin way a ship that spends the whole game doing % max hp dmg to targets with by far the highest max hp in the game will have highest dmg dealt

And apparently you have no clue how to differentiate between useful damage and useless damage

• Cool 1

[FJAKA]
Players
1,991 posts
11,802 battles
32 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

oh it has lots and lots of them, it's just that you are intentionally ignoring all of them

Nooo, no frikin way a ship that spends the whole game doing % max hp dmg to targets with by far the highest max hp in the game will have highest dmg dealt

And apparently you have no clue how to differentiate between useful damage and useless damage

nah, it is BB with least weakness of them all.

- best stealth

- best dmg (good, bad, ugly one, all dmg is counted) - it outdmgs by almost 20% other BBs

- best overall HP

- a would call it best armor.....any other BB (except KM) will get citadeled in situation where Conq will deflect it)

- ignore armor of others ships

- very strong AAA (not the best, but definitely not the weaknes of ship)

- solid range

- solid manevarubility

so yeah...it is ship with least weakness of high tier ship with the best defensive tools of them all (stealth + armor + zombie heal) with most offensive tool (best DMG guns in game which are bulletproof for any skill of opponent aka angling)

it is idiot proof ship like Saipan, Belfast and such

and i get OP....you just cannot believe how this ship bounces stuff....where on others BBs would get 30+k dmg here you get 5 if you are lucky

[ADRIA]
Players
4,808 posts
6,919 battles
48 minutes ago, 15JG52Adler said:

nah, it is BB with least weakness of them all.

- best stealth

- best dmg (good, bad, ugly one, all dmg is counted) - it outdmgs by almost 20% other BBs

- best overall HP

- a would call it best armor.....any other BB (except KM) will get citadeled in situation where Conq will deflect it)

Not even going to read it any further, you are beyond clueless and obviously have no clue what you're even talking about

There are 2 or 3 threads of discussion about Conq that are so long you could call them a book. Go and read those, maybe you'll finally understand at least something :fish_palm:

[FJAKA]
Players
1,991 posts
11,802 battles
2 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Not even going to read it any further, you are beyond clueless and obviously have no clue what you're even talking about

There are 2 or 3 threads of discussion about Conq that are so long you could call them a book. Go and read those, maybe you'll finally understand at least something :fish_palm:

yeah and on all peoples laugh at you....

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,716 posts
9,234 battles
13 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I can 1v1 an enemy Conq in my Amagi with reasonable confidence.

Prove it.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Sign in to follow this