The Gorch Fock is a rigged as a barque sail training vessel, which was built in 1933 by Blohm & Voss for the Navy and named after the writer Gorch Fock. From 1951 to the early 1990s, the ship sailed under the name Tovarishch (Comrade, Russian for comrade) in the Soviet Navy. Currently it is the German association "Tall Ship Friends" owned ship since 2003 in Stralsund. The Gorch Fock is the lead ship of a class of six sailing ships, to which in 1958 built the same sail training ship of the German navy belongs.To distinguish the ships are sometimes in brackets construction, or in brackets attached 1 or 2, but not ready for the ship's name.
German Reich and Navy
The client was the German Imperial Navy (Navy from 1935), on 26 a substitute for the July 1932 required by a Gewitterböe capsized sail training ship Niobe. Under the number 495, the building was on the 2nd December 1932 given by Blohm & Voss in order. The League of German fleet women and the German Navy League had proposed a "people's donation Niobe", which was used for the construction.
After 100 days of construction, the ship was on the 3rd May 1933 baptized in the name of the Hamburg Maritime poet and Gorch Fock was launched. The patron was the chairman of the Federation of German Women's fleet, Marie Frohlich, held the naming ceremony speech of his term chief of the Navy, Admiral Erich Raeder.
On 27 June 1933, the Gorch Fock has been put into service. First commander was Captain Raul Mewes. Nine officers and 56 noncommissioned officers / teams formed the crew. The ship had room for 198 cadets. Various training runs led the ship and abroad. A delegation of the Gorch Fock was, inter alia, on 13 August 1934 attended the memorial service for the fallen in November 1917, German U-boat crew from SM UC 57th On the Finnish island Hamnskär to a celebration took place with unveiling of a memorial.
On 27 March 1935 took over the command Lieutenant Commander August Thiele and from 7 November 1935, the Gorch Fock sailing under the new imperial war flag. Homeport was Stralsund. In December 1936, joined the ship's command to Lieutenant Commander Bernhard Rogge, in March 1938 to Commander Otto Kahler, of the sail training ship led to the beginning of the second world war in 1939.
Since 1939, the Gorch Fock and her two sister ships Horst Wessel and Albert Leo Schlageter were mainly used as stationary barges and only changing as training vessels. Thus, the Gorch Fock, 1942 in Swinoujscie and in April 1944 was in Kiel as an accommodation ship. On 24 April 1944, the Gorch Fock transferred in drag from Kiel to Ruegen. Lauterbach before the anchor was thrown. Commander of the ship on which was now again the training started, was Lieutenant Wilhelm Kahle. The ship was under the 1st Ship parent regiment in Stralsund. The two sister ships sailed for training purposes, the Baltic Sea and the Bay of Greifswald. On 1 October 1944, the Gorch Fock was hauled into the Stralsund harbor, because of poor heating facilities, the vessel was heated from a steam barge and later by a locomotive.
In the spring of 1945 approached, the troops of the Soviet Army Stralsund. The barque was on 9 March 1945 towed out of the harbor to a mooring off the peninsula Drigge. Is still unclear why the boat has not been used for the installation of troops to the west.
On 27 April 1945, the ship was decommissioned and partially dismantled. The equipment was stored in the boathouse on the Dänholm. On board the ship only a small crew remained under the leadership of Karl Oberbootsmannsmaat Köhnke. Probably at a briefing on 29 April 1945, on the approach of the Red Army and chaotic conditions in Stralsund and in all roads have been identified, a decision was the sinking of the Gorch Fock, in order not to leave the Soviet Army. On 30 April 1945 was a advance party of the Soviet army in sight of the Gorch Fock before Devin. About 12.30 clock this day, a fire was made by standing on height Devin Soviet tanks. The Gorch Fock received during the 45-minute bombardment three shellfire, with rigging and hull were damaged. From the German side on the morning of the same day explosives had been brought on board. This was ignited by fuses, and the sinking took place at 14 o `clock.The Gorch Fock was now on position 54 ° 17 '28 "N, 13 ° 8' 22" E in Stralsund, with masts still visible.
As Towarischtsch in Soviet merchant marine
After the war ended, the Gorch Fock was awarded as reparation of the Soviet Union. The order for the ship lift was the Stralsund company "B. Perennial salvage ship "and the rescue costs were estimated at 450,000 Reichsmarks. The ship should be salvaged contrary to previous practice, with masts. In March 1947, we began work.
Since the company was not the small Stralsunder tasks grew, they started on 12 May 1947 specifically the "salvage office" as a local company in Stralsund. In June 1947, the ship was finally lifted. It was brought to Stralsund and cleaned, the inventory was being brought on board a barge and later sunk in the Bay of Greifswald. The total cost of recovery and purification were ultimately RM 800,000. In the fall of 1947, the ship in the Neptun Shipyard in Rostock was transferred. There and in Wismar was the repair. In Wismar, the ship was awarded in September 1949, the name of Towarischtsch (Товарищ, in German: "comrade" or "comrade").
On 15 June 1951 it was declared as a sail training ship of the Soviet Navy with home port on the Dnepr River in Cherson service. The Towarischtsch undertook a world tour in 1957 and won in 1974 and 1976 respectively, the Operation Sail.
Ukrainian merchant navy
After the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991 the ship was transferred to the ownership of Ukraine and its merchant marine, but was deactivated in 1993 for lack of funds. In 1995, she sailed for the last time, this time from Cherson to Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where private sponsors wanted to repair the ship. The venture failed because of the high cost.
1999 finally became the Towarischtsch, now housed in relatively poor condition, with the support of the German association "Tall Ship Friends' Association to Wilhelmshaven, where she served as flagship of the Expo 2000 at sea.
Swimming museum and a new beginning
After the last berth of the Gorch Fock, Stralsund was to 1945, she went back there in 2003 and now lies in the port city of Stralsund on the so-called "ballast box" anchor.
In 2003 the club bought "Tall Ship Friends," the ship of the Ukrainian Ministry of Education. The Lord Mayor of Hamburg, Harald Lastovka and maritime journalist Peer Schmidt-Walter had given a commitment that the Gorch Fock again "in her old home port" Moors, an offer that the club hatte.Nach also assumed previously four-year repairs in Wilhelmshaven in October 2003 she was transferred to the dock ship Condock V to Stralsund, the transportation cost was 100,000 Euro.In Volkswerft was the floating security is restored and the ship 29 November 2003 by the Stralsunderin Rosemarie Schmidt-Walter, in the presence of a grandson of its founder, and thousands of Stralsund to its old name getauft.Der owners organization "Tall Ship Friends" was based on a financial need of several million euros to put the ship back in service to, however, was confident of bringing together the money through donations and entrance fees. In addition to the costs required for repair and restoration, the problem is that the Gorch Fock with their length of well over 55 meters due to current law does not (under the rules of the traditional vessel regulation, but only as a ship under regular conditions of the International Maritime Organization IMO) could be back in service.
In 2004 began the repair and restoration work, the Friends of Gorch Fock taught with job creation programs of the Federal Employment Agency, one a ship museum on board, all the cabins in the tween decks were removed, disposed of unserviceable equipment and a caboose new aufgebaut.Die Gorch Fock was the number 3675 eingetragen.2005 the German shipping register with home port of Stralsund was the engine room completely cleared out and there were four auxiliary diesel engines with 180 hp angeschafft.Im 2005 the dismantling work was completed, 37,000 people visited the ship. In November 2008, the ship on the People Stralsund was checked for blemishes. 200 square meters of steel were used to fix the file below and above the water line, the paint on the hull was renewed. In November 2009, began with the renovation of the deck of the Gorch Fock. Of the 250 square meter deck cabin (the rear, elevated deck) 60 square meters were replaced with new steel plates.
In March 2010, the dismantling of the 82-meter vessel was visible progress, in addition, the ship was re-equip to take it then back to full operation. Sought for the operation in the first step will be a driving license under the German flag for the Baltic Sea, which is possible, according to the GL and the See-BG, as was the class applied for admission. For the completion of daily operations and the driving license around four million euros are needed. In the second step, with the recovery of costs of day trips in the Baltic Sea for the operating costs, is to be further expansion of the ship for overnight trips with trainees, for which around three million euros have been estimated.
Visitor numbers were in 2011 fell sharply compared to the previous year, in summer 2011, 10,000 people visited the ship less than last year, which meant a reduction in revenues of EUR 40,000.
Whether the "old lady" back in set sail or remain stationary in the city port of Stralsund, depends therefore on whether the necessary funds can be brought in, at least for the initial planning step. In addition to the pecuniary interest ship survey therefore also "Riggtrainings" carried out and rented the space on board for events and celebrations. In addition, the ship serves as a venue for civil marriages and subsequent marriages.
Gorch Fock (1958)
The Gorch Fock, in the literature regularly referred to as the Gorch Fock II, is a rigged as a barque sail training ship of the German Navy.
By January 2011, according to official statistics put the ship back 741,106 miles. Here at 439 port visits were 180 different ports started and visited over 60 territories on all continents.
The ship was on 24 February 1958 Keel-laying. Like the first Gorch Fock of the Empire navy it was built by Blohm & Voss. This follows from the destruction of the Pamir were 1957 strong controversy among the public and decision-making bodies on completion and commissioning of the ship, it was, among other things, the appropriateness of a sailing ship for modern military tasks questioned.
The launch took place on 23 August 1958. It was Rudolf Kinau, the brother of the fallen during the Battle of Jutland on the SMS Wiesbaden Gorch Fock, the naming ceremony speech in Low German. Baptism itself took Rudolf Kinaus daughter Ulli Kinau. On 17 December 1958 the sail training ship has been permanently in service. On 3 August 1959 was the Gorch Fock of Kiel from their first trip abroad. The ship was in the course of the coming years as the "ambassador of Germany" is known worldwide. In 1964 it represented Germany at the World Fair in New York. In 1974, the Gorch Fock visited as part of the Tall Ship Regatta Copenhagen Gdynia as the first warship of the German Navy a Polish port. The same applies to the visit to the Yugoslav port of Split in 1977. In August 1976, she was at the sailing regatta on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the United States declared the winner, since they canceled due to a lull in the most forward lay.
1985 and 1991 there were a number of reconstructions and 2000/2001 dockyard a longer time, so some training runs were made with the chartered to Norwegian Statsraad Lehmkuhl. In 2012, repairs were necessary for some ten million euros, although the ship was overhauled in 2010.
The ship is under the German Naval Academy Mürwik, home port keel.
All cadets of the military service and the medical officer cadet in the German Navy are trained as part of training trips abroad, as well as the officers of the "maritime service" (using number 11). A crew of 83 people can manage up to 138 trainees. The crew consists of 11 officers, including meteorologist and ship's surgeon, 14 non-commissioned officers with sword knot, 35 commissioned officers and 23 enlisted degrees zusammen.Die training the Navy cadets on the Gorch Fock is investigated continuously since 2005 scientific.
The training will educate especially the teamwork of the soldiers and give first experiences with the situation at sea. The other, more technically and operationally oriented training of the OA was until its decommissioning in 1990 took on the training ship Germany and has since been mostly on the destroyer units (now Flotilla 2) performed. During her trips to all parts of the world, the Gorch Fock is also the representation of the Federal Republic of Germany and its navy. She was, for example, in 1974 the first warship of the German Navy, and thus the first part of the Bundeswehr troops that visited after the end of World War II with Gdansk in Poland is a country of the former Warsaw Pact.
Due to an accident during 156./157. Training trip abroad, where on 7 November 2010, a 25-year officer aspirant died after falling from the rigging, and a letter from the Military Commissioner Hellmut royal house of the Defence Committee of the German Bundestag, which refers in particular to this fatal crash, was the training company unterbrochen.Eine commission with Karl-Dietrich Haase was ordered on board to investigate this and other issues. The commander Norbert Schatz was in January 2011 temporarily of his obligations. Entbunden.Für the transfer of the vessel to Germany was his predecessor, Captain Michael Brühn, used as an absence representation The Marine Commission found no wrongdoing treasure '. At his own request versa treasure not go back to the command post, his successor as the resumption of the training company in August 2012 Helge Risch.
The Gorch Fock is built to the same plans as the subsequent sister ships of the first Gorch Fock, which turned out a bit larger. However, the safety standards after the sinking of the Pamir were improved significantly.
The steel hull of the ship is designed to be smooth with extended poop-deck and back. The rig consists of the two front poles jib or mainsail, double-Mars and a simple and a Royal topgallant sails, the mizzen mast is designed as a pile with 2 superimposed gaff sails. The mast is in foretop 45 m, 44.90 m and in the United Topp Besantopp at 39.80 m, in each case calculated on water. Her 23 sails are as follows: 10 yard, 6-Stag, 4 headsails, 2 and 1 Besane Besantoppsegel, the respective lengths are at Spier jib and main yard 24 m, the bowsprit measures 18.8 m, of which 8.9 front of the bow, and the Besanbaum 16.4 m. The 1958-built ship is largely identical to the 1933-built Gorch Fock. To distinguish the ships are sometimes in brackets the year or a number in brackets attached, but not part of the ship's name. This also applies to the prefix SSS for sail training vessel, which appears regularly in the literature. Both ships are named after the writer Gorch Fock.
The Gorch Fock was on his way home from the 62nd Overseas training cruise under the command of Captain Horst Helmut wind in the marine English Channel / North Sea in south-west gale of 17 to 18 1980 November one-hour period (within the not always exactly 24 hours distance covered) made of 323 nautical miles and was able to surpass the pre-existing record for displacement sailing ships in the waters around seven nautical miles. 17 knots at times while driving were measured above ground.
Gorch Fock song
Since the 1960s, the ship has its own Gorch-Fock-song that was composed by the late commander Hans Freiherr von Stackelberg. Two lines of the text address the harsh reality training:
"The boatman is not always pleasant / feared is also some Maat / and is also close to her often quite uncomfortable / the heart is but every
They leave the home port.
They meet the "Köln" and the "Sachsen" (German frigates) in the Atlantic.
Sorry the videos are in German, but they show the training/live on the ship!
I have it in the theme "Modern warships" posted because the Gorch Fock working today offiziell for the German navy!
And as you can see in the first video at 7:40 in the flag on the right side one notch , that means "Battleship".
Edited by Jann336, 18 October 2012 - 12:21 PM.