Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
pompeyrk

Captains

7 comments in this topic

Question

[5HITS]
[5HITS]
Players
19 posts
7,449 battles

Ive yet to come across a captain that is not white or asian  , so my question is are there any black captains in the game ?

6 answers to this question

[ETD5]
Players
295 posts
1,640 battles

I don't thinks so. Also, during that era I doubt that there was any black captain on any world Navy. I googled a little bit and on US Navy, during WWII only a destroyer and a submarine had crew compossed largely by african american and is not stated that their captains were african american... so this could be the main reason why you do not found any on the game.

[5HITS]
[5HITS]
Players
19 posts
7,449 battles

were there many school girls and space men ?

[ETD5]
Players
295 posts
1,640 battles
6 hours ago, pompeyrk said:

were there many school girls and space men ?

Are you telling me that when you try to change the aspect of a captain you get a school girl or a space captain? This is new for me...

In other order of things, space captains are related to a temporary event for april fools and they will dissapear. The school girls are related to events that you can't avoid doing completing. They are in the game because some colaborations that allowed WG to promote world of warships and increase the playerbase (increasing the playerbase of WOWs is very important, look the amount of effort they are doing with their YT channel, for example).

Also, with update 0.7.4 you'll be able to sell all these captains and also their related ships and not see them anymore.

Quality Poster
1,676 posts
8,633 battles

No, there appear to be no portraits that fulfil those criteria in the game and arguably for historic reasons.

Latin-American or Hispanic captains would be an option, since Spain and the ABC-countries in South America had dreadnoughts, some of which were very impressive at the time of completion.

I can't rule out the possibility that some Brazilian officers were of African descent, as certainly some of their sailors were.

There was even a famous revolt, the Revolt of the Lash, involving the brand new dreadnought Minas Gerais, something which had been planned even during her construction.

That revolt was an act by the Afro-Brazilian crewmembers against corporeal punishment perpetrated against them.

However this would also suggest that they were not in positions of power at the time, so presumably they weren't part of the officer corps, or not in large numbers at least.

Maybe things had changed by WW2, but I can't find any sources on that.

In the US, African-American sailors and petty officers served during WW2, but at the time, the armed forces were still largely segregated, so officers would have been white.

As a matter of fact, I just checked on Wikipedia, so with the caveat that this is from Wikipedia, the first African-American officer in command of a warship was Samuel L. Gravely Jr., but only as late as the Vietnam War.

The U.S. Armed forces were not desegregated until after WW2.

I do think it would be neat if WG included him, if there is no issue with having to ask for permission, or at least one portrait to represent this group.

Sign in to follow this