You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Amaterasu_Regale

High tier game chat is radioactive

34 comments in this topic

Players
178 posts
1,974 battles

Reporting for misbehaviour in chat doesnt seem to do anything and every game is full of people calling each other [edited] and wishing death on other people on their team. 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
2,160 posts
1 minute ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Reporting for misbehaviour in chat doesnt seem to do anything and every game is full of people calling each other [edited] and wishing death on other people on their team. 

You must be extra special, that's not my experience. Sure it happens, but not noticeably more than at any other tier.

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles

>Be me, playing World of Warships

>new to the game, so no idea how it works

>buy hightier premium ships because of the big guns

>so_much_range.jpg

>boom

>33k avg on T8, feelsgoodman

>people start telling me how to play

>tell them to shut up, just playing for fun

>chat gets more rude

>go to forum to cry about toxic chat instead of actually learning how to play

• Cool 5
  • Funny 16
  • Bad 1

Players
1,066 posts
5,709 battles
32 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

>so_much_range.jpg

>boom

>chat gets more rude

I read that with "That Guy With A Voice" voice in my head.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
845 posts
8,520 battles
2 hours ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Your low tier Winratio is excellent at 60% (well done!) but your higher tiers winrates (although youre only at T8 atm)are abysmal.

Maybe you should take it a little bit more slow going up in tiers since at 400 games you still have a lot to learn in the lower tiers.

People in higher tiers (8-10) are most of the times a lot more experienced at the game and hence they can be quite demanding of their teammates which results in toxic chat.

Im sure once you get more experience and you can actually pull your weight at the high tiers in stead of putting your team at a disadvantage the level of toxicity will drop significantly. 

• Cool 4

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,354 posts
11,267 battles
2 hours ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

This is strange. You see, I've played A LOT of high tier games and what you describe happens very rarely. There are very toxic matches, but on average someone being called "retard" happens maybe once every three matches, full-blown toxic barrage is - obviously - much more rare. And actually wishing death on anyone? Idk, I think I encountered it less than 10 times in all 9k of my matches :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[SNUBS]
Players
1,293 posts
6,853 battles
3 hours ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

people calling each other [edited] and wishing death on other people on their team

TBH i  can be VERY toxic in chat. but i  think i can count on 1 hand i heared   deathwishes or diseases 

being wished on someone. this game is NOT that toxic at all compared to other online games. 

Players
178 posts
1,974 battles
21 minutes ago, lameoll said:

TBH i  can be VERY toxic in chat. but i  think i can count on 1 hand i heared   deathwishes or diseases 

being wished on someone. this game is NOT that toxic at all compared to other online games. 

It's not so much that I'm offended by it, I'm more just annoyed when two idiots decide that reciting the entirety of the encyclopedia britannica into the chat is a more productive use of their time than firing at the enemy 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,944 posts
14,364 battles
1 hour ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

It's not so much that I'm offended by it, I'm more just annoyed when two idiots decide that reciting the entirety of the encyclopedia britannica into the chat is a more productive use of their time than firing at the enemy 

As soon as one is sunk, one has a lot of time to write into the chat... :cap_cool:

• Cool 2

Players
588 posts
4,771 battles

I've got the mouth of a sailor IRL and I can be pretty shitty in chat too, but kys talk is off limits, no ifs or buts. That said, "misbehavior in chat" reports are, in fact, the only report option that actually do something, contrary to your observations.

They're the only ones that can result in a ban of any sort, all the others only affect karma count, which is effectively worthless.

[TIPC]
Players
252 posts
10,697 battles

Hmm high tiers?

I preaty shure i go full Radioactive in chat whatever tier I play and the "green" ones pull their usual trained dog>them stuns...

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,376 posts
9,288 battles

And now for something completely different, flamuu on a unicycle (cause we can't mention the other person)

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
5 hours ago, eliastion said:

This is strange. You see, I've played A LOT of high tier games and what you describe happens very rarely. There are very toxic matches, but on average someone being called "retard" happens maybe once every three matches, full-blown toxic barrage is - obviously - much more rare. And actually wishing death on anyone? Idk, I think I encountered it less than 10 times in all 9k of my matches :cap_hmm:

once every 3 matches? i find it that people straight up insult someone some 1/20 matches (unless i am in division with certain forumites :Smile_trollface: ), even though i find people that should be insulted in almost every match.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,354 posts
11,267 battles
18 minutes ago, robihr said:

once every 3 matches? i find it that people straight up insult someone some 1/20 matches (unless i am in division with certain forumites :Smile_trollface: ), even though i find people that should be insulted in almost every match.

Well, I also need to account for myself calling my team idiots, right? This alters the count a bit :fish_haloween:

• Funny 1

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
170 posts
8,487 battles

Chat is toxic for many, many reasons, but I blame WG for the vast majority of the problems. It is not the reporting system it is WG's flagrant failure to provide any sort of training gates in what is basically a team game.

WG does not "train" the players in the roles of each class at its core, this means that you have players who do not use their boats to their best and as a result it leads to huge amounts of frustration from team mates, I am not condoning toxic chat just trying to focus on why it is there. We can only pick 2 of our team mates in our team and we are left to the MM gods for the other 9.

For example, in a game yesterday, it came down to a Yue Yang on our team vs a Yugumo on the enemy, cap points where almost identical and there was a couple of minutes to go, the Yugumo went and contested the middle cap (hot spot), our Yue Yang had to engage or the game would have been lost. Suffice to say they met in the middle for gladatorial combat. It did not go well for the full health Yue Yang, I watched as he charged in to less than 2km, turned broadside to the Yugumo and launched torps (at this point I almost choked on my marmite on toast), he didn't fire until he was turning away, too late, he ate 2 torps from the Yugumo and died, game lost.

I thought there has to be a reason, so I pm'd him after the game and asked why he fired his torps and not his guns, his response was that his torps "were better, only spotted at 0.8km" I rather politely pointed out that his torps were ineffective against destroyers, his reply was "l2p". So after picking myself up off my chair, I decided to try and educate him, I pointed him at the forums, I pointed him at a couple of youtube vids (Notser/Flamu), in an effort to help him. To his credit this chat went on over the course of an hour, never getting toxic. He eventually watched one of the vids and came back and said he did not know the difference between normal torps and deep water torps. He had never visited the forums or watched youtube vids for wows, he had played entirely with what WG provide in game. He actually thanked me for the info and commented that he had received several other pm's suggesting he stick his ship where the sun doesn't shine and was happy to have received some help. He is now on my friends list, my good deed for the day.

I but the blame for this squarely at WG's feet, there is no ingame tutorial that takes you through each class, no certification process that says you are qualified to captain a class of ship, WG rely entirely on the community to do this and that is the crux of the problem. The VAST majority of the players never go to the forums, they rarely go to the mainsite, they do not watch the CC's content either on YT or twitch, they cannot be bothered. Now you can take a horse to water as they say but not make it drink, so the "teaching" has to be in the game. Until this is addressed then the chat will always be as it is, well not all toxic chat will go away as there will always be someone who does something stupid in a match, normally me to be fair.

Now let's be clear, I am no angel, I have lost it on the odd occasion in chat, more often at the "elite" players who get upset when a "bob" like me or a team mate kills them, had a 65% player scream "L2P noob"" at a Conqueror  yesterday, as he BBQ'd him to death, irony is beyond some people. I did suggest in chat that the "noob" was good enough to kill him... oh my was that the wrong thing to say.. a string of expletives followed, at which point I became "that person" and proceeded to have some fun at this "elite" players expense. I wasn't rude, I didn't swear, I didn't suggest he had relations with his mother, although he obviously thought it was a common occurrence as we all had partaken at some point according to him.

So, toxic chat is a reality of any online team game, it's a fact of life, the reporting system is a sop to people, if WG were really concerned then they would have GM's popping in to matches to observe but they don't, they cannot be bothered, why should they, they are making millions and until that stops they will only ever pay lip service to the problem. Pretty sure no one at WG will ever read this, why should they? It's not important to them, they are a company and it's $'s they are concerned about.

TB.

• Cool 4

[ONE2]
Players
2,526 posts
14,976 battles
9 hours ago, Shaka_D said:

And now for something completely different, flamuu on a unicycle (cause we can't mention the other person)

We can't? :Smile_amazed: What other person? :cap_hmm: Other than that I fully support this idea...:cap_like:

diff.jpg.edf9265d210c416207ce661af77f5749.jpgclown.jpg.7ccbe86febe96f6af26d712d43410373.jpg

• Cool 1

[FJAKA]
Players
1,991 posts
11,811 battles
16 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

>so_much_range.jpg

>boom

>chat gets more rude

- i play for fun

- stats are random and luck

- P2W

- nerf torpedos and CV

[T_D_G]
Players
386 posts
8,662 battles
18 hours ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Its radioactive because some players are cancer to their teams... (I hope that you're clever enough to get the analogy I used here and to not turn green like Homer Simpson) Even tho the saltiness of this game is way above average on the online gaming community

[AAO]
Players
401 posts
7,173 battles

When i see ppl with sub 30% winrate after 400 battles in a spesific ship and near bot level of avrage dmg, you cant blaim ppl get salty. 

If you are person who plays for fun i dont care in general, but when complete vegtable of human says they play for fun and doesnt seem to wanna Win and does everything in theyr power to throw games, lock them to training room or Co-op for 3 weeks for starters and force feed them tutorials. 

Players
4,342 posts
7,746 battles
2 hours ago, T3ddyBear said:

Chat is toxic for many, many reasons, but I blame WG for the vast majority of the problems. It is not the reporting system it is WG's flagrant failure to provide any sort of training gates in what is basically a team game.

WG does not "train" the players in the roles of each class at its core, this means that you have players who do not use their boats to their best and as a result it leads to huge amounts of frustration from team mates, I am not condoning toxic chat just trying to focus on why it is there. We can only pick 2 of our team mates in our team and we are left to the MM gods for the other 9.

For example, in a game yesterday, it came down to a Yue Yang on our team vs a Yugumo on the enemy, cap points where almost identical and there was a couple of minutes to go, the Yugumo went and contested the middle cap (hot spot), our Yue Yang had to engage or the game would have been lost. Suffice to say they met in the middle for gladatorial combat. It did not go well for the full health Yue Yang, I watched as he charged in to less than 2km, turned broadside to the Yugumo and launched torps (at this point I almost choked on my marmite on toast), he didn't fire until he was turning away, too late, he ate 2 torps from the Yugumo and died, game lost.

I thought there has to be a reason, so I pm'd him after the game and asked why he fired his torps and not his guns, his response was that his torps "were better, only spotted at 0.8km" I rather politely pointed out that his torps were ineffective against destroyers, his reply was "l2p". So after picking myself up off my chair, I decided to try and educate him, I pointed him at the forums, I pointed him at a couple of youtube vids (Notser/Flamu), in an effort to help him. To his credit this chat went on over the course of an hour, never getting toxic. He eventually watched one of the vids and came back and said he did not know the difference between normal torps and deep water torps. He had never visited the forums or watched youtube vids for wows, he had played entirely with what WG provide in game. He actually thanked me for the info and commented that he had received several other pm's suggesting he stick his ship where the sun doesn't shine and was happy to have received some help. He is now on my friends list, my good deed for the day.

I but the blame for this squarely at WG's feet, there is no ingame tutorial that takes you through each class, no certification process that says you are qualified to captain a class of ship, WG rely entirely on the community to do this and that is the crux of the problem. The VAST majority of the players never go to the forums, they rarely go to the mainsite, they do not watch the CC's content either on YT or twitch, they cannot be bothered. Now you can take a horse to water as they say but not make it drink, so the "teaching" has to be in the game. Until this is addressed then the chat will always be as it is, well not all toxic chat will go away as there will always be someone who does something stupid in a match, normally me to be fair.

Now let's be clear, I am no angel, I have lost it on the odd occasion in chat, more often at the "elite" players who get upset when a "bob" like me or a team mate kills them, had a 65% player scream "L2P noob"" at a Conqueror  yesterday, as he BBQ'd him to death, irony is beyond some people. I did suggest in chat that the "noob" was good enough to kill him... oh my was that the wrong thing to say.. a string of expletives followed, at which point I became "that person" and proceeded to have some fun at this "elite" players expense. I wasn't rude, I didn't swear, I didn't suggest he had relations with his mother, although he obviously thought it was a common occurrence as we all had partaken at some point according to him.

So, toxic chat is a reality of any online team game, it's a fact of life, the reporting system is a sop to people, if WG were really concerned then they would have GM's popping in to matches to observe but they don't, they cannot be bothered, why should they, they are making millions and until that stops they will only ever pay lip service to the problem. Pretty sure no one at WG will ever read this, why should they? It's not important to them, they are a company and it's $'s they are concerned about.

TB.

No amount of tutorials will help with players who outright refuse to learn. And forced tutorials with sort of exam at the end will only make them quit hurting playerbase and WG income. Those who want to learn somehow can find their way to the forums novice section and ask genuine questions, as well watch/read some tutorials

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles
4 minutes ago, Panocek said:

No amount of tutorials will help with players who outright refuse to learn. And forced tutorials with sort of exam at the end will only make them quit hurting playerbase and WG income. Those who want to learn somehow can find their way to the forums novice section and ask genuine questions, as well watch/read some tutorials

This is a fatalistic attitude. You have given up before you even try. The point isn't to remove incompetent players altogether. The point is to reduce the amount of preventable mistakes being made.

Players
4,342 posts
7,746 battles
1 minute ago, Tubit101 said:

This is a fatalistic attitude. You have given up before you even try. The point isn't to remove incompetent players altogether. The point is to reduce the amount of preventable mistakes being made.

I've been here, done that. Back in the day when I was active WoT player I was tutor of a sort in clan. From +- 60 players that statistically could use some help with understanding game mechanics only 5 were interested, 3 of which quit shortly with "I don't have time for this, I want to shoot things not listen about angling, overmatch or other fancy words" altitude.