On 28 June 1947 "United Nations" representatives convened at Tokyo to allocate, by drawing lots, ships of the former Imperial Japanese Navy as war compensation. Yukikaze happened to be the first pick of the Chinese representative.
Lucky Chinese captain draws the lucky ship
Yukikaze reached Shangai on 3 July 1947 and she was formally handed over on 6 July 1947, at that time she was identified as "Pick n°1" (接1), she was renamed Tan Yang (DD-12) on 1 May 1948, becoming the flagship of the ROC Navy.
Like all Japanese warships Yukikaze was completely demilitarised when she was handed over to the Chinese authorities and she was initially used only as a training vessel inside the harbour, but after the defeat of the KMT in late 1948 she evacuated from Shangai to Keelung (Taiwan), Chiang Kai-shek himself was on board at the time.
After her evacuation to Keelung it was finally decided to re-arm Tan Yang with old Japanese equipment; she received two 12.7 cm/40 Type 89 guns in twin mount (in place of the original A turret), four 10 cm/65 Type 98 guns in twin mounts (in place of the original X and Y turrets) and eight 25mm guns; the Type 89 and Type 98 guns were most likely scavenged from shore mounts and they were installed on ad-hoc assembled turrets, different from the ones used by the IJN.
Chiang Kai-shek reviewing Tang Yan, note the aft 100mm guns
After the completion of her re-arming Tan Yang led a visit to the Philippines in August 1953 and soon after that she enforced a blockade around the coasts of the PRC, intercepting a Polish tanker and a Soviet transport.
Intercepting a Soviet transport ship