USS Wichita - T8 ship proposal

CA USN USS Wichita Trainspite piritskenyer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

piritskenyer #1 Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Supertester

Hi gents!

As you may have guessed it from the title, today's proposed/discussed ship is going to be *drumroll* the USS Wichita. This ship review and Game Implementation Proposal (gonna coin the term as GIMP) is brought to you by Trainspite and myself. Again a lot of research and knowledge credit goes to him. 

The way we'll do things is this: we're going to review the ship's historical background and then we'll look at the possibility of her implementation into the game in two ways: as a reg and as a prem ship.

Let us begin.

Posted Image

Wichita firing her guns in 1945. Here you can also see the unique secondary battery layout. - Picture credit: navsource.com

Hístorical background

"Well, Toast, this is nice and dandy, but how does that translate into the game?" - I hear you ask. Well, fret not, here's what we concocted up with Trainspite:

Wichita in her Atlantic camouflage from 1942, this would be her premium camouflage wether she appears as a prem or a reg - picture credit: shipbucket.com

Regular fit datasheet - 3-hull version. Caution, walls of dry text.

Line drawing of USS Wichita of how she appeared in 1945

So here we are. Overall a pretty strong looking ship. I hope you like it.

At least half the credits go to Trainspite, as mentioned aready.

Sources:

www.world-war.co.uk

navweaps.com

navsource.com

shipbucket.com

Edited by piritskenyer, 24 July 2016 - 10:08 PM.

"Friendly torpedos aren't."

Arguing with [stupid] people on the internet

Common projects with Trainspite:

Wichita proposal  Pensacola rework

T_H_0_R #2 Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

Midshipman

• Players

I'll just quote Dropsiq here: "give it to me already!" :D

Nicely done. Love the mix of old pre war and later designs incorporated in the Balmer.

VC381 #3 Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

Midshipman

• Players

Nice summary, although I'm thinking she's unique enough to make her a premium (on the assumption more premiums are significantly more likely than a whole new branch). How do you justify the 17km range BTW? 1.2km more than Baltimore?!

piritskenyer #4 Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

Lieutenant

• Supertester

View PostVC381, on 25 July 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

Nice summary, although I'm thinking she's unique enough to make her a premium (on the assumption more premiums are significantly more likely than a whole new branch). How do you justify the 17km range BTW? 1.2km more than Baltimore?!

How do I justify it?

Gameplay wise by the fact that the US CA line is one of, or the only CA line that is a pure gun line with no torpedoes at all over a certain point. They also got out-powercreep'd by both new lines, so I think a rangebuff over the entire US CA line would be justified. US cruisers in game are one of the slowest, so they can't even catch up easily with the ships they should be killing. TL;DR: they are handicapped in that department anyway. 

Historically the justification is that the USN had very good firecontrol over all its ships with radar-guided firecontrol that could provide target data over long distances. 

Dropsiq #5 Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:23 AM

Król krążowników

• Community Contributor

Block Quote

I'll just quote Dropsiq here: "give it to me already!" :D

GIB!

On the side note - yeah, Wichita would make a nice premium. She's a little less known then the rest of the US cruisers, and would make a great tier VIII premium. Unfortunately, the way the US CA are implemented, tier VIII is pretty lackluster. That would mean, that Wichita would be either straight up better then New Orleans, which is not exactly fair and good idea, or it would be same/worse, which means it would occupy bottom levels of might in CA family. Both of those possibilities are not exactly what I would look forward too :D 

But I would buy it, that's for sure :D

Mój kanał na Twitchu -> 
https://www.twitch.tv/dropsiq

piritskenyer #6 Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Supertester

View PostDropsiq, on 25 July 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

GIB!

On the side note - yeah, Wichita would make a nice premium. She's a little less known then the rest of the US cruisers, and would make a great tier VIII premium. Unfortunately, the way the US CA are implemented, tier VIII is pretty lackluster. That would mean, that Wichita would be either straight up better then New Orleans, which is not exactly fair and good idea, or it would be same/worse, which means it would occupy bottom levels of might in CA family. Both of those possibilities are not exactly what I would look forward too :D 

But I would buy it, that's for sure :D

It would be pretty hard to make her worse than NO IMO:sceptic: I'm really not impressed by the New Orleans, so Wichita would be better fo sho.

VC381 #7 Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

Midshipman

• Players

In the context of a range buff to the whole US CA line, which indeed makes historical sense, then yes 17km would be good.

Dropsiq #8 Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

Król krążowników

• Community Contributor

Well, we have Indianapolis which is just better Pensacola, so... yeah, I think we would get just better NO, or worse Balti.

Mój kanał na Twitchu -> 
https://www.twitch.tv/dropsiq

Affeks #9 Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:26 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Tester

edit: nvm

Edited by Affeks, 29 August 2016 - 03:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users