Clash of the Elements Event rigged by WG - magical points to make the losing team seem losing less

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

eliastion #1 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

Midshipman

• Players

Sounds like tinfoil theory, doesn't it?

Thing is, however, that WG apparently failed so hard with making balanced teams, that te only way they found to make it look less disastrous was... to cheat. The cheating became apparent due to maintenance downtime - the servers went down for update but the COTE counters... didn't.

And - behold the miracle - team Water apparently has their own backup server because while team fire's, say, aggregated damage remained the same steady 37 626 620 784 for the whole time I've been writing this post - the same can't be said about team water. Despite servers being down these guys somehow managed to score quite a few thousand damage in the meantime!

Wanted to give a comparison of the exact values but, unfortunately, right as I was done writing the rest and started writing down the number, they both ticked for the first time in a while, meaning (probably) that matches resumed and the artificial points once again drowned in the flood of real ones.

However, I've heard that some people did manage to take screenshots of the counters - would much appreciate if they link them here to show this miracle of point creation. I'm pretty sure WG owes us an explanation of WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO  BE.

I could understand many questionable ways to balance the event like, say, denial of ability to join winning team if it's also more numerous. This would, in essence, be a way to create as even teams as possible. What they did, however, wasn't an attempt at having Water team be less disadvantaged - it was outright rigging where the points accumulated no longer represent the reality because WG added some points of their own. Frankly, I probably wouldn't have believed if I haven't seen it with my on two eyes how only one counter was updating...

It was cheating, plain and simple. Not even WG-sanctioned cheating. Not WG-allowed cheating. It's an event where supposedly the players accumulate points... only they don't because WG can add their own points, or - why not - subtract the points from one team or even just set whatever point values they want. We wouldn't even notice if all numbers were just updating according to some slightly randomized algorithm without player contribution counting at all!

Fortunately for us, the update happened and WGs approach to cheating was so primitive that it became apparent as the servers went down. So, I have a question, what WG has to say about this.

And, since I'm no expert on the matter, I have a further question, namely: is such a thing even legal? I don't think it is, seeing how WG created an event, described the rules and then broke them.

Edited by eliastion, 20 April 2017 - 07:44 AM.

eliastion #2 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

Midshipman

• Players

Courtesy to p3rh4n4 who posted here :

Spoiler
Spoiler

Do take a look at the clock in bottom right corner of each screenshot.

Tungstonid #3 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Tester

I already posted in the other thread that I feel it is a shame and all it does is taking away the trust (as little as it might already be) players have in WG. There could have been other ways to balance uneven teams but to just add a more or less random point addition even during server downtime is just... indescribable. I am usually against always bashing WG for how they do events but right now it feels there is nothing really that speaks for this one anymore.

View Posteliastion, on 20 April 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

And, since I'm no expert on the matter, I have a further question, namely: is such a thing even legal? I don't think it is, seeing how WG created an event, described the rules and then broke them.

Well, they never excluded any intervention from their side, did they? They just said that players add points to the counters of their teams.

I won't judge you by your stats in the first place but by your answer to the question: "Will you stay down and swallow that blood in your mouth. Or do you gonna stand up and go spill theirs?"

If you are interested in WoWS music videos, check out my Youtube channel.

Some ideas about how to fix and improve the replay system.

44smok #4 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

As comrade Stalin once said: It doesn't matter who votes. What matters is who counts the votes.

"We go in do dem KABOOM and win EZ"

R3dBaron #5 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

Seaman

• Beta Tester

Do not forget that the guys who rigged the event numbers are the same that ban people for cheating in-game...

Smeggo #6 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Midshipman

• Players

Wasn't that the same in GNB? The numbers are not updated permanently - they just count from time to time, compute a direction and update according to these between the actual counting.

If you like to division up in coop, I invite you to our clan [PVE]   :honoring:

eliastion #7 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:51 AM

Midshipman

• Players

View PostTungstonid, on 20 April 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

Well, they never excluded any intervention from their side, did they? They just said that players add points to the counters of their teams.

Well, the Event announcement post includes the line:

Team progress is a sum of the progress of all players in the team.

So I'd say that yes, that implicitly excludes any source of points other than progress of players playing for the team...

eliastion #8 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

Midshipman

• Players

View PostSmeggo, on 20 April 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Wasn't that the same in GNB? The numbers are not updated permanently - they just count from time to time, compute a direction and update according to these between the actual counting.

And for a whole hour - with no matches going on - one team gets a constant stream of points while the other... just doesn't?

Tungstonid #9 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Tester

View Posteliastion, on 20 April 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Well, the Event announcement post includes the line:

Team progress is a sum of the progress of all players in the team.

So I'd say that yes, that implicitly excludes any source of points other than progress of players playing for the team...

That might be true but it doesn't say so in the "About Contest" section as far as I can see. WG's game, WG's rules. And "illegal" in a juristic way is wrong anyway.

Well, not here to defend this ... mechanic, so I'll leave it at that. Not that I look like an apologist. :hiding:

I won't judge you by your stats in the first place but by your answer to the question: "Will you stay down and swallow that blood in your mouth. Or do you gonna stand up and go spill theirs?"

If you are interested in WoWS music videos, check out my Youtube channel.

Some ideas about how to fix and improve the replay system.

R3dBaron #10 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

Seaman

• Beta Tester

Mulder: What can I do about a Lie with an Official Seal on it? (from X-Files)

Admiral_H_Nelson #11 Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

Midshipman

• Players

[edited]

Edited by RogDodgeUK, 23 April 2017 - 02:24 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content (image size far too big). RogDodgeUK

Monopolies are bad because people get bad service for high prices.  Competition is good because people get good service for competitive prices.
Timothy C. Draper              (...and Wargaming is a monopoly)

R3dBaron #12 Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

Seaman

• Beta Tester

Unfortunately, these type of events have been a constant failure in many games, not only here. It seems some people never learn...

The only way of guaranteeing a fair chance of balance is for the gaming company to assign a new player participating in the event to the side with smaller numbers until both sides are even.

Quetak #13 Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Players

there is some skilled hacker in blue team I guess, just few more hours and water will win :popcorn:

Edited by Quetak, 20 April 2017 - 08:02 AM.

MaxxyNL #14 Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • In AlfaTesters

I am totally not surprised this happened. :facepalm:

R3dBaron #15 Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Seaman

• Beta Tester

The only problem was having the servers down for the update, so the FIRE side couldn't add any points due to servers unavailability while WATER was being pumped up...

Measures will be taken to avoid event rigging with servers down.

Chiledip #16 Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

Petty Officer

• Players

What a terrible company. no integrity, not to be trusted!

TheCinC #17 Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

Midshipman

• Beta Tester

Well, they did say they were going to monitor the situation and act accordingly, did they every say they wouldn't meddle?
Seriously, we'll never know if this is true because they'd never acknowledge it.

*sigh*

If only they'd acted once people pointed out the flaws in this contest, instead of just..

Never mind, I don't even care..

Just another drop in a bucket.

I didn't even bother to register for the contest, don't want to get drawn into yet another grindfest for a prize I already have.

Let me just refer back to all my previous posts asking for better communication and improvement in dealing with WoWs players, especially on EU server.

Once they do that, they can have my money again, until then, thanks for the free game, you can have some money for HMS Hood, but that is it.

If you're gonna run this game into the ground, I am definitely not going to pay you for it if I can avoid it.

*goes back to playing the French cruiser line*

Current status: disappointed. We don't need no RPF/Radio Location!

Make WoWs great again! Add your own suggestions, or read and vote, here.:izmena:

Want to know how you can help your team to achieve victory? Or do you think you already know how to help your team to achieve victory? Click here for tips & tricks, or to add your own!

Jethro_Grey #18 Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

Midshipman

• Players

How sad is it, when a joke about botched and obvious rigging becomes reality in such a obvious and in-your-face way, that it makes the entire thing look...bizarre.

If i'd put up a poll, how many would accidently vote: "i did not expect this at all":trollface:

But since i am a nice guy, i will wait until they found the bug that caused the blue team to gain so many points during the down time of the server, where nobody could actually play. It may be possible after all, that this is just a IT related fuckup. ^^

You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here.

Remember, remember the 23rd of December WGS Xmas Convoy shaft, EU Server catering plot; I see no reason why Xmas Convoy shaft treason should ever be forgot.

SaxonHoliday #19 Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

Leading Rate

• Players

Honestly, that someone was rigging the numbers is pretty much 98% guaranteed. There is also the possibility that a counter got fucked up, but that should be unlikely.

Still, I don't really care. The prize for winning is just a flag and a handful of camos anyway. The real prize is the Kamikaze R, which no one with a life is ever going to get thanks to the insane amount of grinding required.

Ships in port: ShiratsuyuShimakaze, Kamikaze, Shinonome, Fletcher, Gearing, Ognevoi, Kiev, Leningrad, V-170, Kuma, ARP Ashigara, ARP Haguro, Southern Dragon, ARP Takao, Cleveland, Budyonny, Nürnberg, Prinz Eugen, Leander, Belfast, Ishizuchi, ARP Kongou, ARP Hiei, ARP Haruna, Izumo, Wyoming, Alabama, Missouri, Bayern, Tirpitz, Warspite, Ryuujou

Currently grinding: JP BB line, US CA line, KM CA line

Picafort #20 Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Tester

The prize or the value of the prize is not relevant.

What matters is that Wargaming is very obviously providing numbers and information that

clearly do not have anything to do with facts.

So they are right now losing every credibility that might have been left.

Even more sad that it is because of such an unimportant event.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users