Enabling Replays in World of Warships

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Brynd #1 Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

Veteran

• Players

Captains! :great:

Looking to record your best moments on the oceans and revisit them later? Here's an interesting trick! While we do not have a replay function implemented in the in-game interface, it is already accessible – it just needs a bit of extra work.

DISCLAIMER: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. BACKUP THE INVOLVED FILE!

How to enable and use Replays!

To turn the replays ON, you have to:

1. Close the game client.

2. BACKUP preferences.xml file found in the game folder.

3. Open the original preferences.xml for editing

4. Find the line that says:

</scriptsPreferences>

5. Paste these lines before </scriptsPreferences>

​         <isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

<ReplayCameraUpdate> 30 </ReplayCameraUpdate>

6. This is what the result should look like:

<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

</scriptsPreferences>

7. Save the game file and launch the client

8. Enjoy the game!

To run the replay:

1. Find replay in the \replays folder inside the game folder
  2. Close the game client
  3. After closing the game, drag and drop *.wowreplay file on the icon of WorldOfWarships.exe Note: You have to be using the same version of the game. Replays will not work with different version of game than was used to record them.

Replay controls:

'Insert' & 'Delete' for playing speed control
 'End' for pause (which is actually x100 slower speed)
 'Home' for normal speed
 'LMB' for toggling camera direction between free & recorded
 '>' & '<' for fast-forward & rewind (can be used together with 'Ctrl')

We would appreciate your feedback, both on the replays and their use and on the Free Camera mode – the good and the bad. Looking forward to your videos!

twitterqxkfa.pngfacebook65yzk.png

Popov #2 Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

Leading Rate

• Beta Tester

Or download Aslans mode collection, tick the appropriate box and have it done for you.......just saying :B 

MechBuster #3 Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

Seaman

• Beta Tester

This doesn't work. I tried it twice, but when I open WoWs, it seems to reset my preferences.xml file back to its original state.

Any suggestions?

mtm78 #4 Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View PostPopov, on 07 July 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Or download Aslans mode collection, tick the appropriate box and have it done for you.......just saying :B 

Aslains mod installer is currently bugged, replay function doesn't work when applying with the installer.

View PostMechBuster, on 14 July 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

This doesn't work. I tried it twice, but when I open WoWs, it seems to reset my preferences.xml file back to its original state.

Any suggestions?

You corrupted the file, which is why WoWs resets all preferences. Use a decent editor, I recommend Notepad++.

"First they nerfed the carriers and I didn't speak out because I didn't play carriers.                                    Then they nerfed the torpedoes and I didn't speak out because I didn't play IJN DDs.

Then they nerfed cruiser HE and I didn't speak out because I didn't spam HE.                                             Then they nerved concealment on every class except BB's, and I didn't speak out because I didn't have common sense

Then the BBabies came for me, and there was no one left to speak out for me."        

MechBuster #5 Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

Seaman

• Beta Tester

View Postmtm78, on 14 July 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

You corrupted the file, which is why WoWs resets all preferences. Use a decent editor, I recommend Notepad++.

You misunderstood, its not resetting all my preferences, it is simply removing that piece of code. I am editing the xml file with Notepad++ so the issue is not with that. I have confirmed the changes are saved, but as soon as I open WoWs, its as if WoWs is detecting something it does not like, and either removing the code or copying a "most recent working version" over the one I've changed.

mtm78 #6 Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View PostMechBuster, on 14 July 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

You misunderstood, its not resetting all my preferences, it is simply removing that piece of code. I am editing the xml file with Notepad++ so the issue is not with that. I have confirmed the changes are saved, but as soon as I open WoWs, its as if WoWs is detecting something it does not like, and either removing the code or copying a "most recent working version" over the one I've changed.

The game only does that when it detects a malformed file, you might have missed a bracket somewhere? I had this as well but it was because I constantly forgot a closing bracket after manually editing configuration options. 

edit: 

Also forgot, there was a keybinding I was trying to manually force through the preferences file but it wasn't saved and the game reset them all to stock each time I tried. So again, I think you still missed something in editing the file and thus corrupted the xml structure.

I edit it manually and my edit is still in there, many many patches later.

Edited by mtm78, 14 July 2015 - 08:51 PM.

"First they nerfed the carriers and I didn't speak out because I didn't play carriers.                                    Then they nerfed the torpedoes and I didn't speak out because I didn't play IJN DDs.

Then they nerfed cruiser HE and I didn't speak out because I didn't spam HE.                                             Then they nerved concealment on every class except BB's, and I didn't speak out because I didn't have common sense

Euan_Huzarmy #7 Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

Commander

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester
    In AlfaTesters

View PostMechBuster, on 14 July 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

Hello MechBuster, I can assure you that no update will change your preference file. I have not changed mine for many updates and the code stays where it should. There has to be another issue causing your problem, any mods installed that may aid in causing this?

MechBuster #8 Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:42 AM

Seaman

• Beta Tester

View Postmtm78, on 14 July 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

The game only does that when it detects a malformed file, you might have missed a bracket somewhere? I had this as well but it was because I constantly forgot a closing bracket after manually editing configuration options. 

Well, I can't explain it, but when I tried again just now, this time it worked :)

So thanks guys for the assistance. Maybe it was a stray carrage return or a tab out of place. I'm pretty sure the tags were correct last time and were both closed, but anyway, it works now :great:

Slump #9 Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:28 AM

Seaman

• Players

Okay, the Freecam is already really awesome ( Compared to how it was a pain to do in WoT )

I didn't used it for long but here are my first thoughts on how to " easily " ( No that should be actually really easy unless your engine is a mess to work with ) improve it to match 3D software level of filming possibilities ( Minus the key animation of course, but allowing this in free hand should be well enough to do great things ) :

- Rotate the camera on itself on Left/Right axis ( Let's say with 4 and 6 on the numpad so all camera movements can be centralized )

- Lock camera with boat movement while allowing camera movements itself. So you can have a decentralized camera naturally flowing with the ship ( Some kind of a mix between FreeCam and Cam centered on ship )

- Sliders ( Or at least hotkeys ) to change translate/rotate speed and others parameters at the fly ( I didn't try it yet but I guess you can modify how the Free Camera behaves in the camerasConfig file ? But having to change the file and reload replay each time you want to do a new shot would be a pain and totally counterproductive, despite being better than nothing )

All in all, the actual Freecam is really good and sufficient for any basic game demonstration. But adding those options should give it invaluable power for more cinematic driven productions.

I have an animated video in mind but I will have to wait for the T10 to realize it ( Which means a LOT of time with me ) but be sure I will share it here when it's done.

EDIT : Regarding the replays, I have nothing to say. It works very well and have all the options it needs to offer. Maybe a better rewinding process where you can control the speed of the rewind instead of jumping back, but maybe it's an engine constraint, and we can just achieve this type of effect in an editing software so that's not essential.

Edited by Slump, 18 July 2015 - 03:34 AM.

BagCharge #10 Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:01 PM

Seaman

• Beta Tester

Is there any way to edit a replay. For example I wish to send a bug report with a snippet of visual evidence so I would want to cut the replay down to the important bit. Is this possible or would I have to rely upon Bandicam or Fraps.

mtm78 #11 Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View PostBagCharge, on 14 August 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

Is there any way to edit a replay. For example I wish to send a bug report with a snippet of visual evidence so I would want to cut the replay down to the important bit. Is this possible or would I have to rely upon Bandicam or Fraps.

Replay system doesn't support making clips from a replay, 3rd party recording software is the only way.

Aslain #12 Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:33 AM

Midshipman

• Beta Tester

Is this guide for enabling replays still valid? When I tried it in 4.0.5 and 6, all I got is no replays at all, and preferences.xml is being automaticaly cleaned up from all my changes.

mtm78 #13 Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:37 AM

Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View PostAslain, on 15 August 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

Is this guide for enabling replays still valid? When I tried it in 4.0.5 and 6, all I got is no replays at all, and preferences.xml is being automaticaly cleaned up from all my changes.

Like I said in your thread I made the changes manually a long time back and they are still there, and I still got replays ( just checked to make sure, but I have my replays from yesterday ).

Are you sure your installer is doing the changes correctly?

Aslain #14 Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

Midshipman

• Beta Tester

View Postmtm78, on 15 August 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

Like I said in your thread I made the changes manually a long time back and they are still there, and I still got replays ( just checked to make sure, but I have my replays from yesterday ).

Are you sure your installer is doing the changes correctly?

I dont talk about installer, I did changes manualy, and they are always gone after 1 battle...

mtm78 #15 Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View PostAslain, on 15 August 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

I dont talk about installer, I did changes manualy, and they are always gone after 1 battle...

I can send you my preferences.xml and if the clients reverts that back to normal there is an isue, if not you didn't do the changes right? Can you post yours?

edit: deleted my attached preferences.xml, sorry it contains my login token so I can't post that unless I want my account hijacked. edit2: attached sanctified file without login details

Attached Files

• Attached File   preferences.xml   12.97K

Durandalus #16 Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

Seaman

• Beta Tester

You have to get the formatting right, even the white space has to be correct.

Use an Editor that can show white space and/or remove everything in front of those 2 lines and add 2 (two) tabs in front of each. That did it for me. Anything else and the game would overwrite the file.

oida #17 Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Seaman

• Players

Hey Brynd,

I just noticed a little mistake in your code.. take a look:

Block Quote

5. Paste these lines before </scriptsPreferences>

​         <isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

If you enter this to an editor like notepad++ you will see, there are 2 tabs before the 2nd line which is just fine.

But in the first line you have 2 tabs plus a blank, which seems to result in the true-statement for <isreplayenabled> not getting recognized.

So you just have to delete one blank before <isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

Maybe you can edit your main post since it is getting referenced pretty often and I think a lot of people are just going to copy/paste your solution  (which then sadly won't work).

Another edit:

Found the reason why copy/paste does not work, even though you probably have it right in you .xml. The block quote in this forum seems to add a blank to that line. Deleted it manually. The following should work, though I propose you to still check it in notepad++ for the correct formatting.

This should work now via copy/paste

<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

kind regards,

oida

Edited by oida, 12 October 2015 - 01:57 PM.

MaxxyNL #18 Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • In AlfaTesters

Enabling the replays works without any problem(s).

I normally don't use/store replays, but since the release of World of Warships, i noticed a rather big increase in bad behaviour in the game, therefore storing the replay(s) can be rather useful.

Small question about the code.

What function does the value 30 have in the last line of that code?

Block Quote

:honoring:

ahmedhepash_2016 #19 Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

Seaman

• Players

The game play out in the course of what to do

cpt_sparrow_jack #20 Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

Seaman

• Players

put a button for it...............

1 user(s) are reading this topic