Sehales

Matchmaker Improvements

49 comments in this topic

[K-G-N]
Players
20 posts
8,109 battles

Dear WG,

Please fix MM/ revert it back to it's previous form. You've taken all the fun out of T8 gamepley. I've played around 10 games at T8 today. All of them consist of all 2 T8's, 1 T9 and s the rest T10 on average. It is not fun to play in a T10 game for a T8 every game. A lot of people, myself included dislike T10's long range staleness and were under the impression this update would match you up to equal tiers or +/-1 tier unless it searches for over 3mins. It's taking me seconds to find games which are heavil skewed to T10 every game. Please fix!

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,052 posts
3,769 battles

It's... peculiar, but for so far I kind of like it. T8 gameplay is as atrocious as ever on EU, but that's gotten little to do with this new MM I think, since I get the same share of T6-7 battles as before. 

However, I'd rather see a mirrored radar/hydro matchmaker. Balance ships that can equip radar evenly across the teams.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,817 posts
6,919 battles
38 minutes ago, Lyno_Lemon said:

Dear WG,

Please fix MM/ revert it back to it's previous form. You've taken all the fun out of T8 gamepley. I've played around 10 games at T8 today. All of them consist of all 2 T8's, 1 T9 and s the rest T10 on average.

Which is nothing new and has next to nothing to do with what they changed - without the mirroring it easily could have be just 1 tier 8 ship with the other one being another 10

40 minutes ago, Lyno_Lemon said:

Please fix!

Please learn what's actually changed

32 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

Balance ships that can equip radar evenly across the teams.

So something like 2 Hsienyangs on one side vs 2 DesMemes on the other one? :Smile_trollface:

[O-R-P]
[O-R-P]
Players
409 posts
23,788 battles

Balancing types and tiers is a good start.

Unfortunally there is something "strange" with MM, something with is caused by some mechanics with WG keeping from players.

Seemingly "fair" MM resulting very often in total annihilation of one team without losses on another side.

Is this just coincidence or its new system colliding with WG "hidden mecanics"-

I know it sounds like conspiracy theory but it seems players with really bad stats miraciulously landing in one team , while theres a lot of good players in opposite team.

Otherwise its no explanation why so many games ends in total slaughter of one team.

Theres another aspect of MM with WG dont want to change wor "unknown" reasons- why we have not +-1 tier spread.

Waiting times?? Thats nonsense, since in night hours theres often less players in cue - with resulting in teams with less than 12 players.

And in most causes battles with 7 on 7 or even 5 on 5 teams are much more fun than bigger ones.

So if we have less players in cue for +-1 tier spread- why not make smaller teams.

Putting tier 5 vs 7 or tier 7 vs 9 and 8 vs 10 is not fun. In many causes single t8 in team filled with t9 or t10 is just a free frag unable to do anything.

( Buy "powerful Ashitaka" - and meet 3x Missouri 2xMusashi and Essex in game.....)

So why SubOctavian keep telling us its "fun and engaging"?

[O-R-P]
[O-R-P]
Players
409 posts
23,788 battles
1 hour ago, Lyno_Lemon said:

Dear WG,

Please fix MM/ revert it back to it's previous form. You've taken all the fun out of T8 gamepley. I've played around 10 games at T8 today. All of them consist of all 2 T8's, 1 T9 and s the rest T10 on average. It is not fun to play in a T10 game for a T8 every game. A lot of people, myself included dislike T10's long range staleness and were under the impression this update would match you up to equal tiers or +/-1 tier unless it searches for over 3mins. It's taking me seconds to find games which are heavil skewed to T10 every game. Please fix!

Dear Lemon

Playing one day on a month giving you perfect view on how MM working...

[ADRIA]
Players
4,817 posts
6,919 battles
3 hours ago, Sadzior said:

Seemingly "fair" MM resulting very often in total annihilation of one team without losses on another side.

Skill is not balanced

if one side ends up with a couple good players and the other side has nothing but potatoes you get the result you described

Nothing more than a coincidence

3 hours ago, Sadzior said:

Theres another aspect of MM with WG dont want to change wor "unknown" reasons- why we have not +-1 tier spread.

"Too little player base"

While it would solve many issues I don't think the +/- 1 is that needed. Definitely nowhere near as much as balancing radars

[BAD-B]
Players
805 posts
2,438 battles
17 hours ago, Lyno_Lemon said:

Dear WG,

THAT aspect of MM has not changed. You'll end up in T10 games as before ... That's the FUN of T8 ships ...

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,586 posts
2,397 battles
17 hours ago, Lyno_Lemon said:

Dear WG,

As others have pointed out, this matchmaking update has only changed the balance between the two teams, ensuring that ships are mirrored by class and tier.

17 hours ago, MrFingers said:

It's... peculiar, but for so far I kind of like it. T8 gameplay is as atrocious as ever on EU, but that's gotten little to do with this new MM I think, since I get the same share of T6-7 battles as before. 

However, I'd rather see a mirrored radar/hydro matchmaker. Balance ships that can equip radar evenly across the teams.

This is something we are looking into and might introduce in future updates, provided that we can see a statistical need for it and can implement it without increasing queue times.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,817 posts
6,919 battles
57 minutes ago, MrConway said:

This is something we are looking into and might introduce in future updates, provided that we can see a statistical need for it and can implement it without increasing queue times.

Well that's exactly the thing - instead of giving one team 4 radars while the other team gets only a middle finger - spreading those same ships that are already in that match just differently between both teams would have no reason to increase queue time, would it now?

And as I pointed out -> ships that can have radar and ships that do have radar - there's a big difference. 2 Hsienyangs and an Edinburgh for 2 DesMemes and a Moskva, for example, would be shoving a fork up where the Sun doesn't shine just like it is now

• Bad 1

[K-G-N]
Players
20 posts
8,109 battles

My point was, since the update, T8 seems have to got worse as a result of the balancing, with more games being more heavily skewed towards T10. And I feel it was an unintended side effect. What was really frustrating me was me finding a game within 5 or 10 seconds repeatedly and it being so badly balanced in terms of tier - I wasn't having this issue before the update. Take in mind that I'm not talking balance between teams which is what the update aimed to fix, I'm talking balanced as in  the mixture of tiers per team. I feel either more T8's/ T9's need to be in the mix (pre-update MM) are required or T8's should not be in the game at all when the large majority are T10.

I might have been very frustrated with the game at the time of posting and was venting my anger as I wasn't having fun in any of my T8 games really. Every other tier seems to be ok/ better maybe.

You know what I mean though don't you? If you take a Bismarck or something and are constantly fight Grosser Kurfursts/ Khabarovsks, etc., you don't enjoy yourself. And Unlike before there seem to be less T8/9 ships in the game so you don't actually have many/ any viable targets to fight in a fair fight.

Balancing the skill of players is a whole other issue and many multiplayer games have this issue. Perhaps MM could look at the amount of time the player has had the game and match the teams (where possible) to that? But that opens a whole new can of worms since do you favour balancing ship types, ship tiers or skill level?

That's my constructive criticism and I really hope you take it onboard as I love this game. Thanks for your time and response.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,817 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, Lyno_Lemon said:

My point was, since the update, T8 seems have to got worse as a result of the balancing, with more games being more heavily skewed towards T10.

well it's not so get rid of that tinfoil hat

Players
93 posts
7,311 battles

The matchmaker change is appreciated, but if there's something I'd like it's to not see 2 tier 8 per team in a game dominated by T9-10. Mirrored or not, that sucks hard for the few Tier 8s. And that applies to tier 5, 6 and 7 as well when uptiered. I understand that if you limit the number of top tiers too much you could get higher queue times for them, but there has to be another solution. For example (random idea, there's surely a reason it won't work), if there's a lot of Tier X in queue, have a 8-10 game with a maximum of 5 T10s (for instance) and throw the rest into a tier X only game.

There's also the infamous mirrored radar/hydro. I can live without that in randoms, but I'd like to see it at least in ranked.

Weekend Tester
802 posts
5,388 battles

Matchmaker improvement? I haven't seen or feel that this new improvement exist in this patch.

Players
4 posts
10,045 battles

Same.... i was quite disapointed.... probably i misread the announcment as i thought we would finaly start playing at same tier.. but nope...

Still 2 tier difference as before.. its so shamefull as everyone recognizes the big diference between 2 tiers, is a hudge gap.. but for sake of quick Matches.. but completly unfair battles, and not fun for the undertier....  continues to get the same problem....

i once in the past stop playing the game because of it.. considering the same... and from the experience of Space battles we could understand the the waiting time, to play same tier it was not unbearable, and even if there are few ppl - 3 possible solutions.:

. 1 tier difference, completely acceptable,

. less ppl at the same battle (like 8/9/10 players each side) or,

. after 90 secs ( or something like that), back to the previous model;

[ADRIA]
Players
4,817 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, Alex_PT said:

Same.... i was quite disapointed.... probably i misread the announcment as i thought we would finaly start playing at same tier.. but nope...

Still 2 tier difference as before..

The change is as simple as they can get, srsly how hard is it to understand it?!

Your team have tier A ship of class B? That means enemies will have tier A ship of class B.

Literally that simple, there's nothing to get wrong there but somehow so many of you still do :fish_palm:

• Bad 1

[BAD-B]
Players
805 posts
2,438 battles
52 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

The change is as simple as they can get, srsly how hard is it to understand it?!

Your team have tier A ship of class B? That means enemies will have tier A ship of class B.

Literally that simple, there's nothing to get wrong there but somehow so many of you still do :fish_palm:

well, the change has very little actual impact considering other important factors that are not considered by MM ... so the only effective change will be longer wait times in queues ...

• Cool 1

[-MM]
[-MM]
Players
461 posts
8,762 battles
6 hours ago, Alex_PT said:

Still 2 tier difference as before.. its so shamefull as everyone recognizes the big diference between 2 tiers, is a hudge gap.. but for sake of quick Matches.. but completly unfair battles, and not fun for the undertier....  continues to get the same problem....

i once in the past stop playing the game because of it.. considering the same... and from the experience of Space battles we could understand the the waiting time, to play same tier it was not unbearable, and even if there are few ppl - 3 possible solutions.:

. 1 tier difference, completely acceptable,

. less ppl at the same battle (like 8/9/10 players each side) or,

. after 90 secs ( or something like that), back to the previous model;

2 tier difference is perfectly fine (in WoWS) and was stated to not go away several times now.

So far I like the new MM a even DD count and tiering helps quite a lot.

• Bad 1

Players
4 posts
10,045 battles
On 30/04/2018 at 7:48 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

The problem is not the concept of the new MM... its better now.... but the thing that is behind this Stubborn impression that 2 tiers are not a big deal...

PPl who usual say this is because are playing t10s most of the time or playing with OP ships that dosent care about undertier, like you two guys in your Kamikaze R, lol, or even I when play with Asashio...

But if you play other DDs and are growing and painfull researching the next one, retraining your captain and so on.... you actualy have a hudge problem!!

MM dosent take that in account...  and its unfair, and NOT fun for the undertier player, whatever you may say...

So if back in time the problem with CVs was fixed by just puting players of the  same tier , in battle, why not reduce the 2 tier diference to one, do you think thats worst ?? Realy ?

Or you gona say as a lame excuse, it makes queue time longer?? because even if it does, for a few seconds, = makes a BETTER GAME!!!! dont you think thats worthy ??

• Boring 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,817 posts
6,919 battles
37 minutes ago, Admiral_Noif said:

So WG, you call this as "improvement"?

image.thumb.png.82857e753597d50e5147902cd938f386.pngS

A CV sat in the queue for (probably) more than 5 minutes without finding a match. Finally another CV entered so MM just made whatever game it could stick together. Overflow of BBs = game full of BBs. Just as easily this could have been something like a 3v3 game.

Nothing new, this has been a thing always. Especially if you try playing during the night

I'll also point out how you're pretty much whining about "too many BBs in the game" (that's your point about the "bad MM" there, isn't it?) while playing a BB yourself.

• Bad 1

Weekend Tester
802 posts
5,388 battles
19 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I'll also point out how you're pretty much whining about "too many BBs in the game" (that's your point about the "bad MM" there, isn't it?) while playing a BB yourself.

:Smile_facepalm: When was I whining about too many BBs? You must mix me into another person here in the forum.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,817 posts
6,919 battles
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Noif said:

:Smile_facepalm: When was I whining about too many BBs? You must mix me into another person here in the forum.

1 hour ago, Admiral_Noif said:

So WG, you call this as "improvement"?

image.thumb.png.82857e753597d50e5147902cd938f386.pngS

Ok, lets say you didn't complain about those 10v9 BBs there. What was your "bad MM" complain about then? Or are you actually incapable of connecting your own post with an answer to it?

• Angry 1

Players
2 posts
9,813 battles

Actually I'm really struggling with the new MM. It is like in 95% of the matches I'm in the team that really gets destroyed with NO chance at all. If it would be in 50% of the cases. But it is like I'm (as an average player) always in the loosing team. This is no fun at all. The MM before was not good, but not as worse as now. If WG wants to get rid of all the average players: this is the way. But we also bought premium ships. This, WG you can FORGET as long as I'm experience a EDIT MM like the current one. 

GOOD-BYE ... I'm out.

Edited by Kampa1987
Vulgarism

[OFFS]
Players
127 posts
21,924 battles

shot-18_05.03_05_43.26-0062.jpg.d5b6d32eab9088a7aa5c82f911beacdb.jpg Improved Matchmaker ?  

Or improved protectionism for WG wallet-warriors ?

Shouldn't the same type ships be split between the 2 teams according to WG statement about the new MM ? (that would have been 1 Asashio and 2 Bismarcks in each team)

As it seems, if the 3 min are past then the MM just trashes whatever has concocted till then and goes berserk. (and I am not sure the battle was set in more than 3 min