You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RubyCookies

What is the point of the karma number?

53 comments in this topic

[CIRC]
Players
40 posts
3,067 battles

I'm talking about the little number next to your name in your service record, I know how it works, goes up if you're complimented and goes down if you're reported... It seems to me that most of the time it goes down when you have a good game and someone you killed gets salty. I see no purpose on it being there other than either feeling good about being complimented (rare) or feeling amazing when it goes down because you made a player saltier than the sea

In all honesty I feel that the WoWS community has become a bit more toxic recently, the karma system as a whole needs changed not just the team killing/ damage system.

There isn't really any positive reinforcement for acting like a good player (Helping in chat, been a good team player etc) other than that little number.

I've been thinking about maybe having a reward system, for example players receive a small number of signals or camos every 5 times they are complimented for good behaviour but it won't change the fact that salty players will still abuse the "report" because they can't control their emotions when they die or lose...

What do you guys think should be done for reinforcing positive behaviour?

Sorry for the ramblings of a mad person :Smile-_tongue:

• Boring 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles

There is no point to it, it's as useless as things get here.

If your karma goes high enough you will get a few extra complement / report chances per day (up to something like 11 I think)

Also if your karma is higher it looks like it takes a few extra reports before you get chatbanned

That's about it

[YEEET]
Players
1,206 posts
11,644 battles

It is pretty pointless really though if it gets above a certain number, you get more compliment and reports to give. I do think it could be made more useful but difficult to really see how. However my karma does just slowly go up - and that is despite using RN cruisers and the Fujin almost exclusively these days. Although not up to some of the good players, mine is at present over 200 and slowly rising each week. I am never salty and compliment enemies who play well and especially if I think they played well when killing me!

• Cool 1

Players
425 posts
8,831 battles

Mine hovers around 30 :Smile_teethhappy: I believe I once got it up to 38 but it quickly fell off that due to me obtaining a kraken and everyone on the enemy team reported me ..... yeah whatever :Smile_izmena:

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,579 battles
27 minutes ago, SPGGUNNER said:

I see no purpose on it being there other than either feeling good about being complimented (rare) or feeling amazing when it goes down because you made a player saltier than the sea

How is this not the best feature in WoWs?

• Funny 1

Players
671 posts
5,040 battles

Karma is for kids, patches are for kids, stats are for kids it makes them feel happy or something.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
1,558 posts
13,419 battles

The higher number you have, the worse teammates you get. I have around 400 so i'm always fu%¤&#. 

• Funny 4

Players
3,700 posts
7,338 battles

I was at nearly 50 then I started playing mainly cruisers and now it's down to single figures.

[RBMF]
357 posts
6,497 battles

It's pretty useless, I myself am currently sitting on 144 karma. Which is funny seeing how I don't consider myself an amazing or particularly kind/polite individual. Then again I tend to remain pretty positive and encourage my team in any situation no matter how small the chance of a win might. As long as there is a chance, never give up :) Maybe that's why I get complimented every now and again.

[UNICS]
Alpha Tester
113 posts
6,672 battles

I got around 60 last time I looked. Nothing really useful, in fact I didn't even know higher karma gives more daily report/complement allowance. I wouldn't mind WG adding some actual benefit to karma, but certainly that would require a complete redesign of the system to guard against all loads of potential abuse.

Players
2,475 posts
14,599 battles
2 hours ago, SPGGUNNER said:

What is the point of the karma number?

For me, I like to give positive Karma to players who have done something extraordinary for the team; and I hope they see that and take it as positive reinforcement.

If I receive negative karma, I rarely know why, so it means nothing.

If I receive positive karma for taking a particular action that helps an individual or the team (good scouting, spotting, smoking up a team member,etc), then my faith is restored that at least someone on my team understands what is going on in the game.

[CAIN]
Players
2,742 posts
11,013 battles

The karma system is flawed beyond repair and needs to go to the same place WG put their good sale practices and logic decisions in...

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,196 posts
14,454 battles

Don't listen to all these scrubs. Karma is the most important stat in the game!

OE71uGv.png

:Smile_trollface:

On a more serious note, I'd hate for karma to be related to anything beyond what it is now. Just existing can be reason enough for some people to report the :etc_swear: out of you.

Actually check that, considering how high my karma no amount of reports is gonna drag me down low enough and I'd love to get some freebies!

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

Players
424 posts
4,902 battles

As far as I know, karma is the weapon used by those that are less able in the game. If they can't kill ships, they shoot karma, lol.

In all seriousness though, I like it when karma is not zero, but more often than not I get complimented when I just do my job, and get nothing when I go out of my way to help someone survive. I mean, when you spend your last smoke as a DD to save a cruiser and allow him to farm damage while you spot for him, a compliment wouldn't be a terrible way to thank, but it almost never happens.

It's all a bit meh. Means nothing to me, besides knowing that when it gets to zero I can play their game and they will just waste negative points on a zero karma guy and can't do the same on someone else. Never been chatbanned, so I don't know what it takes to get one, and I am rarely above zero so it's not like I hold back in chat either. :cap_yes:

• Cool 1

Players
2,160 posts
50 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

As far as I know, karma is the weapon used by those that are less able in the game. If they can't kill ships, they shoot karma, lol.

In all seriousness though, I like it when karma is not zero, but more often than not I get complimented when I just do my job, and get nothing when I go out of my way to help someone survive. I mean, when you spend your last smoke as a DD to save a cruiser and allow him to farm damage while you spot for him, a compliment wouldn't be a terrible way to thank, but it almost never happens.

It's all a bit meh. Means nothing to me, besides knowing that when it gets to zero I can play their game and they will just waste negative points on a zero karma guy and can't do the same on someone else. Never been chatbanned, so I don't know what it takes to get one, and I am rarely above zero so it's not like I hold back in chat either. :cap_yes:

True, rare and surprising when it happens, but I've had a few for teamwork smoking.

People are far more likely to use up their reports than their complements, even though most reports equate to nothing.

I agree that if Karma had any rewards then people would be more deliberately spiteful with reports, human nature at play.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,579 battles
5 hours ago, Skyllon said:

What's the point? So you could feel good about yourself?

You can make others feel good about themselves too :fish_cute_2:

• Cool 1

[T_D_G]
Players
386 posts
8,656 battles
2 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

You can make others feel good about themselves too :fish_cute_2:

I felt quite well the other day spending my 11 reports on a guy who left me 4 dead at Hotspot, bordering the islands on the A cap point side, close to the map border with his Shima and a Khabarovsk to just do nothing.

I was in yamato and got rushed by 3 dds of the enemy team and were dead in matter of minutes.

Those reports made me feel good and wishful for him to be banned xd but... This is life.

I usually compliment the player who played well, even if its enemy and say to him too so he knows.